LCR rattle

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ruger ry

Bearcat
I got a LCR for christmas. It sounds like something is loose in the hammer area. When I shake it, sounds like a rattle. Anybody ever hear this? :( I guess i have to send another brand new gun [SR9} back to Ruger. any help would be great.

paul s

Bearcat
No sweat, they all rattle. Ruger should fix that, its a turn off for many?

mike7mm08

Buckeye
There is no fix. The transfer bar is rattling around not uncommon with any double action that has a transfer bar. Of course it is more noticeable on the LCR. I assume there needs to be a lot of play in the transfer to accommodate something in the newly designed trigger system. As far as not good for concealed carry I would not worry. Your keys or change in your pocket makes more noise than the transfer bar rattle.

DMZ

Bearcat
This must be about the 3rd LCR rattle thread.

I think the a tattle is more noticeable in the LCR because of the polymer frame.

piratedude

Single-Sixer
Its bad for CCW though because when you are sneaking around hiding in the shadows and waiting for your victim to leave the theater and head to their car, they may hear it rattling around. Which is why I prefer to go "a-mugging" with a K-bar as it has no moving parts and makes less noise. :roll:

ruger ry

Bearcat
Ruger web site quote "Sometimes when I shake my Ruger LCR revolver, I hear a slight rattle; is that normal?
Like all newly manufactured Ruger revolvers, your LCR has a transfer bar safety system as part of the fire control mechanism. As a result, a hammer blow can be transmitted to the firing pin only when the trigger is pulled all the way to the rear. This is a positive internal safety feature. By design, the transfer bar is allowed some movement within the fire control mechanism so that trigger pull is not affected. Due to this necessary "play" in the transfer bar, a shooter will sometimes hear the transfer bar "rattle" when the revolver is shaken. This rattle caused by the play in the transfer bar is completely normal in the LCR." Hope they can fix this, anybody know of a way to reduce rattle. I guess i can shoot it now?

DocGlock

Bearcat
ruger ry":2zzzuuuf said:
Hope they can fix this, anybody know of a way to reduce rattle. I guess i can shoot it now?

Can't fix what isn't broke. Even if the transfer bar made no noise, you would still have a rattle when you shake it, unless you keep it unloaded 8)

tek4260

Buckeye
To be sure it is the transfer bar, shake it with the trigger held all the way to the rear after you have dry fired it. That way the transfer bar will be pinched between the hammer and firing pin and should not rattle. If this stops it, a nice glob of somewhat heavy grease on the transfer bar should stop the rattle, but I hesitate to recommed this due to the fact that the grease will attract dust and grit and could cause issues...