LCP380

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wefski70

Bearcat
I am interested in all comments of carrying a Beretta Tomcat 32 vs. the new LCP 380. At this time I am interested in pocket carry, I have a G19 for IWB carry.

toysoldier

Hunter
I think the LCP is a little thinner. Never handled the Beretta, but I carry the LCP everyday and hardly notice it. There's a significant performance difference between .32 and .380---why carry less in a bigger package?

Bigboreshooter

Single-Sixer
toysoldier":39g825fc said:
I think the LCP is a little thinner. Never handled the Beretta, but I carry the LCP everyday and hardly notice it. There's a significant performance difference between .32 and .380---why carry less in a bigger package?

+1. I never leave home without my LCP.

halfmoonclip

Bearcat
Never had a Tom, but I've had 950s and 21As, and I've handled Toms.
There is a reason I don't own the Tomcat; several, actually-
The Tom is thicker than an LCP
Toms have a trigger that goes from double to single action; if I'm scared enough of somebody to point a gun at him, then I don't want that complication.
Blowback .32s are less pleasant to shoot than locked-breech guns; I assume the LCP is more pleasant to shoot.
The Ruger shoots a bigger bullet.

The ability to load the Tom without racking the slide and the clever recoil springs hidden in the grips only excuses so much.
Moon

Elfego El Gato

Single-Sixer
Look at the ballistics charts for .32 and .380. Many would argue that .32 is insufficient for self-defence, while .380 is marginally acceptable. I think .380 is better than marginal. I trust the .380 at typical gunfighting distances, while the .32 seems a little light to me.

halfmoonclip

Bearcat
Ron Honner":1zm000yz said:
I think you should stick with your Glock 19.

Not meaning to argue, but I have a G26, and it doesn't get carried much...too many sacrifices in wardrobe and lifestyle. A better gun if the chit hits the fan, no doubt. But as the usual reasoning goes, better an LCP in your pocket than a 9mm/.45/12ga/5.56 that's at home in your safe.

Those who go in harms way every day (LEO primarily) may well want to carry the biggest thing that fits under a coat. The rest of us are just hedging a bet, trying to carry something with enough oomph to stop a problem, but easy to carry the 99.99999999999999999999999% of the time it's just along for the ride.

Back to Toms and LCPs, I agree with el Gato; a .380 ought to be a better problem stopper than a .32, even if James Bond carried one.
Moon

MountainGator

Single-Sixer
I "Love" my little Miss Pea. I carry front pocket / Cargo pocket - shorts/pants and a tee shirt and no one can tell I'm carrying (ok, one of my granddaughters figured it out). .327 FM is ok, but .32 Auto is not enough penetration for me. JMHO, YMMV