LCP very long trigger pull

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cobradoc

Bearcat
Just got a new LCP and the trigger pull is so long that the trigger nearly touches the frame before the gun fires. Since the gun is double-action only and no mechanical safety, I understand the need for a long trigger pull. But this is rediculous!! By the time the gun fires my hand is in a tight clinched fist, which is very uncomfortable. Is this normal? Can it be adjusted?

Cholo

Staff member
I have no problem with mine. Using just your finger tip eliminates most of the feeling of the long pull you mentioned, at least for me. It's the same reason some don't like Kahr's, and I do. To each his own...

cobradoc

Bearcat
Would love to use the tip of my finger if I could bend it that far - it's 'cause that unwelcome visitor called "Arthir-Ritus" wont let me bend my trigger finger around that tight.

MountainGator

Single-Sixer
cobradoc":j6jyomw9 said:
Just got a new LCP and the trigger pull is so long that the trigger nearly touches the frame before the gun fires. Since the gun is double-action only and no mechanical safety, I understand the need for a long trigger pull. But this is rediculous!! By the time the gun fires my hand is in a tight clinched fist, which is very uncomfortable. Is this normal? Can it be adjusted?
No adjustment possible. If you want a really small gun, and need a fairly long trigger pull (for safety reasons) Miss Pea is about as good as you will get! Sounds to me like an LCR or a J Frame or a CA or Tarus small frame might better suit your hands. A lot bigger grip, but not nearly as concealable.

"fk"

Bearcat
Get a set of Hogue jr grips and this takes most of the problem away, gives you places for all you fingers except for the little one and changes the whole disposition of pistol.

"fk"

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
"fk"":3672uufa said:
Get a set of Hogue jr grips and this takes most of the problem away, gives you places for all you fingers except for the little one and changes the whole disposition of pistol.

"fk"

No set of grips is going to take away his chief complaint. Which is the
trigger has to go almost to the back of the trigger guard to fire.
A long trigger pull is good for a pocket gun. This one is to India and back, it takes forever for the gun to go off.
Maybe in the future Ruger will make it a wee bit shorter...

vdotmatrix

Bearcat
ah, it is a moot point once you get used to it and understand what happens and when it happens before the hammer is released.

Sit on the couch and watch the hammer go back till it is nearly level. Now look at your finger position.

This is your virtual safety.

you know that if you squeeze just an 1/8th inch more the gun will fire.

Get used to that pressure and finger position as you site in on the target.

Takes practice especially if you have always been a Glock owner and not used to DAO.

cheers

revhigh

Hawkeye
Nothing you can do other than get used to it, unfortunately. I have a KT and it's the same. As much as I like crisp 1911 triggers, the little gun's DA pull is what it should be for a pocket gun with no safety. When practicing, you need to be sure that you maintain the sight picture THROUGHOUT the entire trigger pull. Once you do it a few times it's really no big deal. You learn that you need to keep a firm grip, and if target shooting, a locked and supported arm.

I can easily get paper plate sized groups or smaller at 50 feet with my KelTec. That actually shocked me ... I hadn't expected it to be that accurate.

REV

meanc

Single-Sixer
Like others have said, all you can do is get used to it or go to another small framed concealable handgun.

These are a few that I have owned that fit the bill nicely.

Bersa Thunder, sig 238, Colt Mustang, PPK 380.

These definitely don't fill the "Pocket Gun" role as nicely as the LCP but if you are a bigger gent, they conceal very easily and fit larger hands more comfortably.

Vecco

Single-Sixer
cobradoc":2v13ks1z said:
Would love to use the tip of my finger if I could bend it that far - it's 'cause that unwelcome visitor called "Arthir-Ritus" wont let me bend my trigger finger around that tight.

well if you are doing it right there should be no bend in you finger? you should use the tip and pull straight back at the 2nd joint not curle it. But I dont know what you can or cannot do. I have DDG and a few others and have to do the best I can on any givien day.

Burley

Bearcat
I've seen a "fix" that involves building a spacer onto the back of the grip. This way the gun doesn't sit so far back into the webbing of your palm and you don't have to bend your finger so far. Profile a little block of wood, stick it on there, cover the whole grip with a cut off bicycle inner tube. Materials I might use, release film, epoxy putty and double stick tape.

pisgah

Buckeye
"In a tightly clenched fist" is where your hand will be in a defensive shooting situation, and that is good. Good marksmanship is a thing to strive for, but in the second of crisis you will want to have a deathgrip on your gun, and fortunately that's the way Nature has built us. You should be spending time shooting your gun in the manner for which it was designed -- close-up, fast shooting while the physical responses are running at warp speed.

Assuming a proper stance, finding your front sight and putting it on target, giving the trigger a smooth, controlled stroke -- these are all good things, things that should be done -- but they take time. Now, if you practice A LOT, you can get to the point where all these things come very, very fast -- but still slower than the short, "throw-a-punch"-type shooting that you will need to execute in the vast majority of situations where you'll need to shoot or die. The LCP is just about the best tiny pistol for that kind of predicament.

A

Anonymous

mine needed full pull till i sent it back for the recall. i don't know how they changed it,( i did include a note saying i was getting a lot of jams)but when i got it back the pull had been adjusted so 84% pull does the trick. i am much happier.

Ye Old Fool

Bearcat
Cholo":1w9i9hgb said:
I have no problem with mine. Using just your finger tip eliminates most of the feeling of the long pull you mentioned, at least for me. It's the same reason some don't like Kahr's, and I do. To each his own...

I hate the long pull and have been struggling with it.
I read your post emptied the LCP and dryfired. Bingo !!!! What a difference I will try it on the range next week.

Thank you