LCR Question-Is his normal?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Redstick

Single-Sixer
I don't see anything wrong from the pic, but now that you have closely inspected it, if something should start to go wrong, it would be more easily recognized. Like if something looks "different" in another 50 or 200 rounds...

nn

Single-Sixer
It is not shinny alu, so probably tool marks before they coated the alu.

GilaMonster

Bearcat
mine looks like that as well.

I think it is just tool marks. hasnt changed in appearance after about 200+ rounds.

also, similar marks appear in the aluminum frame at the back side of the top strap on mine... above where the firing pin is located. seriously doubt that is from powder burns...

GilaMonster

Bearcat
DA_TriggR4Ruger":2fdmqh9a said:
Those are tool marks?? :shock: YUK

I wrote "I THINK they are tool marks" because that's what they look like to me.

Take a look at any revolver...be it a Ruger, S&W, High Standard, you name it... all of them have areas that are not 'show-finished' -- inside the frame for instance, surrounding the cylinder -- on the frame, under the grips.

All of them have rougher surfaces than are evident on the outside of the gun... tool marks or casting marks that are not hand-finished because they do not show.

In my opinion, that is what those marks on my LCR look like.

You may say 'yuk' if you like, but take a close look at any of your guns...

NMCB3

Bearcat
My LCR had a huge (relatively speaking) hole blown into the frame with aluminum alloy splatter blown back onto the cylinder actually damaging it directly above every charge hole. Your picture doesn't look anything like mine did, I think your fine.

kris7047th

Bearcat
NMCB3":27ellyjz said:
My LCR had a huge (relatively speaking) hole blown into the frame with aluminum alloy splatter blown back onto the cylinder actually damaging it directly above every charge hole. Your picture doesn't look anything like mine did, I think your fine.

What happened to your gun? What ammo did you use? I have both the LCR and a LCP and I called Ruger to ask what ammo is good to go and which NOT to put through to avoid damage. I was told to stay away from Megtech (too hot) and all foreign made ammo that is not sammi spec. Reloads can cause damage also if not done properly.

revhigh

Hawkeye
kris7047th":1gusgvpd said:
I was told to stay away from Megtech (too hot) .

That is total CRAP. 38+P ammo, no matter whta brand, is loaded to the correct specs here in the USA. Use whatever ammo you want as long as it corresponds to the caliber of the gun. THere's absolutely nothing wrong with Magtech ammo. Too HOT ?? Give me a break. Ask Ruger to put that in writing and see what response you get ...

kris7047th

Bearcat
revhigh":1964hfur said:
kris7047th":1964hfur said:

That is total CRAP. 38+P ammo, no matter whta brand, is loaded to the correct specs here in the USA. Use whatever ammo you want as long as it corresponds to the caliber of the gun. THere's absolutely nothing wrong with Magtech ammo. Too HOT ?? Give me a break. Ask Ruger to put that in writing and see what response you get ...

My apologies.... megtech for the LCP is too hot, not the LCR. There is not the concern for .38 +p in the revolver, but there has been LCRs burn up and I believe the guy used reloads not bought ammo. He had posted pics of the LCR and it really blew a hole.... again my apologies for the confusion that I caused.

ranger7

Bearcat
kris7047th":1mu92she said:
revhigh":1mu92she said:
kris7047th":1mu92she said:
-big snip-
but there has been LCRs burn up and I believe the guy used reloads not bought ammo. He had posted pics of the LCR and it really blew a hole.... again my apologies for the confusion that I caused.

Still think you need to offer another apology. Your statement, "there has been LCRs burn up" might more truthfully read, "there was one report of possible ammo damage to an LCR".
LCRs, burned up and blew a hole seem to be gross exageration

NMCB3

Bearcat
kris7047th":2l3ik8wc said:
NMCB3":2l3ik8wc said:

What happened to your gun? What ammo did you use? I have both the LCR and a LCP and I called Ruger to ask what ammo is good to go and which NOT to put through to avoid damage. I was told to stay away from Megtech (too hot) and all foreign made ammo that is not sammi spec. Reloads can cause damage also if not done properly.
There is a whole thread about it, it basically just self destructed. I didn't use any ammo out of the ordinary and Ruger just replaced the whole gun.

darkwater67

Single-Sixer
newrugerlcrowner":12sksyka said:
My LCR looked exactly like the gentleman's on the youtube link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0h3tz4pAF0. This was after only 150 rounds. I sent mine in to Ruger and they replaced it and gave me the CT laser grips free of charge. I have since put over 200 rounds on the new replacement and haven't noticed any problems.

Glad to hear....I've only heard of a few cases so far, out of the thousands or more that have been sold. And of the ones that have had problems, Ruger made it good, or like your case, made it even better.

K9-Bob

Bearcat
What type of ammo were you guys using that caused the LCR to flame cut? Was it +P 125 grain ammo?

I just bought a LCR yesterday and haven't taken it to the range yet and was wondering what ammo to avoid.

Redhawk4

Single-Sixer
It seems to me if you are going to use an aluminum frame, that some type of steel insert in that area would be desirable for the longevity of the revolver.

It is weird how the problem only affects certain guns, because surely the metal is the same for all of them, and assuming people are using the same ammo in their replacements, that have not exhibited these problems, it's not ammo related. Could it be something to do with the tolerance on the gap between the cylinder and forcing cone or alignment, causing more gas pressure? It's scary how quickly it happens if you are unfortunate to get a bad one or could happen, if the one you have was to suddenly start having this issue.

It's great that Ruger are taking care of people having the problem, I'm just fascinated to know the cause -has Ruger commented to anyone as to what they think the problem is?