LCR Endshake Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob79

Bearcat
Hello,

I just purchased a new LCR the other day, and have not fired it. I like it's light weight, nice trigger, and love the Tamer grips.

However, I noticed the gun's cylinder has endshake (front to back movement) when sitting at rest, and in full lock up. It has slightly less endshake in full lock up, and the end shake is very minor. I do not have any feeler gages yet, but will buy some real soon, and post back with measurements.

Its just I have only had S&W J frame Airweights, and none of them even after firing hundreds of rounds have this much endshake. Maybe this is common to the LCR? I have only handled one LCR, and have nothing else to compare it against.

Please let me know what you all have seen with your guns.

Thanks

Bob79

Bearcat
Bought the feeler gauge today from Ace Hardware.

The barrel/cylinder gap is .006

And with the cylinder pushed forward the gap is .0015, so that is end shake in the amount of .0045

Anyone know what is acceptable? Should I just call Ruger and ask?

miatank

Bearcat
Bob -
I checked my LCR. The gap was 0.006in. When I pushed the cylinder forward the gap was 0.005in.
Just to compare, I measured some other revolvers.
S&W 360SC - 0.0045in.
S&W 329PD - 0.005in.
S&W M29 - 0.004in.
S&W 460V - 0.0045in.
In all cases the 'play' was about 0.001in.
I would call Ruger and find out what they consider normal.

dave - but if the gun shoots well...

Bob79

Bearcat
I re-checked, and I get the .007 gauge in there. Its pretty tight, but I'm not forcing it. And when I push the cylinder back, there is a hair more room for the .007 gauge to fit easier.

Also, the smallest feeler on this gauge is .0015, it does not have a .0010 and the .0015 fits in there easily with the cylinder pushed forward.

So the endshake is at least .0055

**Also the measurements were done with the gun in full lock up by pulling the trigger and holding it back. Although the measurements were the same without having the gun in full lock up as well, just the feelers were a little tighter fit in lock up.

Bob79

Bearcat
I'm just going to call Ruger in the morning and tell them the measurements and see what they say. I can get the .008 gauge to fit on the right side with the cylinder pushed back, and the .007 on the left.

It just seems like too much to me, I probably should have just looked for another gun, but I haven't seen any other examples around to compare it against. Also didn't have a feeler gauge at the time when I looked at the gun.

Maybe it will be going back to Ruger???

Bob79

Bearcat
Called Ruger this morning, they said B/C gap of up to .010 is OK.

She couldn't give me a figure on the end shake, and said if I was concerned to send it in.

So off it goes today...

Bob79

Bearcat
I hear you, but I have an LCP, and S&W 442.

Dropped it off at the store i bought it at today. They will ship it tomorrow.

Bob79

Bearcat
I got the gun back today. The sheet with the gun from Ruger says they replaced the barrel, cylinder, trigger, hammer, and firing pin. There is no endshake at all in the gun now. I didn't have a chance to grab my feeler gauges and check the B/C gap, but it appears to be around .006 to .008, so it looks OK. At this time they did not refund the shipping cost, but the dealer where I bought the gun (and used to ship it out) said he was still talking to someone at Ruger about that. I'm just glad the gun locks up much better now, but must admit I'm suprised they just replaced all that stuff on a brand new/unfired gun. Now I gotta get to the range and see how she shoots.

Bob79

Bearcat
Measure the B/C gap as a very tight .008, so it looks good. I'm happy with what Ruger did, and I hope it shoots well.

Latest posts