LCR 9mm Cylinder Chamber

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sammy K

Bearcat
Hello, I recently had an issue with 124gr Aguila FMJ ammo that would not seat properly into my LCR 9mm chambers. Could not close the cylinder because the rounds were rubbing against the breach. This problem happened with and without using the moon clips. The range's gunsmith was available and he dropped a few of the rounds into a gauge - and they fit perfect (no sticking and head spaced correctly). He also noted that the LCR was cleaned properly. I immediatly tried a different brand of ammo and it chambered with no issues - like it has always done. I have shot about 1000 rounds since owning this gun, and tried quite a few different brands of ammo without issues. In fact, in the past I've shot Aguila 115gr FMJ and had no problems.
Has anyone else experienced any similiar problems with this brand or any other brand of 9mm ammo in their LCR?
By the way, I shot this particular box of 124gr Aquila through a 9mm pistol and they fired without issue.
Regards

Yes, welcome to the Forum and NO ,Ruger has no control over the "quality control" of ammo makers, they used to maybe say something to you, the customer but noway will they say anything detrimental of any of the suppliers.
Like gas in an automobile you gotta find out what make, brand, etc., works the best in your gun, or "make your own" to FIT, happens more often in rifle ammo and chamber depths, setback, etc.......we do know of the majority of the ammo that is/was available, out there, the 'steel' case brands are the most "Problematic".....:cool::rolleyes:;)

Similar note - My US GI M1 Carbine will function correctly with any .30 Carbine ammo I put in the magazines (steel case or brass case). BUT, My Blackhawk .30 Carbine does not like the steel case .30 Carbine. One shot, cylinder won't rotate, extremely had to remove. Brass cased, not a problem, shoots like a dream. Probably because of the cylinder dimensions and steel case doesn't expand and contract like brass.

For the LCR, just don't shoot the Aguila 124gr if they give you problems, save them for another gun. You said other brands shot fine - a no brainer in my mind.

Sammy K

Bearcat
Thank you all for your replies. Glad I only bought one 50 round box, I was very tempted to buy more at the time. It was on sale for $14 - and around here that's cheap.:) Whenever I try a different brand or grain, I only buy one box to make sure it doesn't exhibit any crimp jump before buying in bulk. Contacting Ruger didn't seem like a productive idea because I'm sure they would have wanted me to send it in. It's most likely an ammo compatability issue like rugerguy stated and I'm not to keen on shipping it for a problem they can't fix. If anybody who reads this post later and they had a similar experience, I'd be interested in what brand ammo it was. That way I'll steer clear of it. 😬 Thanks again

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!

Sometimes a cheap item can become very expensive!

I prefer to use top quality ammo in my guns. Either I make my own or purchase the better stuff.

harley08

Blackhawk
Best solution: Reload you own ammo!
I own a Dillon 550 reloader and reload military calibers and others from .32 auto up to .458 Socom

rotor

Bearcat
Yes, welcome to the Forum and NO ,Ruger has no control over the "quality control" of ammo makers, they used to maybe say something to you, the customer but noway will they say anything detrimental of any of the suppliers.
Like gas in an automobile you gotta find out what make, brand, etc., works the best in your gun, or "make your own" to FIT, happens more often in rifle ammo and chamber depths, setback, etc.......we do know of the majority of the ammo that is/was available, out there, the 'steel' case brands are the most "Problematic".....:cool::rolleyes:;)
I don't agree. When you buy a 9mm gun you expect it to fire 9mm ammo especially when that ammo has gone through a case gage and was good therefore meeting SAAMI specs. Something wrong with the Ruger, send it in and have them fix it. They are good at that.

I said the "ammo makers" IE the steel case ammo in many cases, my point being if you have trouble or issues with ANY brand you gonna find out on your own, Ruger will NOT say or bad mouth any of the makers, its is expected the ammo is made "to spec" and over my 60 plus years of shooting about EVERY size ,make, caliber and their guns, we have seen all TOO many issues with the makers of the ammo,and many times NOT the guns, and obviously the other way too, our shop was "warranty repair for some the gun companies...been there, done that,,,,use what fits and works in YOUR guns don't take our word for it.............;):rolleyes::cool:

contender

Ruger Guru
I'm with rugerguy on this.

I know that Ruger does NOT test each gun with multiple types of ammo to assure it'll feed & function with the WIDELY different available ammo brands out there.

The fact you've enjoyed shooting it with over 1000 rounds without any issues points to the ammo.

Chamber check gauges,, I use them for my match ammo. Just because they allow the ammo to fit,, does NOT mean the gun will always accept the ammo. I load 9mm for my Ruger Super GP-100 for competition. I have a chamber check gauge. I check all rounds & reject any that even hint at not fitting. Yet,, I do a SECOND check. Once I load my moon clips,, I check EACH loaded moon for fit as well. With the second check I usually get 3-4 out of 100 that won't allow the cylinder to close smoothly. I then disassemble the ammo off the moon (1) round at a time checking it each time. I always uncover a round that totally appears fine,, AND fits the gauge,, that the gun just doesn't like. I remove that round,, re-fill the moon clip, and check again. Doing this allows for smooth loading during a match.

Each firearm is a mechanical machine that has it's own likes & dislikes.

Latest posts