LCP Malfunctions...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

deputytom

Bearcat
My buddy and I both experienced malfunctions with our LCPs using Hornady critical defense ammo. First shot bang,second pull of the trigger click. Over and over again. It seems like the ammo didn't have enough recoil to cycle the slide back enough to pick up the next round. Most ball ammo worked as should be expected except for S&B ball. What could be the problem and what course of action should we take? TIA. tom.

buckaroo

Banned
What could be the problem and what course of action should we take?

There is none Tom, it's basically trial and error until you find the right ammo it likes. That's a well knon rub with .380 very finicky because it was never design for lock breach guns. It was originally design around blow-back. If it likes the hard ball run with that and don't let the commando's out here tell you about over penetration. You do what you have to do to survive. My 9mm is loaded top 2 JHP the rest ball.

hittman

Staff member
… and some would argue your time and money are better spent on a better quality gun to begin with …

some folks don't seem to mind a $250 gun that needs $200 worth of ammo to "break it in" and the after market trigger and polishing the feed ramp and a different recoil spring, etc. etc. etc.

Me? I got over that and moved on. YMMV.

KIR

Sparks, NV
Some people have problems with their firearms and others are the problem. I have an original LCP and it works fine with Hornady CD ammo. It is not going to last very long as it was not made for a lot of shootin', just for carryin' across a poker table... ;)

mike243

Bearcat
Limp wrist? let somebody else fire a few rounds off and see if it stays the same. Hate to hear of 2 new guns with the same problem, I run hard ball in my pocket buddy most of the time

deputytom

Bearcat
Limp wrist? let somebody else fire a few rounds off and see if it stays the same. Hate to hear of 2 new guns with the same problem, I run hard ball in my pocket buddy most of the time
Could be the little guns are moving in our hands causing the "limp wrist" effect. I guess I'll try again with the ball ammo that did work properly. tom.

RC44Mag

Buckeye
A range pistol is one thing but something I'll carry on occasion for PP needs to be 100% reliable. If it can't meet that level its not carried. I have one .380 a Beretta 84F. From the cheapest ball to Hydra Shocks to Corbon it just works every time. I don't carry it anymore but still take it to the range but nice to know it can be depended on if ever needed. As mentioned I would try different mags, feed ramp polish and a recoil spring and make sure the slide rails are lubed well.

Last edited:
My buddy and I both experienced malfunctions with our LCPs using Hornady critical defense ammo. First shot bang,second pull of the trigger click. Over and over again. It seems like the ammo didn't have enough recoil to cycle the slide back enough to pick up the next round. Most ball ammo worked as should be expected except for S&B ball. What could be the problem and what course of action should we take? TIA. tom.
If it helps, I have found - after trial and error- tham my LCP has zero problems with CCI and rarely with Aguila

This is a different handgun, but maybe worth mentioning my experience.
Kel Tec P3AT purchased in 2005 I got it as a on duty back up/pocket gun. As far I I remember I only fired Federal 90 gr JHP Hydra Shok ammo. I test fired it at least 25 rounds before carry and needed to qualify with it once a year with 25 rounds. Any jams or fail to feed would make one reshoot, any more malfunctions and it was not allowed to be carried until the next year then it could be tried again.
It worked 100% with that ammo. I "Qed" with it for the following 4 years. After that, the next 9 years I only fired it several times with the fed ammo without problems.
Since I have purchased FMJs to practice with and recently fired a box of 50 in each of these. PMC had 15 jams/fail to cycle and no fire. Aquila had 12 jams/fail to cycle and fail to fire. American Eagle and Blazer brass worked 100% as did 25 rounds of Fed 90gr JHP Hydra Shok last week.
On every round that did not fire they had a small primer hit, each fired when tried the 2nd time. My guess is the action was not in full battery and my guess is those rounds were not powerful enough to fully cycle the action 100% of the time. I have been wanting the test fire the Hornady SD ammo, but have not. I don't even know if the Fed Hydro shok is available any longer. Last time I bought any was 2013 and I still have a 25 rd box.

Last edited:

deputytom

Bearcat
With the Critical Defense ammo we both had flared out and split cases with the ones that fired. I don't understand what exactly what was going on with this ammo. tom.

buckaroo

Banned
Tom, get on the horn to Hornady and let them know, in the mean time don't fire that crap again, less we get possible kaboom. It happens, bad batch from the factory, rare but it can happen.

deputytom

Bearcat
Sure sounds like more of an ammo problem to me... especially after you posted about the split casings.... I was going to ask how new both pistols were but it's best to keep it one direction as to what the problem is... and I vote ammo.
Both are several years old with no previous problems. I'll try other brands of ammo. Thanks. tom.

Kokodude

Bearcat
My LCP MAX simply hates Fiocchi FMJ.
Every other round gets stuck between the feed ramp and the top of the slide.
It seems to do just fine with everything else I've tried.

Latest posts