LCP Max Shoots Low?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Not how it works with " typical handguns @ typical handgun distances "

The two main factors are bbl dwell time , and muzzle rise from recoil .

Slower & heavier spends longer in bbl , giving more milliseconds for muzzle angle to rise from recoil before bullet actually leaves muzzle .

Faster & lighter spends fewer milliseconds in the bbl , and muzzle hasn't moved as far upwards .

That's why when switching from 158gr to 110 gr duty ammo , front sights were filed DOWN .

Now if we were shooting at 100 plus yards . then ballistic coefficients and gravity , etc become important factors.

I know ,counter intuitive if you primarily deal with typical centerfire rifles , but for at least 25yds , up to 50yds , dwell time and muzzle rise are controlling .

Slower & heavier spends longer in bbl , giving more milliseconds for muzzle angle to rise from recoil before bullet actually leaves muzzle .

Faster & lighter spends fewer milliseconds in the bbl , and muzzle hasn't moved as far upwards .

That's why when switching from 158gr to 110 gr duty ammo , front sights were filed DOWN .

Now if we were shooting at 100 plus yards . then ballistic coefficients and gravity , etc become important factors.

I know ,counter intuitive if you primarily deal with typical centerfire rifles , but for at least 25yds , up to 50yds , dwell time and muzzle rise are controlling .
My bad- I must have skimmed. I didn't catch that we were speaking of 21 foot shots. You are correct, and a big oops for me. ;-)

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
It's more than 21 foot . It's at least 25 yds , up to 50yds depending upon ctg .

NDAR15MAN

Bearcat
I bought my new Max 380 pistol 2 weeks.
I Shot it last weekend. I averaged 13 inches low with 4 brands and gr of ammo AT 7 YARDS OFF a excellent brand of pistol rest. I had 2 guys shoot pistol with same results at range. No way to file the front sight down because of the illuminated type of front sight so has to go back to factory To be honest with you I would prefer a regular ramp site so you can file it down if need be and just paint the front sight every year. Will know in 2 weeks they said if they can fix it. I will report back and hope I can then brag on pistol and their customer service warranty work. Marty

"Pretty sure slower and heavier physically HAS to drop faster. More weight and less momentum- try it with 2 weights by hand."
Physics says that 'in a vacuum, weight does not change the rate of drop' ( in a vacuum, a feather falls at the same rate as a lead slug).
Anyhoo, it's not about the 'drop' of the bullet. It's about the movement of the gun while the bullet is still in the barrel(proven fact BTW). Slower/heavier bullet exits the barrel later in the recoil cycle(and resulting muzzle rise) resulting in a higher POI on target.

Forty-Four Fan

Bearcat
Same issues as the OP. Sent back to Ruger, returned with no improvement. Accuracy also generally pretty poor. The complaints about this model are extensive.

Ruger crapped out on this design. Sold it, went back to my old .380s.

Jrken124

Bearcat
Howdy,

I just picked up an LCP Max, after buying an LCP II .22 that, after a trip back to the mothership, is quite a little shooter.

The Max has been completely reliable with two 12 round and the original 10 round magazine, though I've only put 120 or so rounds through it so far (.380 is still a bit tough to find.) There are a couple things that make it a bit tough to shoot, though:
1. The trigger, unlike the LCP II, is stiff and 'sproingy' (technical term!), weighing it at 8# or so. It's also got a BIG trigger slap, making 50 rounds at a stint pretty uncomfortable.
2. The gun shoots VERY low; like 3" at 21'. And while I'm not Rob Leatham, I've got some experience, including being a military and NRA pistol instructor; this gun is an outlier.

