LCP - hard chrome

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Didn't see it mentioned here yet but there's to be a hard chromed LCP coming. Just a FYI. :)

bub

Single-Sixer
While not as good as stainless, a HC LCP would be great. Guess I might be looking at one after all!

Bub

halfmoonclip

Bearcat
Can't say I've had a problem with mine rusting, but I don't live in a really humid climate.
Always thought the two tone KelTecs were kind of hansome, so this should be as well.
Moon

bub

Single-Sixer
halfmoonclip":2jy6yhbd said:
Can't say I've had a problem with mine rusting, but I don't live in a really humid climate.
Always thought the two tone KelTecs were kind of hansome, so this should be as well.
Moon

halfmoonclip, my problem is that if I so much as touch blued steel, it begins to rust FAST! In fact, my sweat can even rust stainless inside of a day, unless I wipe off my carry gun immediately after sweating on it (S&W's stainless, anyway; so far my Ruger stainless guns haven't rusted at all). I must have battery acid for sweat or something. I'm kinda waiting for a stainless LCP, but hard chrome would work OK, too. I'm looking for a good pocket gun and prefer revolvers, but the LCP has piqued my interest.

Bub

halfmoonclip

Bearcat
Bub, our range officer has a similar problem. He rotted the finish off a stainless/nickel Smith Airweight twice; the second time he sent it off to Smith for refinishing, they shipped him back an all-stainless one and said 'don't call us; we'll call you".
If you really have that much trouble, you might either wait for the Ruger one, or get current production and investigate having the slide hardchromed. Done right, hardchrome is incredibly durable (more so than stainless). My counsel would be to hardchrome the slide only; even magazines could be kept wiped; once inside the grip, it shouldn't matter.
Do consider an LCP. I'm a longtime J-frame guy, but the little Ruger is just so much easier to hide that it isn't even a contest.
Moon

MoHawk

Bearcat
BlkHawk73 wrote
Didn't see it mentioned here yet but there's to be a hard chromed LCP coming. Just a FYI.

BlkHawk73, can you tell us where you got that info. I have seen this mentioned on other forums several months ago however it can not be confirmed. I hope it is true as I would be interested in one.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
2ndchromelcp_001-tfb.jpg

This is one that was chromed after leaving the factory but gives a visual as to what it'll look like.

halfmoonclip

Bearcat
BlkHawk73":y3mucukz said:
2ndchromelcp_001-tfb.jpg

This is one that was chromed after leaving the factory but gives a visual as to what it'll look like.

BlkHawk, who did your work, and what did it cost, if you don't mind my asking?
Any issues with the extra couple thousandths that the HC adds to parts like the extractor?
I probably won't do anything now, but if mine gets skunky enough, maybe.
Thnx,
Moon

patrick_ford

Bearcat
I like the was that looks. How come they are offering a hard chrome version instead of a staiknless slide version? It seems like a stainless slide version would be cheaper and would fit in for with the other pistols in Ruger's line up...

I'd probably buy either given the opportunity. :)

Thanks,

Patrick

halfmoonclip

Bearcat
The obvious answer is that stainless is harder to machine and would require some changes in production, as compared to carbon steel.
Hardchrome isn't terribly hard to apply, and is used in a variety of industrial applications, and can be done to current production. It's also pretty durable; maybe more than stainless.
Moon

K9-Bob

Bearcat
I've been a street cop for almost 30 years and I've found that a hard chrome finish is about the most durable gun coating I can have for a off duty backup or pocket pistol. It seems more impervious to sweat that any other finish I have used, but it certainly looks a little to "bling" for some peoples tastes.

I usually have Ron Mahovsky of Metalife do my hard chrome and its been damned near indestructible. Now that Ruger is offering a factory hard chrome for the LCP, I may have to buy one and give it a try.

By the way aafilho, your LCP look great hard chromed.