LCR Just Broke-Bummer

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mickeyboat

Bearcat
My almost brand new Ruger LCR just broke. It locked up tight and would not cycle at all. I took it apart and it appears that the issue is with the transfer bar (gad I hate those). The trigger was just starting to get real smooth. There is a small post that is part of the trigger that appears to have just broken off. This post holds the bottom of the transfer bar in position. I am going to send it back to Ruger for it to be repaired. Some questions:

1. Will Ruger send me a preprinted and paid label to cover shipping costs or do I have to pay for warranty shipping?
2. Is this a common issue? Not good for a self defense gun.
3. Will I have to start all over and shoot enough ammo to get the trigger action back smooth again? If so, that's expensive.
4. The trigger pull on this LCR is heavier than a couple of friends LCRs. Is it common for them to vary a lot out of the box?

Prior to this I really liked the little revolver!!

Thanks in advance. Mickey

WANT A LCR 22LR

Bearcat
Did the trigger get occasionally crunchy before it locked up? Did it misfire before the total failure?

It's taken me a while to figure this out, but my LCR will sometimes not fire the 2 nd or 3 rd round. The primer does not have a strike mark when this happens, I'll have 2 shells with primer hits, a untouched shell , then a primer hit. ( I've been practicing in groups of 3 and sometimes am leaving out a random shell to work on ignoring misfires and concentrate on counting bangs. )

Today the trigger locked up on the first round of the day, releasing then pulling allowed it to fire. Ran 200 plus with no problems.

I've also noticed the trigger must be fully released before pulling again, like _all_ the way off the trigger. This might just be the design. Trigger pull feels lighter than my GP100. Both guns have about 600 rounds each through them.

What is SASS ?

Snobal

Bearcat
I like to avoid "new" gun designs for 20 years or so until the bugs get worked out.

Since few folks actually shoot more than a box or three of ammo through their guns, it takes a while to identify problems.

By the way, I'm sure happy with my SP101! :D

I keep a log on each gun and when I have 20,000 rounds or so through it I'll try to remember to update this.

I've only put 571 rounds through the SP101 since I got in 3 months ago --- so this project may take a while. :roll:

JMHO

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
Snobal":2apvvot5 said:
I like to avoid "new" gun designs for 20 years or so until the bugs get worked out.

Since few folks actually shoot more than a box or three of ammo through their guns, it takes a while to identify problems.

By the way, I'm sure happy with my SP101! :D

I keep a log on each gun and when I have 20,000 rounds or so through it I'll try to remember to update this.

I've only put 571 rounds through the SP101 since I got in 3 months ago --- so this project may take a while. :roll:

JMHO

lolol.gif

darkwater67

Single-Sixer
mickeyboat":19o5s1f3 said:
4. The trigger pull on this LCR is heavier than a couple of friends LCRs. Is it common for them to vary a lot out of the box?

This could have been a precursor, a symptom of the eventual part failure.

mickeyboat

Bearcat
WANT A LCR 22LR":fsjvfg0e said:
Did the trigger get occasionally crunchy before it locked up? Did it misfire before the total failure?

It's taken me a while to figure this out, but my LCR will sometimes not fire the 2 nd or 3 rd round. The primer does not have a strike mark when this happens, I'll have 2 shells with primer hits, a untouched shell , then a primer hit. ( I've been practicing in groups of 3 and sometimes am leaving out a random shell to work on ignoring misfires and concentrate on counting bangs. )

Today the trigger locked up on the first round of the day, releasing then pulling allowed it to fire. Ran 200 plus with no problems.

I've also noticed the trigger must be fully released before pulling again, like _all_ the way off the trigger. This might just be the design. Trigger pull feels lighter than my GP100. Both guns have about 600 rounds each through them.

What is SASS ?

My LCR was working perfect, I was in love with the new gun and then after a successful hammer fall it just locked up tight. No hint of any issue before that. Ruger is sending the Brown Santa by Wed with a shipping label. Hope that little gun doesn't get lost in transit.
Ruger says they have not had that problem before with the LCR??

yamalink

Bearcat
Mine broke in late January. Had about 150 rounds through it. Mostly non +p but a few 135gr +p.

Trigger locked up. Ruger said it was the firing pin.

Ruger made me pay to ship it there (unlike Springfield which emailed an overnight FedEx label).

They gave me the usual "we are so sorry, this is the first time, so many out there, totally unusual."

I was told it is being UPS 2-day (again, Springfield FedEx overnighted it back) back to me.....but they don't deliver on weekends because it would cost triple (that's what the cs said). The paperwork will tell me what exactly was fixed.

It is/was my main ccw in the pocket. So light it just went everywhere even on trail runs, etc. A 38sp in the pocket is better than a 9 or 45 left at home.

I know anything can break, but the confidence level is a bit lacking knowing my main ccw bit the dust....and so did yours.

yamalink

Bearcat
Flat out, Ruger lied. My LCR broke in January.

Ruger says they have not had that problem before with the LCR??

Chip

Bearcat
Crap, I have about 100 rounds through mine. Wonder if it's gonna break? :cry:

yamalink

Bearcat
If it helps or matters....mine locked up while dry firing: I practice at home drawing from pocket holster and using Crimson to see where I shoulda/coulda pointed.

Ruger promised it'd be reliable and last hundreds of thousands of rounds. I dunno. I'm tempted to get a 642 Airweight like all my friends but even a S&W can break. Althought none of theirs has over the years. The S&W Bodyguard Insight laser comes out May 1 but obviously that's a new model and may have issues. Plus the Insight laser is not as intuitive as the Crimson.

I'll shoot the snot out of the LCR next week. I reload and will put many, many rounds of light-recoil loads down the pipe.

GKC

Blackhawk
Hmmm....I was thinking about getting one of those (LCRs) for my wife....I think I'll wait for a while now.

She asked me last night if I could get her a pink one! :shock: I told her no. :lol:

ranger7

Bearcat
Have 3 LCRs in the family. Trigger pulls are all the same. One hasn't been shot much. The other two have several hundred rounds through them. No problems at all.

WANT A LCR 22LR

Bearcat
Something to remember on LCR lockups, at least on mine, the trigger must be fully ( like all the way off ) released after a pull otherwise it will crunch and lock up. (My GP 100 will do this to a lesser extent too, but it has a solid lock rather than a crunch )

However last week I did have a single lockup on the first pull. If it happens again, it's going back.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
WANT A LCR 22LR":mawzqn1g said:
Something to remember on LCR lockups, at least on mine, the trigger must be fully ( like all the way off ) released after a pull otherwise it will crunch and lock up. (My GP 100 will do this to a lesser extent too, but it has a solid lock rather than a crunch )

However last week I did have a single lockup on the first pull. If it happens again, it's going back.
I personally hate this "feature". Several small guns I've shot require you to practically remove your finger from the trigger before it's ready for the next shot. I had an S&W 642 that would skip a chamber unless you let it all the way out. I've seen a P3/AT become decocked when someone didn't let it out all the way and tried to fire again. I can easily see this being a problem during a "social encounter". I like guns that have a trigger reset point somewhat short of full extension.

-- Sam