LCP Bluing

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cbzdel

Bearcat
I have an LCP with only 50 rounds though it (cheap target 380 is hard to find in my area) But with only 50 rounds through it I noticed the bluing is really worn on the top of the barrel, particularly on the flat area above the chamber. And its not just a little scratched up it is worn to bare metal.

This does not seem normal to me, but maybe for a gun of this size it is normal.

Any input?

Thanks!

halfmoonclip

Bearcat
Are we talking about the barrel hood that locks into the ejection port? Early guns had an 'in the white' barrel due to this; every time the gun cycles, the hood is dragged across the front edge of the ejection port.

These scuffs are harmless; not to worry. If it really bugs you, touch it up with cold blue, or else strip off ALL the bluing on the barrel hood.
Moon

aafilho

Bearcat
You should give Ruger a call to have that fixed, i haven't had any problems with my keltec or lcp's.

vdotmatrix

Bearcat
cbzdel":1vfz3sqk said:
I have an LCP with only 50 rounds though it (cheap target 380 is hard to find in my area) But with only 50 rounds through it I noticed the bluing is really worn on the top of the barrel, particularly on the flat area above the chamber. And its not just a little scratched up it is worn to bare metal.

This does not seem normal to me, but maybe for a gun of this size it is normal.

Any input?

Thanks!

I have 150 rounds through it and I noticed general lackluster it had just 45 days ago. Glock has that nice tennifer finish but this Ruger seems pretty thin. A little disconcerting how not made in the USA seems to be better quality overall, but I like this LCP very much. With practice, i got an acceptable grouping.

halfmoonclip

Bearcat
Tenifer is Glock's proprietary gun finish, and it is quite durable, tho' the current variation tends to be a little slippery when racking the slide.
Ruger's slide is just blued. That's part of the difference between a $300 gun and a $600 gun.
Would it be good if Ruger put a more durable finish on the slide? Sure; hardchrome is supposed to be somewhere in the pipeline, tho' personally I'd prefer some kind of hard, black finish.
But as far as the OP's original question, scuffs on the barrel hood are entirely normal; perhaps Ruger chose to blue the barrel to distinguish between 370 and later 371-series guns.
It would also please me if Glock made an LCP-sized gun, but that ain't gonna happen.
Moon

Charger22

Bearcat
Glock does it just isnt available here.

I polished my whole barrel, wouldn't recomend it to any one, they blued them for a reason.