LCP or S&W Bodyguard?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

KIR

Sparks, NV
I have a LCP, smallest, lightest without going to a Derringer. Definitely not for target shooting, but for carrying across a poker table, loaded with Hornady's Critical Defense .380's. Whatcha got? Aces and Eights?

David Lee Valdina

Single-Sixer
I think the smallest and the lightest of these pistols would be the Kel-Tec P-32, a .32 acp pistol weighing 6.6 ounces. One in the chamber and 7 in the magazine. Use the Seiler & Belot hardball ammo. It has a higher velocity than the USA made ammo. You can not count on hollow points to expand at the velocities you get out of a small pistol. And, the hollow points are shorter in overall length than the hardball which risks rim lock with the .32 acp cartridges. See my earlier post here. I often carry the Kel-Tec P-32 as it is smaller, lighter and prints less than the Ruger LCP and the S&W Bodyguard.

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
The Bodyguard has more usable sights and the extra 2 or three ozs help remarkably with recoil. I am a very experienced shooter but to give you an idea how much I hated shooting the LCP after nine years of ownership I only clocked in 295 rounds. I have since sold it

RSIno1

Hunter
I will never buy a S & W again! The reason is I had a S & W ultra light weight revolver in .357 magnum. I was shooting brand name .38 specials in it. The gun blew up in my hand, luck has it, I was not hurt. But the gun was ruined. I sent the gut to S & W explained what happened. Weeks latter they sent my gun back to me saying it was not their fault sent us $689.00 and we will send you another gun. Really? S & W customer service sucks!
Do not buy ant thing from S & W
Buy a Ruger you will be much happier!
Rocko Rizzo
NEVER BUY ANY THING FROM Smith and Wesson
And the ammo maker said it was the gun. It's a game they play - never our fault. This case sounds purely the fault of the ammo maker since it didn't go kaboom the first time you shot it.

hittman

Staff member
If my choice was limited to these two, I'd opt for pepper spray.

Snake Pleskin

Banned
When I am in the mood, the 649 is with me in my pocket. I loaded with 148 gr hollow base wad cutters, loaded upside down. The infamou "flying ashtray". Would not want to get hit with one of them!

Attachments

• MODEL 649 2.jpg
    MODEL 649 2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 72
I've had both and the only deciding factor was my Dad: He could rack the slide fairly easily on the Smith, which gave him a thinner gun to hide in a pocket. It came with a Crimson Trace light, which he felt was a bonus.

David Lee Valdina

Single-Sixer
When I am in the mood, the 649 is with me in my pocket. I loaded with 148 gr hollow base wad cutters, loaded upside down. The infamou "flying ashtray". Would not want to get hit with one of them!
Nice looking 649. I have a model 49 which I like a lot. It is nickel plated and looks good, but I would rather it be stainless. It is what I have, shoots well and I trust it. I load double ended hard cast lead wad cutters opting for as much straight line penetration as possible.

Snake Pleskin

Banned
Nice looking 649. I have a model 49 which I like a lot. It is nickel plated and looks good, but I would rather it be stainless. It is what I have, shoots well and I trust it. I load double ended hard cast lead wad cutters opting for as much straight line penetration as possible.
I also have a blued 49. They are so convenient and easy to carry with nothing hanging up. I just use the 649 most of the time because it show no wear at all. I like your load! That load should serve you well. I hope you never need to use it!

BrightSpark

Bearcat
Hello, I am new to the forum, but far from new to Ruger. I have had an old Security Six in my glove box for years, and I had a .223 Ranch Rifle that is one of my "traded it" regrets.

Now I am contemplating a pocket .380. The candidates are down to the Ruger LCP or S&W Bodyguard. I have a slight bias to S&W because my primary EDC is a Shield .40 and my house gun is also an M&P. But the bias is only slight and I am torn between the Ruger and Smith. The LCP is somewhat smaller and thus more 'pocketable' while the Smith's slightly (only slightly) larger size is said to make it nicer to shoot. Either way, after assuring I feel good about function neither will get a lot of mileage, I have other guns that are pleasant to shoot.

I don't hang out on this forum but reviewing more or less recent posts I really do not see a lot of comments good or bad about the LCP. I take this as a very good sign. Over on the S&W forum it seems that there are two sorts of people, those with no Bodyguard problems and those with lots.

So, LCP or Bodyguard. "Why" wound be much appreciated as well as the vote. Thanks in advance!

Jim
was carrying a P365 until I got the LCP MAX--the same amount of rounds, formidable sights (front night sight)--10+1 and 12+1--so much more of a gun that the Bodyguard--not even in the same category anymore--I pocket carry it every day and even wear extra mag on my belt--both pieces disappear during the day--don't even know they are there--it has been quite reliable and for its size, accurate enough.

HoosierBilly1

Bearcat
I sold my S&W Bodyguard 380 and my Bersa 380cc (I loved this one) in order to buy the LCP Max. Not exactly the same as the LCP, but the same trigger of the LCPII and almost the same dimensions. I am very happy with my choice. If the LCP Max was not an option, the LCP would be my choice, but I probably would have kept the Bodyguard

Snake Pleskin

Banned
I sold my S&W Bodyguard 380 and my Bersa 380cc (I loved this one) in order to buy the LCP Max. Not exactly the same as the LCP, but the same trigger of the LCPII and almost the same dimensions. I am very happy with my choice. If the LCP Max was not an option, the LCP would be my choice, but I probably would have kept the Bodyguard
I sold my S&W Bodguard .380 and went with a Glock 42. I am happy I did.

mayralphie

Bearcat
first let me say I was a police officer for 30 years and in that time have fired allot of handguns. I decided to purchase a M&P Bodyguard from a local gun shop. The pistol was used but in like new condition with original box and two magazines. I had read about the light strike problem with some of these guns but decided to take a chance anyway. dissasembled and cleaned and oiled the gun before taking it to the range. Put 50 round through the gun and had 15 light strikes. Took two to three pulls to get the gun to fire. Also experienced four failure to feed and three failure to eject in 50 rounds. This was with both magazines. Took the pistol home and replaced the hammer spring with a Galloway heavier spring to see if this would help. Went to range and had four light strikes out of a 50 round box. Also had two fail to feed and two fail to eject. In my opinion this is not a reliable pistol to carry and S&W should never allow this weapon to be sold to the public. I am shore others have had no problems with these guns but many have making them unreliable .

My choice would definitely be the LCP ll .380. Barely kicks more than the .22 LR version so less adjustments. As for the Kel-Tec P-32, I like the gun, but definitely not a fan of .32 caliber ( which is also hard to find in some states due to it's association with what were known as "Saturday Night Specials" along with .25 s ). However, I would take their .22 LR P-17 in a heartbeat for a backup. Slightly heavier than the LCP ll, it has much higher capacity ( I think its 16 +1 ?)

Notaguru

USMC '56-'78. Not retired - awaiting new orders!
Newbie alert...
To me, the only thing a handgun must do is go BANG! when the trigger is pulled. Carried a 1911 for decades ($18 from NRA in the 60s), then a 637 after retirement. I recently tried a few semi-auto EDC alternatives (thinner than wheelguns, more concealable, more rounds) and picked the LCP Max. A few rough spots, but it's settling in nicely. Dollar for dollar, capacity, recoil, durability - all great. Accuracy of all the small guns isn't important at personal defense range, but this one is surprisingly good. Reliability seems to depend on ammo, but I have high hopes.

Last edited: