LCP and defensive rounds

Help Support Ruger Forum:

What is your Favorite defensive HP round?

• DPX

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • talons

• hydroshock

• Remington Golden Sabers

• or just Ball Ammo

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vdotmatrix

Bearcat
This is such a nice CCW, I hardly remember i carry it sometimes.

I have heard alot about this .380 cartridge doesn't produce enough power to expand defensive rounds on target but was wondering what reliable round works best?

Heard alot about the DPX.

thanks in advance

AZ Outlaws

Bearcat
You asked... "What is your Favorite defensive HP round?" but you listed ball ammo to??? Anyway, you could list a few more popular choices before I can vote....

Remington Golden Sabers are a very good round a lot of people use. It's my overall favorite round. The DPX is a close second in my smaller caliber pistols.

I rotate between Golden Sabers and Cor-Bon DPX in my LCP and SR9. I use strictly the heavier Golden Sabers in my .40S&W and .45ACP pistols.

081g.jpg

vdotmatrix

Bearcat
The lighter DXP would have the faster muzzle velocity given the same amount of charge, eh?

twobisquit

Single-Sixer
It sounds like most of us have to settle for whatever we can get our hands on due to availability. Right now I am carrying WWB's and my only alternative is 95 g LRN reloads. I would prefer to run about 100 rounds of any of the above brands through ms Elsie before deciding on any thing.... so I'll watch this thread and see what the rest of you prefer

kraigster414

Bearcat
You've got some good ones there and all good choices for the LCP given that no matter what you load, it's still a .380. Talon?

Left off but also popular are the Gold Dot, Double Tap (hot) and Hornady Critical Defense.

And yes, despite Ruger's warning to the contrary there are folks who rely on Buffalo Bore +P in their LCP because they can. Your call. I do shoot it in my Kahr P380, a gun rated for +P. To this day, I still do not know by what percentage BB's PSI exceeds the SAAMI limit for .380. Not sure I want to know. :)

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I don't have an LCP, but when I shoot .380 (Sig P232) I prefer ball. As you say, you can't count on expansion out of a short barreled .380, so I'd rather have the reliable feeding of ball.

If I were to carry my .380 more (I generally now opt for my 9mm PPS when I want something small) I'd probably check out the Hornady Critical Defense ammo with their FTX (gel filled HP) bullet. Assuming I could find it. I use it in 9mm, and will be buying some .45 ACP as soon as my store restocks.

-- Sam

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
Yosemite Sam":2neaev7f said:
I don't have an LCP, but when I shoot .380 (Sig P232) I prefer ball. As you say, you can't count on expansion out of a short barreled .380, so I'd rather have the reliable feeding of ball.

If I were to carry my .380 more (I generally now opt for my 9mm PPS when I want something small) I'd probably check out the Hornady Critical Defense ammo with their FTX (gel filled HP) bullet. Assuming I could find it. I use it in 9mm, and will be buying some .45 ACP as soon as my store restocks.

-- Sam

I will disagree with you Sam. Not your choice of Ball ammo. But your reasoning. You CAN count on expansion out of a short barreled .380 with any premium ammo. They all have it down pat.
I wouldn't discount a HP for that reason.
Now of course you give up a great deal of penetration for that expansion and that would be a valid reason to pick ball ammo.
But claiming .380 HP won't expand is an antiquated way of thinking.

I would still pick a Saber, but really ball or most anything will accomplish the goal.