Anybody else notice this? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Larry
I bought my Max in December 2020. Had same problem of shooting low. I've been shooting since a young boy and I'm far from that now at 68. I know when my shot's been a good one and hitting constantly low at 15 feet did not set well with me. After 3 boxes of different ammo (perfect functionality) I did something I've never done before. Returned the gun to Ruger on their dime. Got it back 8 days later with a note stating the gun now shoots to Rugers specifications. No explanation as to what repair was done, other than barrel replacement. Range trip proved them right. Gun now shoots as it should. I wish I new what exactly was wrong with the original barrel but they left me somewhat in the dark there. All I can say is give Ruger a call and go from there. Below is the target of my first 10 rounds at 7 yards after gun was returned. Good luck.

Attachments

• CAD30070-8137-44EA-94A2-147C5B4293FB.jpeg
    CAD30070-8137-44EA-94A2-147C5B4293FB.jpeg
    1,000 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

LCPMax

Bearcat
Hello, just got my LCP Max in .380. So initially had the ramp feed issue every 10-15 shots, also had mag issues with the mag falling out. It was the 10 round mag. When full it would pop out at times but with 9 rounds no issues. Had my dealer send it back to Ruger. Great support! Got it back with a new slide and new barrel. I have put 100-150 rounds through it. Solved my mag and ramp issue. But now the gun shoots 5" low at 7 yards, I have to aim off target at 10 yards, and at 15 yards half of the mag doesn't even hit paper! It has gone back to the dealer to be sent to ruger.

Mauser9

Blackhawk
Sounds like a real PIA issue LCP. Does sound like more gripes from these types. I was thinking of adding another in .380 but have decided on a S&W 442 revolver. Besides got a CS-9 S&W with 3 inch barrel

hittman

Staff member
I was thinking of adding another in .380
Try a Walther PP or PPK. Look for an older German-made one.
Warning ~~ they are not $300 guns like the Ruger but, my experience is they are the best 380 on the market.

Mauser9

Blackhawk
Warning ~~ they are not $300 guns like the Ruger but, my experience is they are the best 380 on the market.
Had one back in 81 but was not german produced. Stamped Interarms on slide. No problems though but later swapped for a CS-9 which I shot more accurately. Made mistakes by looking for that "perfect 1 handgun" which does not exist. LOL Good consideration though.

pyth0n

Buckeye

I used to agree with this explanation of impact differences between light & heavy bullets until I watched slow motion videos of handgun recoil. In those videos, the bullet is long gone before the muzzle begins to rise. So my question is how does it effect the bullet impact? If the gun is sighted in at say 25 yards, then a change in impact between weights is more a reaction to the sights, not dwell time, isn't it?

LCPMax

Bearcat
I'm thinking if I can't get this gun right. It's going back and going to try the Sig P365 in .380. Very similar. I love the fit of the Max! Best fitting micro for my hand and concealed carry, but so far too many problems.

Mauser9

Blackhawk
Fairly new that Sig 365 in 380. Love to read some reviews soon. Sounds like a great idea.

LCPMax

Bearcat
Fairly new that Sig 365 in 380. Love to read some reviews soon. Sounds like a great idea.
I have done a little searching. So far the only issue i have found reported is ramp feed issues. It has been resolved and or it's a break in period issue.

Mauser9

Blackhawk
I have done a little searching. So far the only issue i have found reported is ramp feed issues. It has been resolved and or it's a break in period issue.
Thanks. Subscribe to a couple gun rags and waiting for review. Will be refreshing after reading about all the kazillion black striker fired pistols and new $4000 rifles made for shooting game a mile away.

hittman

Staff member
The older I get the more skeptical I get about a "break in period".

I can see "break in" as far as getting the gun lubed up and loosed up and maybe the trigger smoother. But so many equate break in with "how long until the gun is reliable". I'm sorry, a gun should be made to function without fail IMMEDIATELY.

Like a Glock and like 99.9% of revolvers.

Notaguru

USMC '56-'78. Not retired - awaiting new orders!
When I got my LCP Max, it worked well for 95% of the rounds (various brands), but one round out of twenty failed to feed. I went back to my armorer days and polished every point where there's contact between the round and the gun, and that solved the problem. I now shoot white box with confidence. However, there is a possibility that changing ammo would change one or more point(s) of contact, causing a problem.