LCR lock? Where is it? Under the grips or easily accessible?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

crofoot629

Bearcat
First I'm assuming the LCR has some sort of keyed lock that locks the gun from being fired.

Where is the lock located, and can it be used without removing the grips?

Thanks in advance,
Emory

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Under the grip not accessible. I suppose you could drill a hole in the grip to access it. Ruger put the lock there to satisfy lock requirements. But they smartly realized 99.9% of the consumers did not want a lock much less a visible one. The best thing about the lock on the LCR is that it is a design used previously in other Rugers. There have been no issues with the lock at all. Unlike the Smith and Wesson lock.

crofoot629

Bearcat
Thanks for the reply and the welcome. I've actually been a member of this Forum for some time, but guess it's been so long between visits I had to register again?

I'm a bit of a S&W guy, not knowledgeable enough to call myself a collector, but I am primarily only interested in S&W's produced prior to 1957, and don't own any with a lock. I actually don't own any guns with locks, and find it hard to imagine the circumstances that I'd buy a S&W with a lock. I'd consider a Ruger though, with their more proven design.

I was considering a LCR for my wife. Her requirements are different than mine. I never carry off body, she would. We also have young children. My wife is not a gun person, though she's been to two Clint Smith handgun classes and both times shot a Glock 22. So she's fairly competent, but her needs and wants are different than mine.

Thanks again,
Emory

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome Back!
So what if you are more of a S&W guy. You seem smart enough to recognize the good stuff from Ruger as well, and are willing to get your wife what she wants/needs.
Don't be concerned with the infernal lock system from Ruger. As mentioned,, their design is a smart one to where it doesn't interfer with the action at all,, and is out of sight & leaves the liability up to the owner.
They've had the lock out for a few years now in other models,, and I have as yet to see ANY Ruger drilled for the key to use the lock.