Lee Classic turret press

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I think I mentioned that little "indexing ratchet" (the part that was broken on the Cabelas display unit) before. Yep, it's a little 3/8" square of plastic that the whole works rely on. Get some extras when you get the press.

As long as you're gentle with it, and don't try to force the turret to a new station with the ram in the "down" position, it's fine. But it takes some time to get used to it, and that's how I broke the first one. Again, Lee gave me a little bag with 3-4 of the things in it "just in case", but I've only used one other one. You can also buy them from Midway for $1.99 each.

Primers are different, depending on what you're loading (small, large, magnum, rifle, pistol, etc). Four die sets usually have a separate crimping die, either 3 or 4 would probably be fine for .38 special in a revolver. I clean my cases every time.

-- Sam

thumbs

Single-Sixer
thanks Sam

Ok in other words if it calls for small pistol primers then there is only one right? There isn't different levels of power in, say a small pistol primer. If I get a box of small pistol primers they are all the same power wise right? I think the federals are more sensitive so I think I will stay away from them but if I get say CCI's there is only one small pistol primer.
Physical sizes are different in primers but not the power as long as you stay with the same size?

Yes you did mention that part. I took a look at the one on display and it looks like the bar that the plastic thing rides on is square except for a couple of inches at that bottom where it is twisted. Cabelas didn't have any of the square plastic pieces. I'll just have to be careful, and lucky.

Thanks

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Yosemite Sam":1yp8ine1 said:
Yep, it's a little 3/8" square of plastic that the whole works rely on. Get some extras when you get the press.

Hi,

Good advice!

Dunno if the Classic turret uses the same indexing bits the original turret did, but once upon a time I read the original plastic gizmo's got a life expectancy of around 6-8k rounds. That's enough to give most users plenty of time to load in between "servicing" intervals, but it's always good to have a spare of anything likely to give up (look at the "small parts" packages Dillon offers! Even their machines may appreciate a minor tune up once in a while... ;) )

Of course, one can always ascribe to the old racers' adage: "Anything you have a spare for won't break!"

Rick C

Shoot44

Single-Sixer
Well, I've heard about breaking that piece in several fora, but neither I or my son have done it, and we've loaded thousands of rounds. Of course with any machine, you can't force or jam it, or something could break.

As far as primers go, no, all small pistol primers are NOT alike. There are 'normal' and there are 'magnum' primers; (similarly for large pistol primers). You should use the type called for in the book from which you are getting that particular load recipe. Magnum primers are 'hotter', and WILL produce higher pressures than 'normal' primers with the same powder charge and bullet. As to the different primer manufacturers, they also vary a bit. That is why one always 'starts low and works up'. Once you have a load that works, if you change anything, (and particularly if you are near the max load!!), always 'start over' at a lower load and work up again. SAFETY FIRST!

P.S. I clean my cases every time I shoot them. Keeps the grit off the dies as well as keeping things tidy. And yes, by all means get the carbide die set. No need to mess with case lube that way. In addition, I use the 4-die Lee set for all my reloading. I love that Lee "Factory Crimp Die". Using it for soft lead bullets can be a problem, but that is a long story, and I wouldn't worry about that issue yet.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
FWIW, I was recently told that Lee has a note about "not" cleaning your cases, since the carbon can act as a lube in the die. I've always cleaned mine so as not to spread crud around my work area, and specifically to keep the dies clean. I haven't read the note on Lee's site myself, but then, they hide things in all sorts of odd places.

I still tumble clean my brass, and lube bottleneck rifle rounds. I've recently taken to squirting some One Shot on every 5th revolver case, and the process seems to like that little bit of attention. I did load up a half dozen dirty cases once to finish off a batch...

