LCP

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gunslinger_h

Blackhawk
Does anyone here have any experience with the new Ruger .380. I am thinking about buying one for my daughter but have no experience with it. Thanks, Hank.

Edirty692

Bearcat
gunslinger_h
I got one about 3 weeks ago and have put about 100 rounds thru it and like the way it shoots for a small gun. The trigger is long but that's good because it has no safety so you can carry without worry. No problems to report so that's another plus. I think your daughter would love it just my opinion. Maybe someone else has more experience than me but I really like mine for backup carry.

:D :D :D

gunslinger_h

Blackhawk
Thanks Edirty. I am going to pick one up and shoot it a bit, then give it to her. I appreciate your response. Hank.

LightningMan

Bearcat
I finially bought one last Saturday for a good price, $275+tax. If Ruger had came out with the LCP before I had bought my Kel-Tec P3-AT, I'd of gotten one sooner. Now that I do have one, I must say I like it, but to be honest it's really no different than the Kel-Tec, other than the LCP looks so much nicer and has that slide lock, which is a plus. To your question, I think she will like it provided she has a fair amount of hand strength, as the small size of the LCP makes the recoil feel much more than that of a larger pistol. I let a middle aged woman try out my LCP last Sunday at the range and she had no problems. LM

Coogs

Maximum
Have had one for quite a while now, will digest any ammo I have put through it, I carry it every day. Up close and personal type weapon......it is one of the best I have come across for the $$$. I personally have had no problems with it, Coogs.

Burley

Bearcat
I bought one late last year, had some problems and sent it back. It's been 100% for a couple hundred rounds now.:)

geroge12go

Bearcat
I find a lot of women find the LCP to be "cute". Aesthetics being an important part of any firearm I own I would have to agree but the LCP does recoil a bit due to the lightweight nature of the pistol and you should have her test fire one before she decides that is what she wants. I have shot with a couple of ladies that took one shot with it and refused to pull the trigger again. These same women enjoyed shooting my .40 service pistol. heck I can only get through 50rnds before my arm begins to hurt and I am a pretty big guy. Aside form that I have had zero Issues with my LCP before or after the recall. The pistol is very capable of putting all 7 rnds in a softball group rapid fire @ 7yds. As well it is an absolute joy to conceal as it will literally disappear. I found the LCP to be a great addition and carry option for daily defense.

Good luck on your decisions!

"fk"

Bearcat
I took my LCp to the range today and fired 15rds of Winchester FMJ at 7 and 10yds, hit a man size target 13 out of 15rds center mass. One extra round in neck and one in side. Quite firing at 15 rounds, why because it is a carry gun and the recoil will make you stop. I don't think this is a ladies gun at all. In fact I know why Ruger says page 11 of owners manual "Do not use "+P" ammunition" in the LCP. It will probably break a finger or wrist or something. I fire some pretty heavy ammo in my Sig 230 that I sure wouldn't fire in this gun. Its a carry gun for a man, I wouldn't let my wife shoot it.

"fk"

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
I got a LCP the other day for 272.00 plus tax.I've thrown the idea around for quite awhile about getting one.Personally I really don't put allot of faith in a 380 for my carry gun.It would come in handy as a pocket gun for a quick run to the store or something of that sort though.

I did see in the owners manual not to shoot +P in it.What's the deal there? Is it to much for the gun to handle or it's just to hard to control and/or hang on to? I know even small revolvers rated for +P shouldn't be fed a steady diet of it.
My thinking or plans are to only put the +P's in for serious business. Are any of you carrying your LCP's with +P's in it.Can the gun handle it or is it just to small to handle that much power?Once I know it functions right it will probably never be fired again except for an emergency situation.

I mainly wanted to ask before I go hunting down 380 ammo for it.I had a 380 years ago. I was never very impressed with it's performance.I've heard they have really improved the modern day 380 ammo compared to what it was 25 years ago.
Thanks.

LawMan

Bearcat
I purchased the LCP for my wife. She loves it. Of course I have shot it as well... Nice gun from a reputable company. I have owned a Kel-Tec previously and would take the LCP over it any day. Thats just my opinion.

