LCP Max Shoots Low?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

NDAR15MAN

Bearcat
Welcome to the world with Ruger Max 380 shooting 12 inches low at 7 yards and failure to feed issues. I sent my Ruger 380 max back to Ruger 3x in one month. They never fixed the pistol. Kept changing barrel and slide each time. Tech / gunsmith kept sending it back with a target showing 7 bullseyes. You tell me. , I would say the the gunsmith was shooting my pistol at 7 feet and not 7 yards. I sold the pistol had gun show to dealer at $125.00
Loss under full disclosure. I could have fixed the issue myself by fileing down front sight but it cannot be done because of tritium front sight. I even requested they put a metal front sight in my pistol and I will fix their gun no go on that. Unbelievable. Oh I would like to ad I just bought a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 pistol. Barrel has been drilled crooked. So know I get to deal with Ruger customer service again on another gun.
You had better be careful buying a used gun with out full disclosure. Chance are you will get a lemon. Not just with Ruger but other gun MFG's. Industry wide problem. MD

LCPMax

Bearcat
When I got my LCP Max, it worked well for 95% of the rounds (various brands), but one round out of twenty failed to feed. I went back to my armorer days and polished every point where there's contact between the round and the gun, and that solved the problem. I now shoot white box with confidence. However, there is a possibility that changing ammo would change one or more point(s) of contact, causing a problem.
I defiantly believe it was the ramp not being finished or polished enough for the feed issues. Quality control and a simple fix. The mag issue is different. I believe the magazine and mag dropping need a little refinement and no issues for the future. Slowly longer mag and testing different springs will solve that issue. The shooting low I don't know what to do but it sounds like from others it's the sight choice ruger made. I love the sights they put on it but more refinements are needed. Great gun they designed just needs some refinements and I feel it will be the best in its class.

LCPMax

Bearcat
Well got my LCP back again from Ruger. They put another barrel and slide on it. Sent it with a target with their tech shooting it at 7 yards. It's holds a group and he shoots good! But he probably shoots them all day long. Lol. I got it to the range and had some improvement. Still shooting low and left and not good enough for my liking. I have tried changing my grip and getting this to shoot good for me to be a defense gun. Just no luck. This gun does not work for me. I rented the Sig P365 and the first 10 shots were on. The gun is ever so slightlybigger and the trigger is night and day better. Between the trigger and my grip being better I'm able to shoot it much better. So I'm putting this Ruger up for sale and getting the Sig. Here is the target with the ruger tech shooting it. Then here is the target with me shooting the Sig and ruger.

Attachments

• 5DCCEE87-4E5B-49A5-AD19-0CA7384E63B7.jpeg
    5DCCEE87-4E5B-49A5-AD19-0CA7384E63B7.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 116
  • 744936B6-F1ED-4468-92B4-D8EB481A3F9C.jpeg
    744936B6-F1ED-4468-92B4-D8EB481A3F9C.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 109

NDAR15MAN

Bearcat
Tell me about it Freind. Ruger tech / Gun Smith sent you the same target he sent me 3 times in 1 month. You can waste 100's of dollars in ammo and time and it we'll never shoot straight. I took mine to gun show showed a guy the target and he said he would roll the dice on mine for $250.00. I ask him 3x if he was sure he wanted it. he said yes. I ran to my car. MD

LCPMax

Bearcat
Tell me about it Freind. Ruger tech / Gun Smith sent you the same target he sent me 3 times in 1 month. You can waste 100's of dollars in ammo and time and it we'll never shoot straight. I took mine to gun show showed a guy the target and he said he would roll the dice on mine for $250.00. I ask him 3x if he was sure he wanted it. he said yes. I ran to my car. MD
Just sold mine to bass pro shop. Sold the gun and 3 clips for 260. Got the Sig P365. Now to sell the 2 Vedder holster I have for it. Going to try here

LCPMax

Bearcat
I'll have to get to the range and do some shooting with the Sig and show how I do. I truly believe the trigger being better is the majority of why I could not get the Max to shoot straight. But who really knows. Lol

buckaroo

Banned
I truly believe the trigger being better is the majority of why I could not get the Max to shoot straight

You got it right ! It can also get you killed. I once own two Sig P290's both in 9mm and .380 a.c.p., fantastic carry guns but horrible triggers and I even let Sig know about it. A few years later they come out with the P365. But my Sig days are over.
I got a $200 dollar and some change Ruger EC9s that has a trigger that will rival that P365 or anything that Sig or any gun manufacture makes. And right out of the box.

Kokodude

Bearcat
My LCP MAX had numerous issues that Ruger fixed for me.
Now it shoots straight and sits in my pocket most everywhere I go.

Scatto

Bearcat
Just came across this older thread as I'm looking at the LCP Max to suit as a pocket carry, but I'm a bit concerned now after reading this. It is a year old, do you think Ruger has worked the kinks out on this design?

Just came across this older thread as I'm looking at the LCP Max to suit as a pocket carry, but I'm a bit concerned now after reading this. It is a year old, do you think Ruger has worked the kinks out on this design?
I just bought one about a month ago and have put around 200 rounds through it. With the factory tritium front sight, I have to put the whole dot on my intended point of impact but I have not had a single malfunction with the cheapo ammo or the Hornady Critical Defense I've been carrying in it. It's definitely not a squirrel-hunting gun as far as how accurately I can shoot the tiny thing, but it seems to do ok for me. I definitely need to shoot it a bunch more but I like it so far.