LCP Warranty??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

shinerjohn

Bearcat
I've had my LCP for a little over a year now. It's just developed feeding problems, and I don't mean occasionally. But this post isn't really about the problem itself, but rather the warranty. I have 7 Rugers and have never had a moment's problem with any - until now. In trying to decide if I want to try to take care of it myself or send it back to Ruger, I went looking for the warranty information. It seems there's not a written warranty at all. What has been your practical experience with warranty/repair on Rugers? (BTW, my LCP has already had the recall performed.) I get the impression that Ruger doesn't want to limit itself with a written warranty, but I don't want to send this pistol in if I must pay for repair myself.
Suggestions based on your experiences??
Thanks in advance....

slippingaway

Blackhawk
shinerjohn":22815kmn said:
I've had my LCP for a little over a year now. It's just developed feeding problems, and I don't mean occasionally. But this post isn't really about the problem itself, but rather the warranty. I have 7 Rugers and have never had a moment's problem with any - until now. In trying to decide if I want to try to take care of it myself or send it back to Ruger, I went looking for the warranty information. It seems there's not a written warranty at all. What has been your practical experience with warranty/repair on Rugers? (BTW, my LCP has already had the recall performed.) I get the impression that Ruger doesn't want to limit itself with a written warranty, but I don't want to send this pistol in if I must pay for repair myself.
Suggestions based on your experiences??
Thanks in advance....

I'm sure everyone will back me up on this. The most you'll have to pay is shipping to get it to them. If you ask nicely, they'll probably send you a prepaid box. No gun manufacturer is going to refuse to fix a malfunctioning gun. They'll fix it for free, and they're usually real nice about it. Give them a call.

revhigh

Hawkeye
As SA said above, Ruger is VERY GOOD at accomodating warranty requests. I'd call them, explain what's wrong and very politely request a shipping label. They'll most likely send you one free of charge, and you're done.

What's wrong with it ?

REV

shinerjohn

Bearcat
Thanks! I appreciate the responses. I "felt" that Ruger would respond that way, but have never had to call on them....

The problem: All of a sudden, the WWB FMJ I have been using will not chamber about 2/3 of the time. The flat nose hangs on the feed ramp. I always clean her thoroughly after each range trip, so it's not gunk. I was thinking of polishing the feed ramp and/or replacing the recoil spring with one of the KT P3AT weights from Wolff Gunsprings.

sicboy13

Single-Sixer
curious about sending guns back to Ruger, do you need an FFL to get your gun back? I (knock on wood) don't need to do so, but curious if I ever did, would I need to pay an FFL to receive & transfer it back?

Sicboy13,
No, they send the gun directly back to you. The reason is simple, there is no transfer of ownership.

shinerjohn,
Polishing the feed ramp may solve the problem along with replacing the spring. I've heard that these pistols work a lot better with the ramp polished. Obviously something has changed... even though you are using the same ammo, have you cracked open a new box/ batch

shinerjohn

Bearcat
Here's what happened. It's kinda silly, I hope!
I started reloading several months ago. I started with 38spl and .357. Worked very well. Then I went after 45acp. All 3 of these are pretty darn easy to reload and that's why I started with them. I have 3 other autoloader rounds that are a tad more difficult, and I decided it was time to move on to them: .380, 9x18 Makarov, and 9mm Luger. In working up a few .380 rounds, they were evidently a tad long. They chambered fine in my Bersa Thunder, but it is a little more forgiving. The 1st one I put in my LCP would NOT EJECT. That puppy was hung up like a couple of dogs!! I worked and worked until finally the bullet separated from the case. I got everything out but now I was spooked. If you have an LCP, you know you can't be timid about racking the slide to chamber a round or it will quite possibly not work smoothly. Well, that was exactly where I was after all those complications.
I "think" there is a very happy ending here. Yesterday one of my buddies brought his LCP and we compared them. Neither of us could detect any differences whatsoever in any function of the guns. This afternoon I plan to take her to the range to restore my confidence in the pistol AND in myself. I think all is well other than being a tad embarrassed. At least I've learned something!!! The gun didn't change - I did!

kraigster414

Bearcat
shinerjohn":38vwhgd8 said:
Thanks! I appreciate the responses. I "felt" that Ruger would respond that way, but have never had to call on them....

The problem: All of a sudden, the WWB FMJ I have been using will not chamber about 2/3 of the time. The flat nose hangs on the feed ramp. I always clean her thoroughly after each range trip, so it's not gunk. I was thinking of polishing the feed ramp and/or replacing the recoil spring with one of the KT P3AT weights from Wolff Gunsprings.

If you continue to have problems, suggest polishing the feedramp and throat explained in detail in the tech room over at the Ruger LCP Forum (elsieforum.com). As for the recoil springs, Wolff now has "dedicated" dual recoil springs for the LCP in varying weights. Big discussion on that as well in their Tech Room.

shinerjohn

Bearcat
I just got back from the range and all is well. I fired 4 full magazines without a hitch.

Yep, I've been to the elsiepeaforum and have printed out the polishing instructions. It appears I don't need to worry with that at this point.

Jumping Frog

Bearcat
shinerjohn":ixtbhxje said:
The 1st one I put in my LCP would NOT EJECT. That puppy was hung up like a couple of dogs!! I worked and worked until finally the bullet separated from the case.
Your cartridge length was too long and the bullet got jammed into the rifling.

One way to safeguard this when developing a new load is to remove the barrel from your gun. Drop a factory round into it and see where the case rim lines up against the end of the barrel shroud. Then, when you are loading your own, drop one of your cartridges into the barrel. If it sticks up without dropping all the way into the barrel, your OAL is too long. Your own barrel is an effective case gauge.

Latest posts