LCR 9mm vs LCR 38 which has more recoil?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sharpshooter33

Bearcat
Wondering if the 38 or 9mm LCR has more recoil?
And yes I know you can run both with lite loads and get different results.
I'm looking for apples to apples here. +P to +P, heavy gr to heavy gr.
Overall impressions for those who have shot both.

s4s4u

Hunter
Jim Luke said:
Probably 9mm...

I'd think so. It operates at higher pressure than the 38. A 38+P in the LCR is pretty snappy tho. Haven't tried the 9mm so only know half of the story ;-)

sharpshooter33

Bearcat
I've heard that they have higher pressure and they travel inside the gun longer since they are shorter, but everyone I've talked to with other guns aside from the LCR seem to think the 9mm has less. The fps at muzzle are similar. I have fired a Taurus 905 9mm revolver and it was not as bad as what I remember the 38+P, but it has been literally 20 years since I've fired a revolver so my memory may be foggy there.
The Taurus wasn't bad at all. Actually I had fun shooting it and muzzle flip was very minimal from what I expected.
s4s4u said:
Jim Luke said:
Probably 9mm...

I'd think so. It operates at higher pressure than the 38. A 38+P in the LCR is pretty snappy tho. Haven't tried the 9mm so only know half of the story ;-)

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
I have both. The 9mm has more recoil even though it is several ounces heavier. But, the 357 has even more recoil than the 9.

3930a588437ba89aa5419e9e29d60b89_zpssffptkjl.jpg

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
sharpshooter33 said:
thanks buckshotshorty!
Is the 9mm similar to 38+P or is it heavier than the +P?

Yes I would say the non plus p 9mm has about the same recoil as 158 gr. plus p ammo in 38. 125 gr. Ammo = less recoil.

My original plan was to carry the LCR 9 mm, but I pretty much carry the 38 all the time because I typically pocket carry, and @ a mere 13 oz. the 38 is a delight to pocket carry. I'll carry the 9 in a belt holster or IWB.