Lee Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measure

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gander

Bearcat
Any of you guys use the Lee Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measure? I would be interested in using it mounted on my RCBS powder measure stand as a stand alone measure for pistol only. Anybody use yours this way? Have any idea what kind of thread adapter I would need? Also, would the drop tube work for 9MM, 45ACP and 38 Special cases? Thanks for the replies.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I have one, but I use it on a Lee Turret press. If you used their Powder-Through Expanding die it would almost certainly work. The measure screws directly into the top of the die, and is actuated when you run the case into the die. There really is no "drop tube" per-se, but you do need the powder/expander die for each caliber.

I like mine a lot. It's very accurate, within .2gr with W231, for instance. Because of the way the measure operates it may not be quite as accurate with stick powders, and it doesn't seem to like the little Trail Boss donuts very much, but other than that it's been great. I hand measure most of my stick powder rifle rounds anyway.

One thing: Since it's a disk operated device, you get what you get as far as measurements. For instance, one disk cavity might drop 6.5gr of of a particular powder, and the next cavity up might drop 7.2gr. If you want something in the middle you're kinda stuck. They have an adjustable cavity "disk", as well as a double disk kit if you need more powder than will fit in any single cavity. When I loaded up some real hot .44 mags with 31gr of H110 I needed to use two lever pulls at the powder station.

Once the thing is set up it rarely varies more than .1 to .2gr. Checking thrown charges becomes simply a cursory exercise. I love it for cranking out ammo.

-- Sam

45Colt_Man

Blackhawk
Sam,
I only use the adjustable charge bars on my Auto-Disks. You can stack two of them and use them on the double disk kit. Minor file work on the leg lets you stack them. Anyone needs extra disks I a have bunch of them, that came with my two progressive presses. Never tried them, have a spreadsheet with the VMD info for each type of powder I use and it tells me where to set the charge bars for the load I want. Generally real close on the first attemp. Then write down the exact setting for repeat loads.

Dana

gander

Bearcat

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Ah. I didn't look at the videos, but there is an "extended drop tube", really a riser, with a sliding inner tube, which is needed to get the measure to clear some die setups. This is really only a problem on presses with multiple dies installed, like the Turret. Since you were talking about using the measure standalone I didn't think it applied.

The extended drop tube/riser screws in between the top of the expander die and the bottom the the measure. When I move my measure to another expander die I just bring the riser along with it. It's the standard 7/8" thread like everything else.

I just realized your OP mentioned using the AD on your RCBS powder measure stand. I don't think this will work. The AD is actuated by running a shell into it. There is no external mechanism to make it throw a charge. So you have to mount the expander die to your press, mount the AD to the die, and run the shell up on the ram.

-- Sam

Fishslayer

Single-Sixer
Yosemite Sam":pbtyfaql said:
I just realized your OP mentioned using the AD on your RCBS powder measure stand. I don't think this will work. The AD is actuated by running a shell into it. There is no external mechanism to make it throw a charge. So you have to mount the expander die to your press, mount the AD to the die, and run the shell up on the ram.

-- Sam

The AD comes with a chain operated gizmo for use with their single stage presses. Not sure how it works but it is definitely manually operated.

Jeff H

Bearcat
Fishslayer":2dcnxwh5 said:
Yosemite Sam":2dcnxwh5 said:

-- Sam

The AD comes with a chain operated gizmo for use with their single stage presses. Not sure how it works but it is definitely manually operated.

but you won't be expanding the case mouth if you don't use it in a press.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I think the chain-operated gizmo is for use on one of their own progressive presses. I vaguely remember it from the instructions, and think it hooks into something on the press.

-- Sam

2Late45

Single-Sixer
The little pull chain is a safety device to make sure the sliding disc fully returns on the down-stroke of the press. This is to help over-come any less than full filling of the cavity, which might result in a squib-load...