Lcp Max

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Carman53402

Bearcat
My LCP Max has an issue with not fully coming back to the closed position. It stops occasionally lacks about 1/2 inch from battery. A little tap and it goes right in. Have about 500 rds thru it. Some ammo works better than others but ball ammo hangs the slide from completely closing. Tried different brands but all the same. Any suggestions? have cleaned it, polished feed ramp and back of the barrel still doing it. Could the recoil spring be weak?

hittman

Staff member
Welcome to the forum. (y)

Ask Ruger to pay the postage/shipping for a trip back to Prescott for service.
It SHOULD work right out of the box.
If you've tried different brands of ammo and different mags you've done all you can do unless you limp wrist it.

Al James

Hunter
Make sure to hold onto the gun nice and tight with a high grip. I have induced a few failures to return to battery while shooting left handed or trying to hit little targets far away. My LCP's have turned into my go to digger squirrel guns while out on the property ;]

whittsailor

Single-Sixer
I had the same problem with mine, not going into battery.

I contacted Ruger Customer Service and they mailed me a new slide assembly and barrel at no cost. That fixed the issue. It took 10 business days from the day I called.

joecrab

Bearcat
I find that if I use ammo with copper plated bullets, the feeding issues are minimized. Also, it seems that I am getting more duds than is usual for .22 LR. I think that is due to the ammo companies trying to keep up with demand and as a consequence of hurrying, quality suffers.

beentheredone

Single-Sixer
How much experience have you had with tiny, frisky-kicking guns? I ask because my best buddy bought the LCP Max and experienced exactly the problems you are having. I went over to his place to check it out, and it shot flawlessly for me. He tried again -- same old same old. I told him to use not a firm grip, but a FIRM GRIP. He did. Problem solved.

A straight reporting of events, and just a suggestion.

joecrab

Bearcat
How much experience have you had with tiny, frisky-kicking guns? I ask because my best buddy bought the LCP Max and experienced exactly the problems you are having. I went over to his place to check it out, and it shot flawlessly for me. He tried again -- same old same old. I told him to use not a firm grip, but a FIRM GRIP. He did. Problem solved.

A straight reporting of events, and just a suggestion.

joecrab

Bearcat
I find that to be true with most smaller semiauto handguns. In the case of the LCP in .22LR, the balance between spring and slide is pretty much critical. What I find most frustrating about the LCP22 is failures to fire. And again, I think it is due to ammunition not being properly primed because when I try the duds in other guns, they don't fire in them either. I had some ammunition that simply would not chamber in a S&W model 17 that I have had for many years with no problems chambering any and all .22LR ammunition regardless of manufacturer. I happen to have a box of 500 rounds of Remington ammo that chambers and fires perfectly in the LCPS. Other than than, the Federal 325 count ammo that Walmart has a lot of, is another perfect performer, as Eley Club. Yet is is a good little gun to use as an understudy gun to learn to shoot the LCP accurately rapid fire at 25 feet. I have learned to keep 2 10 shot magazines within 5" at 25 feet shooting rapid fire.

ImDrRich

Bearcat
So this happened to me and I called Ruger and they told me that the problem was fixed; apparently there was a defect in the extractor spring which caused the slide not to fully go into battery. I got some new parts from them and the problem was fixed.