LCP

Help Support Ruger Forum:

"fk"

Bearcat
Recoil is a calculated value and does happen in the LCP. Now how do we lessen it? Make the handle a little bigger is one way, shoot low power rounds is another. If this is a carry gun you sure don't want low power rounds the normal .380 is low power enough. Make the handle bigger, how? Well hogue has a small jr universal grip that looks like it would work so I ordered one. I have bigger hands so it is hard to get a good grip on the pistol. For an experiment I wrapped several rounds of black electrical tape around the handle until it would fit in my hand a lot better. Kinda surprised me how well it would shoot with less felt recall. Still can conceal/carry it with no problem. Waiting for the Hogue grip to come in and try it. There are ways to lessen recoil and have a little fun at the same time. I put one turn of gauze under the black tape so I wouldn't have mess to clean off the gun when I took the tape off. Anyway this is IMHO.

"fk"

LLDJR

Bearcat
New to the LCP, I wanted the Kahr P380 but it is crazy hi $$ and not available, so I bought the LCP to hold me over.

Gonna get the Crimsons Laser and probably pick up the Kahr @ Xmas.

Nice little piece really, I have not broke it in yet, any ammo break in suggestions?

Bigfoot62

Bearcat
LLDJR":3hfbem2a said:
New to the LCP. . .
. . . I have not broke it in yet, any ammo break in suggestions?
Right now, you break it in with whatever you can find. :)
Seriously, I wouldn't worry too much about 'break-in.' You just need to find sufficient ammo so that you can shoot it enough to be comfortable with it. And, .380 can be very hard to find.
You really need to become familiar with the takedown and cleaning process. It's very important when you carry one of these, especially in a pocket. They get full of dirt an lint very quickly.

Stiofan

Bearcat
I've owned and carried mine for about 15 months now. Shot most types of ammo through it except BB. My current carry ammo is Remington Golden Saber, as they weight about 10% more than the others and all the comparisons I've seen show them to expand the best and feed well.

It recoils more than my PPK/S but it's not so bad a woman couldn't use to to protect themselves.

I also shoot a .357 mag and .41 mag so recoil doesn't bother me much though.

cas6969

Buckeye
The .380 lines are starting to trickle open again. A couple of the local chain stores have had quite a bit of Winchester ammo in stock as of late. Shoots well, and the flat nosed truncated cone is at least better than round nose ball.

Double Maduro

Single-Sixer
Hank,

I fired an LCP on Saturday and like it.

I did fairly rapid fire from the hip and was able to keep all rounds in 1/4 minute of bad guy, actually about 5 inches, at about 15 feet.

I didn't notice the recoil, but I had already shot my P90 and my BH .41mag, so that may have had something to do with that. Looking back on it I don't have any impression of recoil at all, but then I do out weigh it by about 10,000 times.

I also didn't notice a long trigger pull. I guess I am just used to increasing pressure until the gun goes bang. The trigger did break nice and clean, which was a surprise.

All in all I was impressed. Will I be getting one, probably not. Just not my thing.

DM

cas6969

Buckeye
The LCP's are very accurate... at least mine is. The biggest problem hitting with them is that long pull combined with the size of the gun, you have a tendency to drop your hands or dip the muzzle during the shot. I've noticed that almost all my misses are low misses. Never high. Of course the "try and find it" front sight doesn't help either. :wink: :D

A

Anonymous

Hi Everybody, just picked up my LCP and like it so far, shoots nicely and is great as a backup in my ankle holster.
The hammer half-cocked thing bothers me and am wondering if the thing would fire if it were to get dropped or banged on something hard. I know about the recall, mine is newer, but I'm failing to find anything substantial in reassuring me that this thing is safe.

any thoughts?

Jay

LightningMan

Bearcat
I've just ordered this wallet holster for it from www.concealcity.com, and I know it shows it for the Kel-Tec but if you read on it's also made for the LCP. You just have to let them know in the comment box, when ordering. If this thread is still hear when I get it, I'll report what I think of it. LM

Skalkaho Slim

Blackhawk
Just got one for the wife last week.

Box of 1,000 Missouri Bullet Co. boolits sitting on the reloading bench and a High Noon "Mr. Softy" IWB holster should be in tomorrow's mail.

Not a factory box of ammo to be found in NW Montana, so gotta make my own. :lol:

cobradoc

Bearcat
Several comments here concerning trigger pull and recoil.

Other than the long trigger pull, I really like my LCP. I'm an old geezer with arthritis in my hands and bending my trigger finger all the way back far enough to get the gun to fire is uncomfortable. I querried Ruger via e-mail concerning the long trigger pull - their response basically said that it is what it is.

As for recoil (think control) - haven't found it to be al that bad for such a small, light framed pistol. Here's a suggestion that helped - I replaced the factory grip extender with a larger one made by "Pierce Grip". The difference was amazing. The Pierce Grip has a slightly longer extender that allows for better grip with the pinky finger - made all the difference in the world.