-- Sam

thumbs

Single-Sixer
Thanks for all your help guys. I'm learning a lot here. I picked up a copy of the Lee Modern Reloading Manual - 2nd Edition today. I'm sure this will make for interesting reading also.

thumbs

Single-Sixer
Still tryin to get my list in order. Of course I'm tryin to keep the initial cost down but don't want it to cost me later, if that's possible.
I was lookin a the Lee Zip Trim Power Head Case Trimmer. I was wondering if any of you guyes use this thing. If it works it looks like I can trim, clean, deburr and chamfer while in the chuck. I am hopeing I won't have to get a tumbler right off the bat and the Zip trim would save me a little on a case trimmer. Watcha think?

thanks again

Enigma

Hunter
thumbs":1tlbbf3p said:
I didn't get the manual yet but does anyone use Winchester 296 powder to load .380, 38special and +P, and 357? Just wonderin if there are loads for these rounds. I have about 3lbs I use to load shot shells. It says for pistols also on the can. Are there loads for these rounds?

thanks

Buy at least two reloading manuals.

You can use 296 to load medium-to-full-power .357s; it's too slow-burning to be useful in .380 - W231 would be a much better choice for that cartridge. I'm at work and don't have any reloading references available, but I doubt that 296 is suitable for .38 +P loads. Google 'Hodgdon Reloading Data Center' for online reloading data for Hodgdon, Winchester, and IMR brand powders.

Nobody (well, hardly anyone) trims pistol brass.

thumbs

Single-Sixer
I didn't know that, thanks. I was on the Hodgdon site. It looks like Winchester Autocomp is the powder that will do all three. Ok then pistol brass doesn't really get longer. Well that helps. That saves a bit right there. I know this may sound dumb but do I still need a deburring, chamfering tool if I don't trim the cases?

Shoot44

Single-Sixer
thumbs":158snf65 said:
I was lookin a the Lee Zip Trim Power Head Case Trimmer. I was wondering if any of you guyes use this thing. If it works it looks like I can trim, clean, deburr and chamfer while in the chuck. I am hopeing I won't have to get a tumbler right off the bat and the Zip trim would save me a little on a case trimmer. Watcha think?

thanks again

Hey, if you want a 'Zip trimmer', I have one you can have for the postage it takes to get it to you. I bought it, but then started chucking the case holder for the trimmer in my cordless drill. That works SO well, (if you really need to trim, etc.), that I've never had that Zip trimmer out of the box since. Note: the one I'm talking about is just a little device that you chuck the case into and pull a little cord or something to rotate it. No power tool involved in it. If that's what you are talking about, you can have mine.

P.S. No, IMHO you do not need a deburring tool if you don't trim the cases. I rarely use mine.

thumbs

Single-Sixer
How accurate is the powder measure that mounts to the Lee Classic turret press? The one that uses the disks? I want to be able to load some 380 acp's and it has to be pretty close.

thanks

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
thumbs":b2n11dcg said:
How accurate is the powder measure that mounts to the Lee Classic turret press? The one that uses the disks? I want to be able to load some 380 acp's and it has to be pretty close.

thanks
Depends on the powder, but I've found it to be pretty accurate with ball and flake powders. Trail Boss's big donuts can cause bridging, and I haven't tried any stick/extruded rifle powders. With flake or ball I get under .2gr consistency.

The biggest problem with the disk system is that the cavities are set to specific sizes (obviously). If cavity #44 throws too light a charge, #45 might throw too much. (You're trying for 4.0gr and the first one meters 3.6 and the next meters 4.4.) There is an adjustable disk you can get for it, if this proves to be a problem.

-- Sam

thumbs

Single-Sixer
I don't know where Winchester 231 lands. Would this work pretty well in that powder measure or would it be better to get one that stands alone like the one Lee has?

desertrat

Single-Sixer
I also bought the Lee Classic Turret Press a few years ago after using a single station Lee press for 20+ yrs prior. It's a heckuva good value and very well built and strong press. I highly recommend it for moderate to moderately high output rates of reloads.

As far as what it costs to reload a box of ammo vs. factory cost, I've noticed that there usually seems to be a 2:1 spread between the two no matter what inflation brings. In other words it usually costs about 1/2 the amount to reload as it does to buy a box of factory, IMO. So, no matter how expensive reloading components get, factory loads seem to always be double that.

sebtool

Blackhawk
thumbs":3dm468sk said:
I don't know where Winchester 231 lands. Would this work pretty well in that powder measure or would it be better to get one that stands alone like the one Lee has?

