Lee collet dies vs. neck-sizing with regular FL dies?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

platypus

Bearcat
Is there any REAL difference in using the Lee collet neck-sizing dies compared to simply backing out regular full-length RCBS or Hornady dies just a bit to neck-size rifle cases? If so, what are the nitty-gritty details and which will give me better brass life and accuracy? (I'm reloading mostly for the basics like .223, .22-250, .308, .30-06, 7mm Mag, and .338 Mag. I also will be starting with .22 Hornet soon). I understood that if neck-sizing only, I need to stick with the same bolt action rifle with a particular lot of brass as well as full-length size for semiautos and lever actions. I'm not shooting paper so sub-MOA accuracy isn't quite as important to me as is brass life...although I love to get as much accuracy as I can just like anyone else. Any help is much appreciated!

--Platypus

I only have one set of collet dies and don't use them much. The advantage is less case stretching during sizing. Since I have multiple rifles per caliber, I normally full length size everything. Just my opinion BUT, I wouldn't use necksized brass for hunting anything except varmints. Some of my tight chambered rifles balk on even full length sized cases.

platypus

Bearcat
I was thinking something along the same line as you regarding full-length sizing any brass I was going to take out hunting. I do, however, enjoy shooting many of my rifles at coyotes and jack rabbits, etc. to practice up for when I actually do get to go use them doing the "real thing". Obviously I'm not doing this every weekend with my .338 Win Mag and 7mm Rem Mag, but I do go out quite a bit with my .30 cal rifles and smaller...so brass life is quite a concern of mine. If anyone reading this has much experience with both Lee Collet dies as well as neck-sizing with regular FL dies by backing them out a bit, I would love to learn from you! Thanks!

kelbro

Single-Sixer
The Lee collet dies work very well. Limited case stretching and they produce very straight ammo. Couple them with a Redding body die and you're good to go.

CLAYPOOL

Single-Sixer
Rotate your cases 1/2 of a turn and resize a second time..that is practiced by a lot of reloaders for improved neck aliment (sp)...

pbslinger

Single-Sixer
I like them a lot. They make very accurate loads with little effort. Use some fine wet or dry to deburr the slots in the collet where the collet touches the neck. Appy a little grease on the tapered part of the collet that touches the screw in part that holds the decap pin.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

My experience w/ the Lee collet die is limited to one caliber, .303 British, which CAN be a bugger on case life. It's been recommended just to neck size that cartridge for as long as I've paid attention to such stuff...

Now, I started w/ a rifle that had a headspace problem which made the problem worse, and if I could get three firings from a case (full length sized) I thought I was doing well. Got the headspace squared away and gained another firing w/ full length sizing, and sometimes two if I did the "poor boy's" neck sizing drill w/ my FL die instead of FL, so 4-5 firings became the norm.

Then a Lee collet die showed up on the porch. And since putting it in service, I've got brass w/ SEVEN firings that's still good for at least one more. I normally trim and anneal my other rifle brass after five firings. Doing that w/ the collet sized brass showed almost no need for trimming.

So my one experience has been good! I FL size all my '06 ammo as it may get shot in more than one rifle, but plan to add a collet die for that caliber and see what happens w/ some brass dedicated to just one rifle next time I rotate some new brass into the mix...

Rick C

Latest posts