Lee Factory Crimp Die Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cworetired

Single-Sixer
Going to load for the 357 and 44spl/mag and need to know if this die works as they say? The one i am looking at also has the carbide body sizer. I will be loading lead bullets. Thanks for your help.

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
I have one for each: 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP. It does have the carbide sizer built in. I like the way it puts only a light crimp, and apparently brings the case back to factory specs, because the finished cartridge drops right into the empty chamber, (barrel removed).

45Colt_Man

Blackhawk
I use the Lee factory crimp die with all my handgun calibers, .32 H&R Mag, .357 Mag, .41 Mag, .44 Mag and .45Colt Colt they are a roll crimp on all of them and post sizer.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Works well to put anything from a light to a heavy role crimp and size the cartridge with the bullet in place. It prevents lead shaving when trying to crimp and seat the bullet at the same time. Granted you can separate seating and crimping even with the single die but that requires re-adjusting. 100% satisfied with mine in various calibers. :D

...Jimbo

revhigh

Hawkeye
Jimbo357mag":33u0t2cu said:
Works well to put anything from a light to a heavy role crimp and size the cartridge with the bullet in place.

Lee factory crimp dies don't roll crimp ... they taper crimp ...

REV

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
For sure it is a ROLL CRIMP.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=563825

Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die 44 Special, 44 Remington Magnum

Designed for loading handgun ammunition, this die is made of steel and features an internal carbide ring that sizes the cartridge while it is being crimped so every round will positively chamber freely with factory-like dependability. The adjusting screw quickly and easily sets the desired amount of crimp. Applies a factory-like crimp (roll crimp) to more firmly hold the bullet in place. A firm crimp is essential for dependable and accurate ammunition. Carbide dies do not require the use of case lube.

...JImbo

gmaske

Bearcat
revhigh":1f5xdwkf said:
Jimbo357mag":1f5xdwkf said:
Works well to put anything from a light to a heavy role crimp and size the cartridge with the bullet in place.

REV

Well then I can't quite figure out were that crimp came from on them 357's I just rolled. :wink:
You can set it for anything from a very light to a really heavy crimp. I picked up the die for everything I load. I really like em a lot.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
There is a note on the Lee Taper Crimp Die that says that since 1986 all their crimp dies do add a slight taper to the case.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=696792

Lee Taper Crimp Die 44 Special, 44 Remington Magnum

The Lee Taper Crimp Die is hardened steel designed to overcome crimp problems caused by poor die design. These dies offer little or no advantage when used with 1986 or newer Lee dies as the crimp angle is already a modified taper crimp. Jacketed bullets must have a crimp groove (cannelure). Shellholder sold separately. Comes shipped with a plastic storage case.

Jimbo

mike7mm08

Buckeye
All lee factory crimp dies for autoloading cartridges are a taper crimp as they headspace on the case mouth. Other cartridges are a roll crimp. I use the lee factory crimp die on all my pistol ammo and on some rifle as well. They work great and I like crimping in a separate operation easier than readjusting the seating die or finding the sweet spot to seat and crimp properly in one step.

demo_slug

Single-Sixer
revhigh":d1k586jf said:

REV

that is incorrect.

some Lee factory crimps roll, some taper. believe it. I have a Colt 45 factory crimp and a 45 ACP factory crimp. both came in 4 die sets. I can post pictures of the crimped bullets if you don't believe me. the ACP die tappers and the 45Colt rolls.

that said. if I use a bullet with a crimp groove, I'll use the roll crimp. if it doesn't have a crimp grove then I'll use the tapper crimp. the roll crimp feels like it hits a brick wall if there isn't a crimp groove to roll the case into.

for example we bought a big old box of rainier copper plated bullets for 357 mag. when they came. surprise, no crimp groove. WTF. totally useless. we call rainier and they "recommend" a taper crimp. so we had to buy a 357 taper crimp to salvage the bullets. it was only $15 for the die.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
The lee factory crimp die that roll crimps will work just fine on bullets without a groove. Any case distortion caused by not crimping into a groove is ironed out as you pull the cartridge out of the die. That is the beauty of the lee die it sizes again after crimping. Also factor in the fact that rainer are rather soft bullets and you will easily create a crimp groove when you crimp.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
90% of what I load and shoot are Rainier copper plated bullets without crimp grooves. The lead and plating is soft enough that you don't need a groove. You do have to be careful to get the inside case mouth smooth and apply just enough crimp to do the job.

I would expect 45acp and other headless cartridge die sets to come with a taper crimp die. Not surprised there. The OP is about 357mag and 44sp / 44mag. :D

..Jimbo

Cherokee

Single-Sixer
One additional comment - I use a Lee FCD for 45 ACP with jacketed bullets (.451 size) but I will not use it with cast bullets. My cast bullet loads are .452 or .453 size and the FCD will resize the seated bullet - not a good thing IHO. Don't know about the FCD for 38/357 or 44 as I do not use them but I would guess the same thing happens to cast bullets.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I don't know that the FCD is different (roll vs. taper) for some calibers vs. others. It would make sense, but I have never read anything from Lee which indicates this.

However, Lee indicates that their regular seating die will do a taper crimp if you have it adjusted to do a light crimp after seating.

Just goin' by what I've read. I haven't tried to load any semi auto rounds using Lee dies yet.

-- Sam

revhigh

Hawkeye
I stand corrected guys ... I guess the non-auto Lee dies are roll crimps. I even looked it up on the Lee website first. The 45ACP die that I had definitely didn't Roll crimp, but maybe (obviously) the revolver calibers do.

Sorry.

REV

demo_slug

Single-Sixer
lee's documentation of the LFC is murky, they may even do it on purpose. so comfusion is completely understandable.

when I ordered my 45 colt die set, I had no idea what the LFC die was going to do. I have to admit that I thought it would ba a taper or a combination taper roll crimp or do some magic crimp. but after trying it, it is a failure at anthing but roll crimping on a bullet with a crimp groove.
which it does that very well. so I'm very please with it. and the whole dieset only costs $26 so its hard to same anything bad about the die set. its cheap as dirt and works great.

if had I already owned a good Crimp die and bought the LFC to get the "great features" I might have been mildly disapoitned at wasting $15.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
The Lee die also resizes after crimping. Which is the best thing about it. When you apply a heavy roll crimp you can bulge the case. The lee die irons the case bulge out unlike other crimp dies.