Got this from the 'other' forum, that IOWEGAN posted, didn't want to get the mods aggravated. :wink:

Smokeless Powder Burn Rate Chart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fastest
1. R-1 (Norma)
2. N-310 (Vihtavuori)
3. AP-30N (ADI)
4. Bullseye (Alliant)
5. Solo 1000 (Scot)
6. N-312 (Vihtavuori)
7. Titewad (Hodgdon)
8. AS (Vectan)
9. Red Dot (Alliant)
10. AS-30N (ADI)
11. AA-2 (Accurate Arms)
12. Clays (Hodgdon)
13. AP-50N (ADI)
14. 700X (IMR)
15. Nitro 100 (Accurate Arms)
16. Titegroup (Hodgdon)
17. American Select (Alliant)
18. N-320 (Vihtavuori)
19. Royal Scot (Scot)
20. Green Dot (Alliant)
21. AS-50N (ADI)
22. International (Hodgdon)
23. 231 (Winchester)
24. 453 (Scot)
25. HP-38 (Hodgdon)
26. AO (Vectan)
27. N-330 (Vihtavuori)
28. PB (IMR)
29. AA-5 (Accurate Arms)
30. Pearl Scot (Scot)
31. Unique (Alliant)
32. WSL (Winchester)
33. Power Pistol (Alliant)
34. AP-70N (ADI)
35. 1250 (Accurate Arms)
36. Universal (Hodgdon)
37. SR 7625 (IMR)
38. 800X (IMR)
39. Herco (Alliant)
40. HS-6 (Hodgdon)
41. AP-90 (API)]
42. N-340 (Vihtavuori)
43. WSF (Winchester)
44. AP-100 (ADI)
45. 540 (Winchester)
46. SP-2 (Vectan)
47. Solo 1250 (Scot)
48. 3N37 (Vihtavuori)
49. WAP (Winchester)
50. 571 (Winchester)
51. AA-7 (Accurate Arms)
52. Solo 1500 (Scot)
53. N-350 (Alliant)
54. Blue Dot (Alliant)
55. N-105 (Vihtavuori)
56. 2400 (Alliant)
57. AA-9 (Accurate Arms)
58. N-110 (Vihtavuori)
59. R-123 (Norma)
60. 296 (Winchester)
61. H-110 (Hodgdon)
62. Lil’ Gun (Hodgdon)
63. SR-4759 (IMR)
64. N-120 (Vihtavuori)
65. 5784 (Accurate Arms)
66. 4227 (IMR)
67. AR-2205 (ADI)
68. H-4227 (Hodgdon)
69. SP-3 (Vectan)
70. 1680 (Accurate Arms)
71. N-130 (Vihtavuori)
72. N-200 (Norma)
73. N-133 (Vihtavuori)
74. Brig 4197 (Scot)
75. 4198 (IMR)
76. AR-2207 (ADI)
77. H-4198 (Hodgdon)
78. 2015 (Accurate Arms)
79. Reloader 7 (Alliant)
80. BM-1 (ADI)
81. 3031 (IMR)
82. N-201 (Norma)
83. H-322 (Hodgdon)
84. BM-2 (ADI)
85. 2230 (Accurate Arms)
86. Brig 3032 (Scot)
87. 4895 (IMR)
88. 2495-BR (Accurate Arms)
89. H-4895 (Hodgdon)
90. AR-2206 (ADI)
91. H-335 (Hodgdon)
92. 2460 (Accurate Arms)
93. Reloader 12 (Alliant)
94. N-135 (Vihtavuori)
95. 5000 (Vectan)
96. 4064 (IMR)
97. Reloader 15 (Alliant)
98. AR-2208 (ADI)
99. Brig 4065 (Scot)
100. Varget (Hodgdon)
101. 2520 (Accurate Arms)
102. 4064 (Accurate Arms)
103. 4320 (IMR)
104. 748 (Winchester)
105. N-202 (Norma)
106. N-540 (Vihtavuori)
107. N-140 (Vihtavuori)
108. BL-C2 (Hodgdon)
109. 2700 (Accurate Arms)
110. H-380 (Hodgdon)
111. N-550 (Vihtavuori)
112. N-150 (Vihtavuori)
113. 760 (Winchester)
114. H-414 (Hodgdon)
115. 4350 (Accurate Arms)
116. AR-2209 (ADI)
117. 7000 (Vectan)
118. 4350 (IMR)
119. H-4350 (Hodgdon)
120. N-204 (Norma)
121. Brig 4351 (Scot)
122. N-160 (Vihtavuori)
123. N-560 (Vihtavuori)
124. 4831 (IMR)
125. AR-2213 (ADI)
126. 3100 (Accurate Arms)
127. H-450 (Hodgdon)
128. Reloader 19 (Alliant)
129. AR-2213SC (ADI)
130. H-4831 (Hodgdon)
131. MRP (Norma)
132. Reloader 22 (Alliant)
133. N-165 (Vihtavuori)
134. 7828 (IMR)
135. WMR (Winchester)
136. AR-2217 (ADI)
137. H-1000 (Hodgdon)
138. Reloader 25 (Alliant)
139. N-170 (Vihtavuori)
140. AR-2214 (ADI)
141. H-50BMG (Hodgdon)
142. 24N41 (Vihtavuori)
143. 8700 (Accurate Arms)
144. H-5010 (Hodgdon)
145. AR-2218 (ADI)
146. H-870 (Hodgdon)
147. 20N29 (Vihtavuori)
Slowest

