Lead Bullet Questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

islander

Bearcat
Well I'm ready to load with lead. Need some opinions please. Seems like Missouri is a good source, and I like how they specify the hardness so you can match load pressures to hardness and avoid leading. Any reason not to buy from them?

Second option is Hornady, I've been loading their jacketed bullets and am confident of their quality, but their lead bullets are a little more expensive - are they worth it?

And lastly, I haven't slugged my GP100 cylinders or barrel, but it seems like the standard bullet diameter is .358, some offer .357. Which is proper?

mattsbox99

Hunter
The main purpose of slugging is to find any possible constrictions, and to verify that all cylinder throats are identical.

If you have constrictions, you'll need to firelap to prevent leading. I recommend it anyway as I've never found a barrel that hasn't improved with hand or fire lapping.

Hornady's lead bullets are pretty soft, I've shot both Hornady and Speer and while they have been pretty accurate, they are too expensive to shoot much of and I get a better deal casting my own.

dougader

Hunter
I like the Missouri Bullets. Good quality at a fair price.

Slugging the barrel is the best way to tell which diameter bullet works best for your particular gun. Usually .001" over is a good place to start. You can read and learn a lot in the castboolits website, too.

contender

Ruger Guru
All the above is good advice.
Hornady lead,, is usually a softer swaged type. Don't plan on pushing them too fast. Check their manuels for suggested loads to see what I mean.

stare-decisis

Single-Sixer
I like MO bullets too. Great prices. I also use Grandmaster bullets, they offer more of the lighter .358 bullets like 105/115/125 gr.
I usually go .358 and as mentioned start from there.

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
Got my first batch of Mo. bullets. Service was quick, bullets are beautiful. Loaded up a box tonight.

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
dougader":3eiem3dr said:
Slugging the barrel is the best way to tell which diameter bullet works best for your particular gun. Usually .001" over is a good place to start.

IMHO, I would recommend that you "slug" and then measure your cylinder throats with a regular pair of mikes. You want your cast lead bullet to just be a gentle push-through or a light tap-through in order to be the correct size for your gun. If you have a dial-i.d. mike or plug gauges, your job is easier.
Sonnytoo

islander

Bearcat
I'll be ordering some plug gages to establish the cylinder diameters. They measured .357-.358" with my calipers but that's not an accurate way to measure. Supposed to be .3575". Thanks for all the input.