LCP reviews

Help Support Ruger Forum:

torresf713

Bearcat
pyth0n":2zeicmba said:
kraigster414":2zeicmba said:
Better Wayno. :D

One thing that needs to be stressed however (because it's a safety issue ) concerns the use of +P in the LCP - I bring it up because it is talked about in your link and folks may not be up to speed.... Ruger has since issued a formal position on this subject and owners and perspective LCP owners should be aware that if they elect to shoot .380 ammo that exceeds the 21,500 psi limit established for the .380 by SAAMI, they do so at their own risk per the factory. Plenty on this at the LCP forum. You decide. Other than that, buy it, shoot it, carry it, enjoy it.

We know. We know Gator. :)

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/service/FAQs.html

From the LCP on line Intruction manual;

The RUGER® LCPTM pistols are chambered for the .380 Auto cartridge. Do
not attempt to load any other cartridges into the magazine or chamber of the
pistol. Do not use "+P" ammunition.
The RUGER® LCPTM pistols are compatible with standard factory ammunition
loaded to U.S. Industry Standards, including hollow-point loads loaded in brass
or aluminum cases. No .380 Auto ammunition manufactured in accordance with
NATO, U.S., SAAMI, or CIP standards is known to be beyond the design limits or
known not to function in these pistols. Do not use "+P" ammunition.

I was also interested because I just put one on lay-a-way, a 372- s/n.

The below info is a little contradictory and may confuse some:
"No .380 Auto ammunition manufactured in accordance with
NATO, U.S., SAAMI, or CIP standards is known to be beyond the design limits or known not to function in these pistols. Do not use "+P" ammunition."

Plus P ammo is within SAAMI specs. Plus P Plus is not. Some NATO ammo is hotter than Plus P ammo. If all NATO and SAAMI spec ammo is not beyond the design limits of this pistol, why would ammo within those design parameters (Plus P) be excluded?

I limit the amount of Buffalo Bore ammo I shoot through my LCP and a BB cartridge is the first round of my mags; followed by standard pressure LE Gold Dots. My LCP has replaced my 642 as a BUG.

kraigster414

Bearcat
I think your post Torres may further confuse. For starters we need to restrict the discussion to .380 not all all calibers whether standard pressure, +P, NATO whatever. So let's make this very simple without getting too deep into the weeds...

1. There are no SAAMI specs for so-called.380 +P.

2. Per SAAMI specs, the limit is 21,500 psi pressure when it comes to .380. Anything above that is not considered standard pressure .380 ammo and Ruger says no to its use in the LCP.

3. Shoot .380 ammo that exceeds the SAAMI limit established for .380 and you shoot at your own risk, to yourself and to your gun per Ruger's warning. Your call.

4. Mainstream, established US ammo makers stick to SAAMI specs, some fringe ammo makers may not, and those that do not may or may not label their .380 ammo as such. For sure Buffalo Bore exceeds the SAAMI limit for .380 and their ammo is labeled +P. 'Just keep in mind that they have taken literary license with the term since there are no industry standards for +P when it comes to .380 so it could be anything.

This really isn't that confusing and I am surprised it still after all t his time keeps coming up here at at the Ruger LCP forum. Your call what you feel comfortable shooting in your LCP.

revhigh

Hawkeye
rugerfreak":30jm8h8n said:
Cleaned it---loaded the mags and now she's ridin in my pocket---life is good sometimes--lol

No test-firing ??? :D Life may not be so good if you need to use that gun, and you discover it won't feed that ammo, or has other issues. I'm guessing you just neglected to mention the test firing part. Also, I don't consider a gun 'proven' with a certain ammunition until I've run at least 100 rounds through it successfully. It may cost you a few bucks, but isn't your life worth a few bucks ?

BTW, nice package and nice price !

REV

torresf713

Bearcat
kraigster414":24ctgzoc said:
I think your post Torres may further confuse. For starters we need to restrict the discussion to .380 not all all calibers whether standard pressure, +P, NATO whatever. So let's make this very simple without getting too deep into the weeds...

1. There are no SAAMI specs for so-called.380 +P.

2. Per SAAMI specs, the limit is 21,500 psi pressure when it comes to .380. Anything above that is not considered standard pressure .380 ammo and Ruger says no to its use in the LCP.

3. Shoot .380 ammo that exceeds the SAAMI limit established for .380 and you shoot at your own risk, to yourself and to your gun per Ruger's warning. Your call.

4. Mainstream, established US ammo makers stick to SAAMI specs, some fringe ammo makers may not, and those that do not may or may not label their .380 ammo as such. For sure Buffalo Bore exceeds the SAAMI limit for .380 and their ammo is labeled +P. 'Just keep in mind that they have taken literary license with the term since there are no industry standards for +P when it comes to .380 so it could be anything.

This really isn't that confusing and I am surprised it still after all t his time keeps coming up here at at the Ruger LCP forum. Your call what you feel comfortable shooting in your LCP.

Good point on the .380 Auto specifically. Although BB declares that it is w/i SAAMI specs, I understand there is no established SAAMI +p spec for this specific round at this time.

kraigster414

Bearcat
At the expense of being repetitious, the max psi for .380 set by SAAMI is 21,500. If BB's energy is 21,500 psi or less, I'd sure like to see to see the test data (done by an independent lab).

Ruger says no to using the stuff. The owner's decision what he/she wants to do. This subject has been sliced and diced over and over again.