LCP II Failure to Extract

Help Support Ruger Forum:

plunk111

Bearcat
I've had an LCP II for a couple of weeks now and have put over 200 rounds through it... It feeds all my ammo EXCEPT Sig (both defense and target). I get failure-to-extract problems with both. The odd thing, I thought, was that it works perfectly with PMC, Ruger ARX, Blazer brass, and Herters. Well, I think I figured it out - the Sig ammo has a flat point and none of the others do. The magazines in the new LCP II sit about 1mm too high, allowing the top round in the magazine to block the extraction of a spent cartridge (at least with my pistol) for the first couple of rounds. I have no problems if I only load 4, btw... The magazine seats so high that the rounds barely even touch the feed ramp! I called Ruger and they are sending me a new mag, but my confidence is low - I suspect all the mags are like this... Moral of the story (at least for me): don't shoot flat-point ammo, which includes wide hollow-points. Since my ammo of choice is ARX, it's not a big deal, but I do think it is a design flaw.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Hornady FTX line of bullets have good rep for working. This round may work for your gun. https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/0000390080/380-auto-90-grain-critical-defense-25-rounds

Performance of this round is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H9M6cZGd18

louchia

Single-Sixer
Many guns are ammo picky. I agree with gramps, just don't shoot Sig. You did the right thing by trying different ammo. Every one should do this. It's a little costly, but it is important to have a dependable gun and ammo if needed.
If it is a problem with the gun, Ruger will fix or replace it. at no cost. Ruger has great customer service.
Enjoy the gun.

reliable

Bearcat
I read the posts here yesterday after purchasing a new lcpII. Thought I would have serious ammo problems, as Sig ammo is what I use in my wifes' G42. Put 23 rounds of Sig hp, 25 rounds of hornady hp, and 57 rounds of mixed ball (blazer brass and white box win). Had a round (ninetieth) fail to eject, but it was probably my fault as I was shooting left handed and could have limp-wristed. Am very happy with pistol but my point is that we each have to try ammo in our own pistol and not go by what that ammo does in someone elses' gun. Take care and Happy New Year. Larry