LCP ammo?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

s4s4u

Hunter
For those of you who buy ammo, which is the most reliable FMJ practice ammo in your gun? Also, which personal defense ammo do you prefer? My daughter's LCP doesn't like my handloads so I wanna get her a few hundred rounds for Christmas that the gun won't continually do this with

slGx3Le.jpg

I have run 50 rounds of Blazer Brass through it without a hitch but wondering what else people have good luck with.

Was going to get her some Hornady Critical Defense for that purpose.

TIA, Rod

unionprez

Single-Sixer
I use Herter's ammo (from Cabela's) for target practice and Underwood 90 grain Xtreme Penetrator for carry ammo. The .380 is a marginal defense round at best (in my opinion) and I think using hollow points makes it even less effective. There are reviews and videos of the Underwood ammo and it's pretty impressive. It's not cheap, but it's not for target practice either. I very seldom carry my LCP Custom for protection, but for any caliber I carry, I don't look for what's on sale, I pay for the price that it is with no questions asked. Nobody's life should be put on the line because their carry ammo is cheaper than the good stuff. One last note, if you should decide to go with the Underwood ammo or any other for that matter, do not use +P ammo in your Ruger LCP. Good luck.

I have shot many different loads in my LCP II. There have been absolute zero malfunctions of any kind. For carry I have used Sig, Fiocchi, Federal, and Hornady ammo. There seems to be no preference in my gun, it likes them all.

I would buy a 20 round box of defense ammo from a couple companies to see if one shoots better in her gun. Then buy a bunch of that ammo.

I use Tula for practice. I load my LCP so that the first two rounds are Gold Dots then Tula FMJ. Second mag Tula only. Tula is inexpensive, feeds well, and reasonably accurate. FMJ penetrates better.
gramps

ftlupton

Single-Sixer
I use Leigh or Underwood for carry and Winchester fmj for practice. Know the fmj penetrates more so why not use the Underwood design that penetrates and causes a good wound channel?

LAH

Buckeye
Heliman said:
My carry choice is Hornady Critical Defense 90gr FTX ammo for my LCPII.

I use this also in my LCP.

OP you might try the Magtech 95 gr. FMJ load. They fed without fault but were unstable leaving elongated holes in the target.

ftlupton said:
I use Leigh or Underwood for carry and Winchester fmj for practice. Know the fmj penetrates more so why not use the Underwood design that penetrates and causes a good wound channel?
It is all about hitting important organs deep in the body. A big hole that stops short of an artery or heart is not as good as a smaller hole that perforates the heart or artery. After the first few shots, if the conflict isn't over, combatants tend to seek cover. FMJ tends to penetrate better there also.
gramps

gramps said:
ftlupton said:
It is all about hitting important organs deep in the body. A big hole that stops short of an artery or heart is not as good as a smaller hole that perforates the heart or artery. After the first few shots, if the conflict isn't over, combatants tend to seek cover. FMJ tends to penetrate better there also.
gramps

I have quite a bit of experience with the LCP's. I highly advise NOT to shoot Plus P out of one. They are NOT designed for it. If you want to shoot Plus P get a Beretta Pico or Kahr. The best ammo I have used for small pocket guns is PrecisionOne.(which is also rated #1 by Shooting the Bull.
You can shoot Standard ammo out of the LCP, they do have a hotter plus P which I use for the Pico and Kahr. And it is for me the most accurate of all I have tried.

I'm pretty well stuck on Georgia Arms Bulk.... has never failed me in any pistol I own including my LC9s.

During the last ammo shortage I contacted Georgia Arms a week before a gun show here and ordered 500 rounds of .380... when I went to pick it up at the show it almost caused a riot....

capecuddy

Bearcat
My carry ammo shall be (if it feeds in my wonky extractor that is off to Ruger for repair) Lehigh Xtreme Defense. Their Xtreme Penetrator is actually too extreme. For FBI specs, Xtreme Defense nails penetration AND wound channel. It's 65gr so perhaps a little less kick? I've got a box and they are in fact kool kartridges. On paper targets, they leave a big "X" which kind of illustrates how they must work on bad guys. For range and every day carry, the Winchester blunt nose 380 is also an interesting choice. Way cheaper and probably good enough for carrying on most days.