LCP and .380 +P

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Grendel

Single-Sixer
I couldn't respond to the recent sticky post that was made, so had to here.

I think that message should warn more against purchasing .380 ACP +P ammo than against using it in the LCP. The reason being is simple: SAAMI does NOT have specs for .380 ACP +P. Any ammo manufacturer selling ".380 ACP +P" ammo is doing so with arbitrary data, as there is no +P specification for that round.

Warning against not using +P .380 ACP ammo in the LCP is like warning folks not to use 9mm +PP+PP+ ammo in the SR9. The specs for that ammo don't exist, so of course you wouldn't use it in that gun.

Eh. Dreary day. Feel like complainin'.

-JT

LightningMan

Bearcat
I have heard Cabila's has a sign in there LaVista store near Omaha NE, that says NOT to use +P ammo in the LCP. But it doesn't supprize me that some haven't heard or read anything about not using that ammo. Only a couple of weeks ago I was at my clubs indoor pistol range and someone in the next stall was shooting a LCP, and when I asked what kind of ammo, he replied, "Buffalo Bore +P" He also went on the say that they have a lot more kick than the other ammo he has shot. I did go on to explan about Ruger saying not to use +P ammo, but he said he hadn't heard of that before. LM

Wild Bill '67

Single-Sixer
LightningMan":2nunxtkj said:
I have heard Cabila's has a sign in there LaVista store near Omaha NE, that says NOT to use +P ammo in the LCP. But it doesn't supprize me that some haven't heard or read anything about not using that ammo. Only a couple of weeks ago I was at my clubs indoor pistol range and someone in the next stall was shooting a LCP, and when I asked what kind of ammo, he replied, "Buffalo Bore +P" He also went on the say that they have a lot more kick than the other ammo he has shot. I did go on to explan about Ruger saying not to use +P ammo, but he said he hadn't heard of that before. LM

Buffalo Bore +P in the LCP??? Probably not a good idea whether the factory warns against it or not, but I bet that guy will be the first to complain about the quality of Ruger firearms when he ruins it.

mtncrash1

Bearcat
Maybe he should have read the book that came with his LCP.Says right in there to not use +P. And to confirm Cabelas in Lavista does have a sign up.

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
It ain't gonna kill your gun or maim you to carry 7 rounds of whatever.
Ruger can't come out and dictate something like that, if they say you can shoot anything made then some fool will put 3000 rounds of Buffalo hard cast in it and get killed.
But the other side of the coin is the paranoids who feel the gun will explode with a box of Buffalos.
Gimme a break. I have shot literally hundreds in Keltecs and LCP's and nothing happened except a slightly sore wrist.
Just use some common sense.

toysoldier

Hunter
gatorhugger":3h2f51pi said:
Just use some common sense.

Common sense----isn't.

The same guy who buys a 2-seat auto with 400+ horsepower will put +P loads (or ++P++, if he can find or load them) in any and every gun, regardless of factory warnings.

After stripping my LCP and seeing just how lightly built it is, there's no way I would put anything other than standard .380 ammo through it. Ever.

alienbogey

Bearcat
"I have shot literally hundreds in Keltecs and LCP's and nothing happened except a slightly sore wrist. Just use some common sense"

The book says NOT to use +P, and that's common sense?

revhigh

Hawkeye
toysoldier":1f7v6mhd said:
After stripping my LCP and seeing just how lightly built it is, there's no way I would put anything other than standard .380 ammo through it. Ever.

Right, and there's absolutely no reason to use this 'supposed' +P ammo ... anyway. I honestly think many people use it because they can say ... Oh, I use 380 PLUS P, I'm a bada$$ ... good old 380 ammo isn't good enough for me ... I need MORE firepower than that.

I always laugh at the seemingly endless threads that discuss carry ammo, and velocity, and expansion characteristics, and percentage of weight retained, etc, etc as well. Like even a 22 wouldn't stop virtually any attack instantly. Would YOU keep attacking someone if they shot you a few times with a 22, or even brandished a pellet gun ??

Plus P is just a con by the ammo companies .... and a way to extract more money from unsuspecting ammo buyers. If anybody remembers ammo that you bought 20-25 years ago, like 357 ammo .... that stuff would have been PLUS P +++++++++++++, and it was just called 357 Magnum.

Today's ammo is so powered down it's ridiculous. If most people used to shooting garbage ammo like WWB ever got a hold of a box of 25 year old 357 magnum, after one shot they'd be afraid to shoot the rest. I've shot junk 357 magnum ammo that wasn't as hot as older 38 special ammo. People shoot stuff like Buffalo Bore and say .... ooooooooohhhh ahhhhhh that Buffalo bore ammo is soooooo HOT .... well, it's no hotter than SAAMI specs allow, which is how factory ammo USED TO BE LOADED.

REV

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
alienbogey":2d2wz46v said:
"I have shot literally hundreds in Keltecs and LCP's and nothing happened except a slightly sore wrist. Just use some common sense"

I didn't say those hundreds of rounds were in one pistol. At last count I have had something like 4 lCP's, and at least that many P3ats. I kinda lost track on how many I have owned and sold.
I was buying them before most people ever heard of them.

The point was that a box or two of Buffalo bores isn't going to make your gun explode. Ruger doesn't say "go ahead, shoot anything" because that opens the door to behavior that the gun isn't made for. Somebody would put 10,000 rounds of hot stuff through it. Afterall, Ruger said I could!

But a box or two isn't going to damage your gun. I have done it numerous times, it's not that big of a deal. Shoot normal FMJ for practice and if you want to carry 7 buffalos I assure you that you will live.
I personally carry Golden sabers, a relatively mild round, because it allows for faster follow up shots, but if someone is dead set on carrying a few hotter than normal rounds it is safe.

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
alienbogey":3ibril4m said:

My Kel-Tec P3AT manual says nothing of the sort. Actually - it does address the issue.... Quote:"The P3AT will accept +P ammunition, however not with continuous use." End Quote

Actually IIRC reports indicated that it actually functioned better with the stronger loads. And how much are P3AT and the LittleCopiedPistols really going to be fired. I fire mine for function with the different ammo I have, and very occasionally at the range to make sure I know how to use it - but I'm certainly not going through 100's of rounds.

kraigster414

Bearcat
The older LCP owner's manuals do not mention the +P prohibition, the newer ones do and have for some time. Your decision on what to feed your LCP and how much (your gun) - the forum is simply advising members on the factory's position regarding the use of +P ammo in the LCP.