LCP Max - polish chamber and ramp?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Notaguru

Bearcat
This little mouse gun is a potentially perfect EDC for me, as I value shot placement over caliber and the sights are bang on (dollar-size groups at 7M, rapid fire). However, as-is this particular LCP Max is unacceptable for emergencies because of occasional failure-to-chamber or failure-to-extract - using various ammo (especially W White Box). Everything else - including slide lock on empty - works perfectly.
In semiauto guns of my long (started shooting about 75 years ago!) history, such issues were sometimes caused by small irregularities in the chamber to which expanding brass locked. FTC was sometimes caused by a less than smooth feed ramp. I've looked at the finish on those surfaces, and they're quite imperfect. Dremel has worked for me in the past, using a felt cylinder and white - then red - polishing bars.

I hate to send the gun to Ruger because I do not wish to be without it (it replaced a 1911, which I sold), and the polish job is just a few minutes.
QUESTIONS:
Will such a polish job void Ruger's generous warranty?
Is there any other fix I should consider?

THANKS!!

joecrab

Bearcat
Whenever I have chambering problems with a semi auto pistol, I polish the feed ramp and also the breech face. Why the breech face? Because as the cartridge leaves the magazine the back end of the cartridge has to slide up the breech face to get aligned with the chamber for chambering. Are these 2 surfaces the culprit is all FTF scenarios? No, but the odds are that that's the problem. As to the extracting problems, polishing the chamber usually does the trick and Brownell's sells chamber hones just for that purpose.

NDAR15MAN

Bearcat
Let’s us know how things worked out for you.
A lot of us have same issues. Thanks Marty

Latest posts