Also, you can access load charts for several manufacturers online, tho I prefer the manuals. Easier to read, more info, easier to find. But this way you don't have to buy 27 fdifferent manuals, even though you should have at least 3. Here are a couple links:

http://www.alliantpowder.com/default.aspx
http://www.hodgdon.com/

Plus an unaffiliated site - http://www.accuratereloading.com/
and another - http://www.loaddata.com/home/index.cfm? ... N=43784988

and another burn chart just fer grins :wink:
http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html

As far as picking up reloading equipment, don't be afraid of buying used, especially on an upstanding forum like this 1. the stuff's available for sale on most forums, as well as feebay, and your local craigslist, classified ads, etc. If you belong to a gun club, or go to a range, post a 'wanted' ad.

Good luck, and have fun. It's a satisfying hobby, and unless you start shooting ALOT more(stranger things have happened!) :roll: you will save some $$$$!

thumbs

Single-Sixer
Well I've had the Lee Classic Turret press now for a week or so. I've loaded 250 rounds of 380 ammo with it and can't imagine a better press. Ok I have no other experience but I just can't imagine another press working better. I have had a few mistakes but they were my fault. Most of them were from not cycling the arm completely. That was my fault. The disk powder measure works great very accurate and the safety primer works great also. The primer takes a little getting use to but once you get the idea it works perfectly. Very pleased with the setup.

desertrat

Single-Sixer
Yes, if I had to complain about anything concerning the Lee Classic Turret Press system it would be the safety priming rig. Generally, it works very well until you get down to the last 1 or 2 primers and then they won't come out. That's the only complaint though.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
desertrat":rojhtm4r said:
Yes, if I had to complain about anything concerning the Lee Classic Turret Press system it would be the safety priming rig. Generally, it works very well until you get down to the last 1 or 2 primers and then they won't come out. That's the only complaint though.
I finally wore mine out, no idea of the round count. The white part (large primer insert trigger) stopped picking up primers from the feed stem completely. I got in touch with Lee and they sent me a replacement within a week, free of charge. Never even asked me if I was the original owner, no identification other than my mailing address.

-- Sam

Chief_10Beers

Blackhawk
Yosemite Sam":2psdit51 said:
desertrat":2psdit51 said:
I finally wore mine out, no idea of the round count. The white part (large primer insert trigger) stopped picking up primers from the feed stem completely. I got in touch with Lee and they sent me a replacement within a week, free of charge. Never even asked me if I was the original owner, no identification other than my mailing address.

-- Sam

Was it over 2 years old?...........................