LCR 38 or 357

Help Support Ruger Forum:

VA Shooter

Single-Sixer
I went into my LGS yesterday and he several LCR"S in stock. I picked up a 357 and thought man this is light but when I picked up the 38 it felt even lighter, he said 3oz but it felt alot lighter than that.I will use this for CC and I'm leaning toward the 38, do you think I will regret not getting the 357 ?

JBL13

Bearcat
I have both (and a .22 version, too).

If I could have only one of the centerfire versions, I'd keep the .357 because I want the cartridge versatility, plus the .357's slightly heavier weight helps absorb recoil just a little better with .38 cartridges.

I do use .357s for concealed carry/defense in this gun (Speer GD Short Barrel). If you don't figure you'd ever use .357 cartridges for defense, you'd probably be happy with the .38.

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
It's not an easy decision. It's 3.6 oz different. The LCR is significantly lighter than the KLCR when you compare them side by side. But the KLCR is plenty light enough and it gives you options and less recoil in the 38s. I went with the 357 and would do it again. The KLCR usually runs about $50 more, but I wouldn't let be the deciding factor. You can't make a bad decision on this one.

Cyclepath78

Bearcat
I own the .38 and have no regrets. The way I see it, around here .38's are cheaper than .357's which allows me to practice more. If I had a .357 for carry I would practice with .357 which is a bit more money. I don't subscribe to the " own a .357, practice with .38 and, carry .357 for SD". If I'm in a shtf scenario I want my training to work which requires muscle memory. If I don't practice with carry loads a lot my muscles won't have the ability to remember how that load feels.

Either way both are fantastic pistols!

dlh38or45

Single-Sixer
Let me start with the caviat that I am no expert on ballistics, but...

I chose the .38 Special based on the idea that I didn't think the short barrel of the .357 LCR would allow the .357 round to be used to its potential. It would take a longer barrel for the .357 round to reach its top pressure, muzzle energy, and velocity. Otherwise, I might as well use .38+P in the .38 LCR if I am going to lose the .357 power in the short barrel.

If I need .357 level power, I will carry my 3 inch GP100 or my 4 inch Service Six.

DLH

Keltyke

Bearcat
I frequently carry the LCR in .38 Spcl., and shoot +p loads from it. I haven't shot one in .357 Mag., and I don't think I'd want to. I'm an experienced .357 Mag. shooter, but pain isn't my game, and I think that one will hurt ya. The excessive recoil will certainly slow down your target acquisition for the next shot. You're not going to want to shoot a 50 ct. box for practice, either. The .357 Mag. is certainly a more potent round, but .38 Spcl. +p has been doing the job for many years. If you get a chance, shoot both and decide.

Chief_10Beers

Blackhawk
VA Shooter said:
I went into my LGS yesterday and he several LCR"S in stock. I picked up a 357 and thought man this is light but when I picked up the 38 it felt even lighter, he said 3oz but it felt alot lighter than that.I will use this for CC and I'm leaning toward the 38, do you think I will regret not getting the 357 ?

Buy the 357 fer sure, the prices are about the same. I shoot 38s and +Ps but I do like the option of carring 357 Magnums plus the Cylinder Frame is Blackend Stainless Steel. Firing the 357 Mag is a bit painfull for me and I do like shooting heavy recoil but this little magnum is something else :shock: :lol:..........................

Chief_10Beers

Blackhawk
Keltyke said:
I frequently carry the LCR in .38 Spcl., and shoot +p loads from it. I haven't shot one in .357 Mag., and I don't think I'd want to. I'm an experienced .357 Mag. shooter, but pain isn't my game, and I think that one will hurt ya. The excessive recoil will certainly slow down your target acquisition for the next shot. You're not going to want to shoot a 50 ct. box for practice, either. The .357 Mag. is certainly a more potent round, but .38 Spcl. +p has been doing the job for many years. If you get a chance, shoot both and decide.

I shot 20 357s and I stopped after that! :lol: But 38+Ps were a dream ...........................

donut757

Blackhawk
the 38 was a no brainer for me for a few reasons.... some irrelevant to the purpose of a firearm some not.

1) Slightly cheaper... which didnt factor into the decision making process but always nice to save a few bucks.
2) I got the TALO Navy edition... greyish blue... again if i thought the ..357 would suit me better color wouldnt have mattered, but since i settled on the .38, figured be different than most with the special edition (which ended up being cheaper than the standard model)

Now the deciding factors (at least for me)

1) it is noticeably lighter. In my eyes the LCR is a firearm designed to be carried concealed in a pocket very easily, 3 oz. makes a world of difference.
2) the .38s were more controllable when fired with the smaller, less cushioned boot grips
3) Practice with 38s, carry 38s.... could be done with the .357 model but i know i would shoot 38s more than the 357s and carry 357s

These are the reason i went with the 38 model... i also have the 22 model and like that one also... If i knew i was going to keep the stock grips on the .357 and carried it holstered on the belt i would have gotten the 357 with out a doubt.

Keltyke

Bearcat
donut757 said:
1) it is noticeably lighter. In my eyes the LCR is a firearm designed to be carried concealed in a pocket very easily, 3 oz. makes a world of difference.
Yup. 3 oz. makes more of a difference than most people think. Mine is used in a shop/yard back pocket carry, so I need "light".

2) the .38s were more controllable when fired with the smaller, less cushioned boot grips
Very true, and more painful. After I fire two rounds of .357 Mag. from this gun, I hope I stopped the sum beech. 'cause I don't want to fire another one. This thing has been out long enough and is popular enough that someone should be making after market grips by now.

3) Practice with 38s, carry 38s.... could be done with the .357 model but i know i would shoot 38s more than the 357s and carry 357s
A lot of people do that, and it's a recipe for disaster. You're used to the flash/bang and recoil of a .38 Spcl. +p. then you crank off a .357 Mag. If you're lucky, you held onto the thing. You gotta practice with what you carry.

spotch

Bearcat
I got the 357, carry +p's in it. I got it because I wanted to shoot it a lot for practice and I wanted that to be a pleasant experience. I like the idea of it being a little "overbuilt" for what I'm using it for, and I like that if/when I get used to shooting 38+p I can load it with hotter ammo still. It is heavier, but it still comes in at a hair under 20oz fully loaded so it doesn't bother me. I think either is a good choice, I just preferred this one.

stare-decisis

Single-Sixer
I'm on my 2nd LCR 38 and am very happy w/it. At one time I had a S&W 340 .357 which weighs very close to a LCR 38 and I gave up on that. It was a glorified .38 spl. The recoil w/357 loads was just brutal. I tried downloading some reloaded .357 but seemed like I just end up w/38 plus p. An LCR 357 is not that much better ballistically than a LCR 38 plus p and your getting more recoil.

VASh00ter

Bearcat
I looked at both and went with the .357. I like the option to shoot both .38 & .357. I use it for CC and load it with Speer Gold Dot .357 135gr HP's for short barrel.