LC9s vs SR9c

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rowanfae22

Bearcat
I just finished my Permit to Carry class. Yes, I passed. I am shooting a SR22 4.5 barrel right now but want to move into a 9mm. I had the opportunity to shoot the SR9c and liked it, even though it felt a bit heavy. (Remember, senior lady here.) I have also held the LC9s and loved the feel of it in my small hands. But I have not gotten to shoot it. There are not too many gun shops around here, and most will not let you shoot a new gun to try it out. Do any of you have a preference for one or the other? Thanks.

I have the original SR9 (Not C) and I carry the LC9S. The double-stack magazine on the SR9C will make the pistol heavier simply because of the additional ammo capacity. But that helps with felt recoil. Nevertheless, I find the LC9S very comfortable to shoot well. I strongly recommend you find someone who will let you shoot or rent the LC9S. Most important is how well you can work the slide and how well you shoot it, as compared to the SR9C.
If you aren't comfortable with it, you won't carry it for long. Also think about how you plan to carry it. Gun purse, holser (IWB/OWB), belly band, etc. The LC9S will definitely have the advantage for carry flexibility. Good luck on your decision. Don't let someone else make it for you.

Larry from Bend

Single-Sixer
Good advice. Definitely shoot one before you buy. Some recoil will be evident and it DOES take a bit of effort to rack the slide. I carry a LC9s --- it's my first striker-fired carry pistol. All my others have a hammer and are double action. I find that the possibility of a accidental discharge is certainly greater with this style of pistol. Always have the trigger guard covered and be extra careful holstering and unholstering.

You may know all of this already -- didn't mean to sound condescending.

rowanfae22

Bearcat
Thanks to steveodtw and Larry from Bend. Great advice from both of you. I am heading up to a different gun shop tomorrow and he has a used LC9s he said he'd let me try. And Larry from Bend.... you don't sound condescending. I am very new to having my own guns and learning to use them correctly. That is why I joined the forum. I was hoping to get answers to all my questions. Looks like I came to the right place.

I would be a little reluctant to recommend the LC9s (pro) to a person that is new to guns... this is the one with 4.5lb trigger pull and no safety... If you can rack the slide on the safety model and don't mind the recoil on the small pistol then I think you would be happy carrying it. But I do believe these pistols should always be carried in a holster, not loose.

Welcome....

WMB30

Single-Sixer
My wife (also senior lady) as of one year ago never fired a gun in her life. Started her out on a .22 MarkII, then on to the LC9s Pro. Took her a couple weeks of practice to become safe and proficient working the slide. Most shooting done using a strong side holster. A couple more range sessions and she will have fired 9K rounds with her LC9s. Go for it rowanfae22

Bill

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
If I've learned one thing in the 50 years I have been shooting handguns it is this: everything about a gun involves a trade off. Small gun equals easier carry, but more felt recoil. Heavier gun gives less felt recoil but could be a pain to carry. I could go on and on but ultimately you need to decide.
I have both the LC9s and SR9c and I never carry the SR9c and frequently carry the LC9s. The SR9c is just a great shooter; I have put more rounds through that one than any other gun I own, but I don't carry it because of size and weight. I prefer small, light guns and recoil doesn't really bother me. But that's me.

rowanfae22

Bearcat
Thank you all. I read all your replies and went out and shot the LC9s yesterday. It did kick just a bit more than the SR9c, but not enough to bother me. It felt wonderful in my hand and I had no trouble racking the slide. So I put some money down on a new one and will be picking it up soon. Now I need to go to the ammo section of this forum and find what's best for my new 9mm! And I have to look for a purse with a conceal pocket.

ammo choice can be just as confusing as pistol type... I would not get too wrapped up in this. Any good 9mm self defense ammo should work... of course check it out to make sure. I would run a magazine of what ever you choose through he pistol every once and a while but I would also buy some standard 115 grain full metal jacket for actually practice.

