LCP Max ejection of unfixed bullet difficulty

Help Support Ruger Forum:

glockolive

Bearcat
Update: 2 1/2 weeks past and didn't hear from Erica at Ruger CS so I sent an email asking for the status. The next day, I got an email from FedEx that a package was shipping from Mayodan and would arrive in 3 business days. Here's a video of the outcome.

glockolive

Bearcat
Update: It is still hit and miss on emptying a full magazine of live rounds by racking the slide by hand. Sometimes I can empty be it with no issues and the next time it jams every time. Again this is not acceptable because what if, during an altercation, God forbid, and you need to clear a bad round? Here's the wording my most recent email to Erica at Ruger CS:

Hi Erica,
The replacement slide and barrel assembly arrived. Unfortunately, it's acting the same as the original slide that mine came with before I modified it. I'm not sure if you are familiar with any Ruger forums online with owners complaining of the same issue. There are many LCP Max owners that have received replacement slides like I did and are giving up on the LCP Max because of this. We do not understand why some Ruger CS reps are telling us that this is normal. This is definitely a defect. Yes, not everyone is experiencing it but many are. I know that it has something to do with the "cartridge recess cut" because removing it helped mine. I've looked at other demo pistols at different gun stores and noticed that not all "cartridge recess cuts" look the same. Are some are cut better than others? Your engineers need to figure something out to remedy this. I will continue using my modified slide because with the "cartridge recess cut" removed, it seems, for me at least, to have fixed the issue. Ejection is not weak or erratic. Spent shells fly 6 feet away and land at my 9 o'clock to 6 o'clock position. And I've never experienced any hitting my face. I knew that there was an issue with ejecting live rounds by racking the slide by hand because, even with a much heavier recoil spring, my Glock 27 Gen 2.5 ejects live rounds fine by racking the slide by hand every time. Can't say that with an LCP Max with a "cartridge recess cut.". Thanks for your time.

hittman

Staff member
I still can't remember a time when I had to or needed to manually eject a live round from any semi auto I own.
I insert a mag at the range, shoot them all, rinse and repeat.
Thank God I've never had to use my G43 for self defense but feel sure if I did …. It'd probably be an entire mag dump.

Is this manually ejecting live rounds really a thing with many shooters?

IPSC

Bearcat
Look back at my post, #37. For small guns like this, the ejection port may seem a tad short to manually eject a cartridge. Look again at the dimensions I state. The extreme force of the slide moving back DURING FIRING will eject the case. No issues. Any OTHER interference during manual extraction is likely come from the BOTTOM EDGE of the ejection port that needs to be tad lowered, or slightly filed away, like the video I showed doing this.... and also like old-school 1911's needed to get "clean" ejection. Lastly.... the "indentation" on the other side of the slide needs to remain.....I see you filed it off, but that is a bad recommendation to make for others to copy. Long term , after your gun breaks in, not having it will cause problems.

NikA

Buckeye
I still can't remember a time when I had to or needed to manually eject a live round from any semi auto I own.
Thank God I've never had to use my G43 for self defense but feel sure if I did …. It'd probably be an entire mag dump.

I end up ejecting a live round at least every time I travel. Not everyone lives on a range and no sense in wasting an expensive SD hollow point to get the round out of the chamber.

glockolive

Bearcat

If it wasn't a thing, there wouldn't be a tactical technique called TAP, RACK, BANG!

hittman

Staff member
Oh, there's a technique for many things the majority have no use for.
Whether it be for fun or selling accessories or just the clicks.
LC size guns don't strike many of us as tactical weapons.
G17 and other full size semi's, okay I can buy that.

A weapon you have confidence in without kitchen table Dremel tool mods be a much better option.

DEG1

Bearcat
I find this problem a pain in the A$$. When unloading to clean my Max, always have to fight with this. None of my other autos have this problem. That, the trigger pinch and the horrible low shooting, have me thinking about selling it and getting another pocket gun. Too bad, I really had high hopes for this gun as it pocket carries perfectly and love the capacity. Oh, well, think I'm gonna start hunting for a P238 as it's what I wanted in the first place.

hittman

Staff member
Other brands, other models or other platforms work too.
This "problem" seems non existent with my LCR! :ROFLMAO:

denise3p

Bearcat

I can't get to the range much. I need to practice at home dry-fire and sometimes with Strikeman system. I keep my Max 380 loaded with one in the chamber so I do need to eject live rounds when I want to practice. And with the Max, I had live rounds jam and they were close to impossible to remove. Racking as hard as possible didn't do a thing to loosen them. Basically, the Max 380 has issues.

IPSC

Bearcat
Look again at my post #44 and #37....issues are easily fixed. Most problems with MAX solve themselves after some use too.....things are tight and springs are strong when new.... until after a few rounds when all is better.

Latest posts