LCP Max

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Joezilla

Bearcat
The wife had some major back surgery 6 weeks ago and is doing very well. She took her EDC piece out of her purse so as to lighten her load when we would get out and about during her recovery. She is doing so well that she has mentioned that she's ready to put her firearm back in her purse.

Here's my dilemma..... her EDC is a Ruger LCP II 22LR. I have been pocket carrying it for most of that time in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. I do not even notice it in my front pocket. I really like it. Now that she wants it back, I am leaning to getting another one so I can still have one to carry. I want an LCP Max in .380. It nearly the exact same size as the .22 LR model so my Nemesis holster will work with it.

My question is this.....do any of you have a Max? How is it? How's the recoil? This gun will be in addition to my regular EDC firearm which is a Glock 26MOS carried IWB at 4:00.

Ideas, insights, or alternatives are appreciated!

Joe

hittman

Staff member

Armybrat

Buckeye
The Max is a lot easier to shoot than my original LCP.
Better grip, real sights, and less recoil.
No problems with mine so far - it has served as my EDC for over a year now….
IMG_0431.jpeg

Threespears

Single-Sixer
I like my max.Love the sights as compared to the original LCP.
You already know how easy it is to carry all the time.
Recoil to me is not noticed,
highly recommend the LCP 380

Plug367

Bearcat
I have an original LCP and a LCP Max. The Max is a lot less snappy than the original. I just shot 100 rounds through it the other day at the range and I think it is actually pretty comfortable to shoot for such a small gun. There is defiantly a size difference between the LCP and the LCP Max though. I can easily pocket carry the LCP, but not the Max. I don't like wearing baggy pants though. It's the grip that's quite a bit longer/wider. Not sure how the LCP II compares though.

Recoil is subjective. Many years ago when I first started shooting the LCP, I thought the recoil was Harsh. Fast forward thousands of rounds later, It now feels like a 22.cal
Personally for her, I would stick with the 22.cal.

Or the amazing Mighty Mouse Gun the P32. Super mild. And light weight at 6 1/2 oz or 10 oz fully loaded with 8 rounds of Underwood Defense. Great defensive weapon. For example she would walk to her car with the gun in the Palm of her hand and no one would even notice. And a gun is the hand is very fast to the draw.
GqQwcId.jpg

nIVn09H.jpg
Zf6QDKI.jpg

HoosierBilly1

Bearcat
I do have the LCP Max. It is not my first 380. After owning the S&W Bodyguard, and the Bersa 380cc, I find the LCP Max having less recoil than those 2 that I mentioned. I find the recoil being soft. I have never shot the LCP 22LR, but I expect that one being even softer. My advice is that you both try the the LCP Max by renting it at a range before buying.

KRD

Bearcat
I have both the LCPll .22LR and the LCP Max and really like both of them, and agree that the MAX has a pretty mild recoil.

As far as holsters are concerned, the DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster fits my LCP ll perfectly, but I don't like the fit on the LCP Max, it's just a little too small. The Sticky, size SM2 is a much better fit for the LCP Max.

OMCHamlin

Single-Sixer
...My question is this.....do any of you have a Max? How is it? How's the recoil? This gun will be in addition to my regular EDC firearm which is a Glock 26MOS carried IWB at 4:00.

Ideas, insights, or alternatives are appreciated!

Joe
Joe, I've had one since they first came out, bought it wholesale when I worked at a little gun shop in VA. I LOVE my Max, I carry it in a Sticky Pocket Holster, or I have a little snap on OWB kydex holster that I use once in a while. I carry in my front pocket with the 10 rd magazine, or a breast pocket on my jacket in colder weather. My example has been quite nice, reliable and accurate. Since I've had mine, I've heard a non-stop stream of complaints from some folk about wear, reliability, accuracy, finish, etc. But (knock wood), not mine. MY sample has been good, and based on that (and in truth, there are PLENTY of GOOD running, shooting LCP Maxs out there, you usually don't hear about them, I'd buy it again. Oh, and as far as custom stuff to "fix" the gun to make it work "just right"? Nothing, not one thing. I DO pick the lint and boogers out of it and shoot up the carry ammo every couple of months, cleaning it (more out of ritual then need) afterwards.

IMG_6793.JPG

I started a long time ago with a KelTec P3AT, which the wife soon confiscated and has kept ever since, even though I've offered to "upgrade" hers many times. Her (very valid) opinion on that is "Upgrade WHAT? It works and I can hit with it." "Clean it, replace my laser batteries, gimmie ammo..."
IMG_6808.JPG

HoosierBilly1

Bearcat
I have both the LCPll .22LR and the LCP Max and really like both of them, and agree that the MAX has a pretty mild recoil.

As far as holsters are concerned, the DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster fits my LCP ll perfectly, but I don't like the fit on the LCP Max, it's just a little too small. The Sticky, size SM2 is a much better fit for the LCP Max.
I can only speak for the LCP Max, and I carry is in a IWB Amberide Kydex holster. It carries comfortable. I carry is in my pockets too, with a pocket holster that I can't remember the brand, but it looks and feel almost exactly to the original one that came in the box from Ruger.