LCP Custom better than the Bodyguard?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BCubed

Bearcat
I've got my first concealed carry handgun narrowed down to two choices: the Smith & Wesson M&P Bodyguard .380 (no laser) or the Ruger LCP Custom .380.

I'm going to be carrying it in the front pocket of my blue jeans/dockers/short (in a holster of course) because that is the spot that will best suit my current needs and situation.

Unfortunately no ranges nearby have the LCP Custom model that I can try...the LCP, but not the LCP Custom.

For anyone who has gone through this same process recently, did you choose the LCP Custom (or regular LCP) over the Bodyguard .380?

Thanks for any and all help.

BCubed

Jim Puke

Hunter
I have the reg LCP...but if I were to buy again, it would be the Kahr CT380...over the LCP or the Bodyguard. My son just bought the Kahr and there is no comparison in the shootability of the Kahr compared to the either of the others.

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
I have the LCP custom & my girl has the bodyguard with the laser. I like them both.
I've never had a problem with either. No jams at all with any ammo. I went with the LCP mainly because of the size & weight. And I like Ruger's.
Now Jim I have never shot or even held a Kahr so I'm interested to here why their is no comparison between the 3 pistols.

swmetal

Bearcat
I went through the same process of trying to decide on a 380 carry. I really wanted the Bodyguard because of the last shot slide hold open and the double strike ability, but after handling the Bodyguard, I couldn't get past the trigger pull that doesn't break until the trigger is all the way back against the frame. The LCP custom I think is much better than the standard LCP as the trigger "feels" much better and the sights are usable.

I liked the Kahr, feels great in the hand, but read too many reviews on spotty reliability. Of all the pocket guns, the LCP seems to have one of the best reliability reviews. I will throw out another contender to consider - the Beretta Pico. The Pico trigger is better than the Bodyguard and has both double strike ability and slide hold open. It also had real three dot sights.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
swmetal said:
I liked the Kahr, feels great in the hand, but read too many reviews on spotty reliability.
That's odd since most of the reviews say the Kahr's in general are very reliable. Kahr recommends a 200 round "break in" procedure but most tests say even that isn't needed. My PM9 (obviously a sample size of one) had one failure to eject on the 5th round fired with a brand new gun and then never bobbled again.

swmetal

Bearcat
22/45 Fan said:
swmetal said:
I liked the Kahr, feels great in the hand, but read too many reviews on spotty reliability.
That's odd since most of the reviews say the Kahr's in general are very reliable. Kahr recommends a 200 round "break in" procedure but most tests say even that isn't needed. My PM9 (obviously a sample size of one) had one failure to eject on the 5th round fired with a brand new gun and then never bobbled again.

I have heard good things about Kahr in general, but very spotty forum posts for the P380/CW380. Many posts about them being reliable, but many say not. Just check out the various posts at Kahrtalk.com such as http://www.kahrtalk.com/archive/index.php/t-27982.html, as well as other forums.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I have had 4 S&W Bodyguards. Why 4, because it was the best pistol out there that I could carry in my front pocket with out a holster. Due to the long trigger pull. I did not like the LCP at the time (felt like a toy to me). I kept getting rid of the BG because I wanted to try a 9mm. I would buy a 9mm and it would not work out and would trade it back for another BG.
Finally the LCP Custom came out and traded my BG in on that new Ruger LCP Custom and have never looked back. I also carry it in my pocket most of the time without a holster (Long Trigger Pull) Very good gun and I like it very much. I rotate it between my Kel-Tec PF9 depending on the size and fit of my pockets.
I like the Custom

swmetal

Bearcat
MYBABYISA44MAG said:
Any thoughts on the kimber micro 380?

Kimber Micro, SIg P238 and Colt Mustang all great pocket 380s but definitely a different animal than the LCP/Bodyguard. Kimber, et al are twice or more the cost and are 1911 style SA only rather than the DAO action of the LCP/Bodyguard.

Latest posts