LCP

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hillbilly Jim

Bearcat
I own more than one of the mentioned pistols and cannot agree with the writers assessments. I have never had a ftf with my Ruger and other than the long trigger pull I have no complaints. I shoot a lot and may be all of mine are well broken in. Most fun to shoot of the 380's are Bersas which were not mentioned as they are probably to large.
Recoil even in the little light 380's is a non factor. If you want recoil try a 12 ounce 9mm as in P9 Keltec, my favorite carry pistol.
Just my opinion. Maybe I have been lucky and not got a lemon.

I've purchased two LCP's, and neither had a problem of any kind, regardless of ammo.

Here it goes, again!

The article, in part:

...Recoil is snappy and almost painful...tiny sights preclude a proper sight picture...We had problems getting through the shooting evaluation...a number of feedway malfunctions, which were puzzling...same pistol I had written up shortly after it was introduced...There were no problems then, but a new array of diffrent loads resulted in some jams...I must conclude that the LCP is a bit ammunition-sensitive and you have to pick your loads carefully to keep it running.

But, in the same issue, they really like the Chevrolet Silverado. :roll:

WAYNO.

Bud33

Bearcat
Fox Mike":27xt8z32 said:
Anyone see the latest article on the Ruger LCP in American Rifleman? Up until I read it I had seriously thought of buying one; now I am not too sure.
Which issue of the Rifleman did you see the article in....? I can't seem to find it.

OMG

Bearcat
I have shot around 200 rounds out of mine with no failures. It is not the funnest gun to shoot but I love it for ccw.

MountainGator

Single-Sixer
"...Recoil is snappy and almost painful..."
The Recoil is REAL. a Fully loaded LCP weighs in at 12 Oz or so, but a 95 gr./ 900 fps round produces 12 ft-lbs/sec of momentum so Miss Pea is going to kick you at 16 fps (11 mph). If that's too much, go by a Hi Point It weighs almost 2 Lbs and most of the recoil is "absorbed" in the Blow-back operation, but who wants to be saddled with a .380 the weighs 2 lbs?

"...tiny sights preclude a proper sight picture..."
any .380 is a point and shoot (from the hip) SD gun. IT IS N O T a range gun!!! If you EVER try to bring the sights up to eye level (to actually use it in the SD mode) you will probably be shot before you get YOUR first round off.

and the other 'dig' was accuracy TESTED AT T W E N T Y - F I V E yards. Now if you go around shooting people at a range of 25 yards I'll bet you find yourself in jail faster that you can say criminal prosecution & civial suite. Anybody that knows anything understands the "max SD range" is in the 20~25 FOOT range. I'm surprised that the NRA showed their ignorance in that area.

96/44

Blackhawk
That was a really strange article. Usually every gun they test is the best thing since sliced bread, but in this test almost every single gun had the same failures to feed/chamber a round?

I have one and have had no real problems. I had a few feeding problems with the new mag that ruger sent back when it went for the recall, but that is fixed. I have fired at least 500 to 600 rds through it.
Great little CCW.

Hillbilly Jim

Bearcat
All I can figure is that Wiley is getting soft and a little addled. The theme of concealed carry results in small, light, pistols designed for close in use.
Nowhere in the article was this stressed. Instead we had comments about nonexistant sights, bad recoil and 25 yard groups.
Poor article and shame on the Riflemen's editorial staff for letting this article go to print without changes.
Only at the end of the article are some reasonable comments about intended use were made. This is in an yellow tinted box, so we dont know who wrote it, may have been an added comments by staff or by Clapp.

Poor feeding and hangups should be reported!

NC-P95

Bearcat
Hillbilly Jim":1be9kgj5 said:
All I can figure is that Wiley is getting soft and a little addled. The theme of concealed carry results in small, light, pistols designed for close in use.
Nowhere in the article was this stressed. Instead we had comments about nonexistant sights, bad recoil and 25 yard groups.
Poor article and shame on the Riflemen's editorial staff for letting this article go to print without changes.
Only at the end of the article are some reasonable comments about intended use were made. This is in an yellow tinted box, so we dont know who wrote it, may have been an added comments by staff or by Clapp.

Poor feeding and hangups should be reported!

Yeah, it's kind of like a NASCAR engineer writing an article on a Volkswagen, telling why/how the VW isn't much good since it won't take turn 4 at Lowes Motor Speedway at 170 MPH... Although the VW may be a fine car, it's not designed to do that... but that doesn't make "bad"...

JMHO.

Bigboreshooter

Single-Sixer
I also read the article and wondered what the author was talking about.

My LCP has performed flawlessly with several different kinds of ammo.
The sights leave a lot to be desired, but once I got used to the trigger pull, I can hit 8" steel plates pretty consitently at 7 yards.

MountainGator

Single-Sixer
Bigboreshooter":2p9ljr5o said:
I also read the article and wondered what the author was talking about.

My LCP has performed flawlessly with several different kinds of ammo.
The sights leave a lot to be desired, but once I got used to the trigger pull, I can hit 8" steel plates pretty consitently at 7 yards.

NC-P95":2p9ljr5o said:
Yeah, it's kind of like a NASCAR engineer writing an article on a Volkswagen, telling why/how the VW isn't much good since it won't take turn 4 at Lowes Motor Speedway at 170 MPH... Although the VW may be a fine car, it's not designed to do that... but that doesn't make it "bad"...
JMHO.

Yeah, while there is no doubt that we all need the strength of unity (perhaps best achieved through the NRA) the NRA also NEEDS us and OWES us all the RESPECT of honest, FACTUAL reporting. I don't give a Rats behind if Strum, Ruger & Company (or any other US manufacturer) NEVER bought One column inch of advertising for the NRA, as a Dues Paying Member, the NRA OWES ME an honest assessment.

jmho, icbw, ymmv.
StaySafe,
MG

toysoldier

Hunter
I have to wonder what gaping hollowpoint ammo failed to feed through all these pistols. If they'd mentioned that, it would have been a worthwhile article.

LCP recoil is "snappy", but not unpleasant, unless you burn through more than 10 magazines in short order. If you want to carpet the range with spent brass, get a bigger gun.

With my old eyes, I have trouble with ANY open sights. At 15', I was able to put all rounds in a 10" circle rapidfire. Now that I have a Crimson Trace laser on my LCP, seeing sights is no problem, and I expect to tighten tht group a bit.

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
All true and valid criticisms.
However they left off the lack of an accessory rail and bayonette lug.
THAT is the major shortcoming of this pistol.
Just don't make em like they used to.

Latest posts