Lee Pro 1000 JUNK!!!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

AussieShooter

Bearcat
Sorry, guys. I just have to vent.

This evening I've spent 2 hours with my Lee Pro 1000 and managed to load 47 rounds. I am completely underwhelmed by this product. What a piece of crap.

Although things went reasonably well last time I reloaded, this time I got primers sideways, primers not feeding, powder spilled everywhere... a nightmare. I had changed NOTHING on the press. So was it the way I was pulling the lever? the way I was holding my mouth? what I had for dinner?

I've read the posts where guys say they've loaded thousands of rounds on this press without incident. I take my hat off to them. However, I would counsel anyone considering a progressive press NOT to buy the Pro 1000. It blows.

contender

Ruger Guru
I recall you have a 38 SPL competition gun. here in the USA,, the USPSA used to poll the shooters at the nationals as to their equipment. They haven't done it in a few years. But,, it was this polling that helped me decide several years ago about certain things I spent my hard earned $$ on.
One of these things was the fact that 90%+ of the folks reloaded. And 90%+ of them used Dillon. I rearely saw anyone mention using a Lee Pro 1000. Now,, I know folks who have them & they seem to do ok for them. I've owned a couple of Lee shotgun loaders in the past.
I choose Dillon for the best,, and since they have this NO BS guarantee,,, they get my hard earned money!
Sorry to hear of your problems!

Snake45

Hawkeye
I've loaded tens of thousands of rounds on a Lee 1000 without problems. Sounds like you're not doing something right. Take a deep breath, analyze what's causing your problem, and fix it. You can do it!

Do yourself a favor....get rid of the 1000 and as soon as you can: if
you're loading for one handgun cartridge, buy a Dillon Square Deal B.
If you're loading for more than one cartridge buy a Dillon 550. You
will get what you pay for and more.

Dennis.

Ethang

Blackhawk
I had one in 94 so I don't know if they have improved at all since then. It dosn't sound like they have though. I was fighting the primer feed all the time. Bought a 650 and have never looked back.

slippingaway

Blackhawk
Sgt Garcia":1onft9lo said:
Do yourself a favor....get rid of the 1000 and as soon as you can: if
you're loading for one handgun cartridge, buy a Dillon Square Deal B.
If you're loading for more than one cartridge buy a Dillon 550. You
will get what you pay for and more.

Dennis.

I started with a Lee single stage, and it still gets plenty of use. But when I decided to go progressive, I bought a used Square Deal from another member here. It came set up for the caliber I needed, and had a couple broken parts. I called Dillon, and they mailed them to me for free.

Used Dillon presses cost almost as much as a new one, because they'll honor their warranty whether you're the first owner, or five-thousandth. You really do buy a lifelong machine from them, if not longer.

gregs45auto

Single-Sixer
Do you really need a progressive press? I have broken down the reloading into stages. After doing everything to get the brass ready for powder, I store what I don't need away. I use a lee auto prime. Then I add powder and bullet to the amount needed, but I am not into competiton if so it would be a dillon. greg :)

Rex Driver

Bearcat
Sir, sorry to hear about your problems, I have never owned a Lee Pro 1,000, however, I have loaded 10s of thousands of rounds on an antique Lee Three Hole Turret press with great success. I have, also, heard of horror stories with the Pro 1,000 and would never purchase one. I would buy a Dillon 550, however, I have heard that Lee Carbide dies are too short to work in them and most of my inventory of dies are lee. I guess I am destined to load on my old Lee (also bought a spare, just in case) for the rest of my life at my accepted rate of about 150 to 200 rounds per hour.

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
I see a Dillon in your future...Time is money and if it is costing you a lot - the extra price of the Dillon will be well worth it.

They make a very fine product. They stand behind it 100%

revhigh

Hawkeye
AussieShooter":3k14arhq said:
I am completely underwhelmed by this product. What a piece of crap.

Toldja so .... not worth owning at any price. :D

REV

AussieShooter

Bearcat
I'm coming round to the idea of buying a Dillon 650. At least I can still use my Lee dies in that.

I took the press to my local gun shop and got some help (which was great considering I didn't even buy the press there. Anyone visiting Perth and needing gun stuff, go see Daniel and Glen at Abcyl in Welshpool. Great guys.) Daniel managed to get it working, though when I got home I found that the case sensor on the primer feeding mechanism isn't working and I still get a primer fed when there's no case on the plate. Anyone got any ideas on that one?

Anyway, I can live with the Pro 1000 the way it's working now. But the next time it screws up.... I'll sell it and get a Dillon. Those comments people made about the value of my time versus the cost of a decent press are dead right.

kcoruol

Bearcat
If I could only have a computer controlled electric reloading press!

Where's the fun in that when I can spend hours in a hot smelly garage reloading by hand?

Latest posts