I have ordered a Crimison Trace laser for it as well. The LCP makes a nice in the pocket gun. Of course there are many other ways to carry it. But for now, in the pocket works great due to the width, weight, and compact size of the LCP.

In my opinon you can't go wrong with the LCP.

Take Care

"fk"

Bearcat
Buffalo Bore advertises their .380 bullets at 100gr and 294ftlbs of energy. I think that maybe a little heavy for a polymer pistol. P230 ok but not a Ruger LCP. I'll keep mine for now but only for carry or until I can find a trade for a Berreta Tomcat .32 cal. About same physical size but Beretta about twice as heavy. Probably an all steel gun.

fk

LightningMan

Bearcat
I don't know why the LCP should not be used with +P ammo, but the Kel-Tec can be shot occationially with +P ammo. Go figure! The other thought I had was that, I remember reading somewhere that there is no set of standards for .380 +P ammunition. Although I do have a box of Magtech Guardian Gold .380 +P 85 Gr. JHP's, which list the muzzle velocity at 1082 fps. Now my box of 90 gr. Cor-Bon's do NOT say +P and they are rated at 1050 fps, and the 90 gr. Hornady Critical Defence also NOT a +P, lists at 1000 fps. So what do you really gain, other than more pressure, 32-82 fps more, not a big gain in my book. LM

"fk"

Bearcat
LightningMan,
On the Kel Tec website they rate their P3AT .380 at less than 250 ft-lbs of muzzle energy. Well to my knowledge there is only one .380 round that exceeds that and it is a Buffalo Bore at 294 ft-lbs of muzzle energy. I have played with the Kel Tec and the LCP at the gun shops and felt the LCP was much better construction that the Kel Tec. As badly as the LCP recoils I can't imagine shooting that big a round in the pistol 250 ft-lbs is a lot of umph. As soon as I can find some new Hornady rounds I will try them. I have a P230 .380 that I would like to find out what can be shot in them. I have a steel receiver and a aluminum frame. I don't know if that would take the Buffalo Bore 294 ft-lbs constantly maybe as a carry round only.

"fk"

cas6969

Buckeye
Do you really feel the LCP recoils a lot? I don't think it's enough to even be worth mentioning.

Obviously the 230's going to recoil less, it weighs twice what the LCP does.

taphandle

Bearcat
cas":1tjwqluy said:
Do you really feel the LCP recoils a lot? I don't think it's enough to even be worth mentioning.

The last time I went to the range I took a 38 snubbie, two 40 cals and the LCP. The gun fired the least was the LCP as it feels like a snappy little sting in my hand after a few mags. It's not so much muzzle flip, just that little snap in your hand.

Call me nuts but I have a much better time shooting a Super Blackhawk.

That being said, the LCP was not designed to be a range or plinking gun. I think it's perfect for it's intended use.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the comments on ammo for the LCP's.I'll have to see what I can even find out in the real world with all the ammo shortages.

Bigfoot62

Bearcat
gunslinger_h":hu1y4whf said:
Does anyone here have any experience with the new Ruger .380. I am thinking about buying one for my daughter but have no experience with it. Thanks, Hank.
I have two of them, and carry daily. I have other carry options, but prefer the LCP. I had the Kel-Tec P3AT before the LCP. The Kel-Tec is a good gun, I just like the grip of the LCP better. (plus it's a Ruger)

cas":uo88tu7k said:

Obviously the 230's going to recoil less, it weighs twice what the LCP does.

I Guess everyones tolerance of recoil is different. Recoil is in the eye of the beholder. I've read on previous posts, here, and elsewhere, how awful the recoil is on these LCP's is. If I was to describe the recoil, I'd say there isn't any.

I've bought two LCP's, and for what they are, a little tiny pipsqueak gun that can always be with you, they're great.

WAYNO.

Bigboreshooter

Single-Sixer
I've had mine for about 3 months now and LOVE it. I've put about 200 rounds through it with ZERO malfunctions of any kind. So far I have shot WWB, Fiocchi, aluminum cased Blazer, and Hornady Critical Defense ammo without a hiccup.

P1010047-1.jpg