Cubby

Single-Sixer
rowanfae22 said:
Thank you all. I read all your replies and went out and shot the LC9s yesterday. It did kick just a bit more than the SR9c, but not enough to bother me. It felt wonderful in my hand and I had no trouble racking the slide. So I put some money down on a new one and will be picking it up soon. Now I need to go to the ammo section of this forum and find what's best for my new 9mm! And I have to look for a purse with a conceal pocket.

I'm not sure what your work or social environment is, but I'm not a big fan of "Off Body" carry! I would look for a way to work it into your wardrobe.

s4s4u

Hunter
There is a lot of good info on this site for women who carry and how to:

https://www.corneredcat.com/contents/

teuthis

Single-Sixer
I purchased the LC9S because it has a model with a safety. I have the older LC9 which I am selling. a 9mm is going to have considerably more felt recoil than a .22 caliber pistol. With practice that can be overcome. The LCR's are solid and do not impart more than normal felt recoil. I like mine. Good luck with yours.

rowanfae22 said:
Sounds like you made a good choice for you. Practice as much as you can. You don't have to shoot it until it hurts. A self defense situation will probably only involve a couple of shots at most (hopefully never). Those are the ones that count. I like Hornady Critical Defense ammo. It's low flash, low recoil, very dependable performance. As already stated, lots of good ammo choices out there.

stare-decisis

Single-Sixer
I've had both over the yrs. I liked the sr9c better, just seemed higher quality, easier to shoot well. The sr9c can be a do it all kind of gun too. My kahr cm9 took over for what the lc9 did and the kahr is better in my opinion.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
rowanfae22 said:

Besides the advise you get here from a bunch of old guys, I'd suggest you look into this resource.

http://thewellarmedwoman.com/

Besides catering to the special needs of women who carry in terms of products and advice, they also have chapters around the country where you can connect with other women who shoot, get some professional training, etc. :)

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
GunnyGene said:
rowanfae22 said:

Besides the advise you get here from a bunch of old guys, I'd suggest you look into this resource.

http://thewellarmedwoman.com/

Besides catering to the special needs of women who carry in terms of products and advice, they also have chapters around the country where you can connect with other women who shoot, get some professional training, etc. :)

PS: Concerning ammo, it's much like anything else - you get what you pay for. Beyond that, every gun will "like" one brand/bullet weight/design more than others due to very slight differences in the ammo and the gun. My suggestion is to buy one box of each of the recommended brands/styles on your short list and try them out for accuracy and reliability in your gun. A little extra expense, but worth it to make an informed decision on ammo which you may have to rely on to safe your life someday. The objective is to optimize the System, which consists of You, the Firearm (and it's accessories, such as holsters, etc.), and the Ammo. All three must work together.

Personally, I prefer Hornady Critical Duty which is a high quality 9mm 135grn bullet specifically designed for self defense. They also offer a slightly lighter round - Critical Defense - that you may prefer.

rowanfae22

Bearcat
Such wonderful advice from all of you. To update...I now have my LC9s in possession and have shot it a few times. I am using Hornady Critical Defense (thank you GunnyGene). I love the Cornered Cat web site and have just started looking at Well Armed Woman web site. Now I need to Practice, Practice. I am very good with my SR22 and get a lot of close groupings with the 10 rounds. But I can't figure out the sighting on the 9mm. I am doing it the same way and consistently shoot low to the left. Again, GunnyGene, I think you're right. I need to find some one on one training.

You've done well, Pilgrim. (forgive the macho reference, but it applies). One of me first Rugers was a single Six 22LR/22WRM revolver. I couldn't shoot that to save my life. Followed by my LC9, LCR, GP100, LC9S, all shoot better than I do. I'll probably never get rid of any of them. You just have to find that sweet spot and practice. Sounds like you're well on your way. Kudos for not allowing friends/family to tell you what gun/ammo you need.

If there is anyway to manage it, take a defensive handgun class... do the research and find one like this... I'd suggest at least two days.... and you will learn and contain more than years of just going to the range and shooting at a target.