LC9s safe to carry with round in chamber

Help Support Ruger Forum:

loaded round

Hunter
Of course. The pistol was designed to be carried with a round in the chamber with the safety on or off as your choice. The LC9s can not be fired in any other way accidently unless the trigger is deliberately pulled. This is the inherit design of a sticker fired pistol. Bear in mind that all Glock pistols are striker fired and are have no manual safeties. Please forgive this analogy, but made since they're are so many Glock's out there being carried these days by police departments.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Keep in mind that Police generally carry those Glocks in a duty holster and that is different than tucking it away in a concealed IWB holster that you can't see. Re-holstering striker weapons that do not have a manual safety require special care to make sure that articles of clothing do not start in the holster with the gun. We see this at the IDPA matches where participants get help from the range officer when clothing starts to get in the holster during final re-holstering. Fortunately, IDPA protocol requires clearing of the weapon as each shooter finishes his turn. Glock can be carried in a kydex IWB snap on clip holster and following use the holster could be withdrawn to permit holstering with both hands in front of the operator and the holster with gun encased could then be put back(as a unit with gun in holster) on the belt. Of course, if the owner has visual of the holstering, that would be enough to ensure safety.

The likelihood of actual armed confrontation is very small, but there is real daily risk from mishap during gun handling. The old LC9 with the long trigger pull did not need a thumb safety, but the new striker replacement benefits greatly from the thumb safety IMO. To answer your question, YES the LC9s is safe to carry chambered with the thumb safety on. Make sure that your thumb safety is positive and does not flop out of safe position as some I have seen do. If your safety is not positive, contact Ruger, they will be glad to fix it for you.

loaded round

Hunter
VRDYER asked about a Ruger LC9s that does have an excellent manual safety that I can vouch for since I own the same firearm and it is my summer carry pistol. He did not ask about a Glock, that in my opinion, is a very unsafe pistol unless carried in a rigid hard holster.

MountainWalker said:
Keep in mind that Police generally carry those Glocks in a duty holster and that is different than tucking it away in a concealed IWB holster that you can't see. Re-holstering striker weapons that do not have a manual safety require special care to make sure that articles of clothing do not start in the holster with the gun. We see this at the IDPA matches where participants get help from the range officer when clothing starts to get in the holster during final re-holstering. Fortunately, IDPA protocol requires clearing of the weapon as each shooter finishes his turn. Glock can be carried in a kydex IWB snap on clip holster and following use the holster could be withdrawn to permit holstering with both hands in front of the operator and the holster with gun encased could then be put back(as a unit with gun in holster) on the belt. Of course, if the owner has visual of the holstering, that would be enough to ensure safety.

The likelihood of actual armed confrontation is very small, but there is real daily risk from mishap during gun handling. The old LC9 with the long trigger pull did not need a thumb safety, but the new striker replacement benefits greatly from the thumb safety IMO. To answer your question, YES the LC9s is safe to carry chambered with the thumb safety on. Make sure that your thumb safety is positive and does not flop out of safe position as some I have seen do. If your safety is not positive, contact Ruger, they will be glad to fix it for you.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Loaded round, you are correct. I digressed because I was reading earlier comments about the so call "Pro" model of the LC9s which has no safety. I should look more carefully at the actual comments of the original poster of the particular thread.

Trucker

Single-Sixer
vrdyer said:
Is the LC 9s safe to holster with a round in chamber and safety on?

With the safety on, yes. About as safe as it gets. With the safety off ... not something I would consider. At least not in a concealed carry mode.

Some people will tell you it's safe to carry with the safety off and a round in the chamber. But the fact is, that has and will sometimes result in unintentional discharges. Think not? Click on the link ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw-jTCNZSmY ... and watch a police instructor shooting himself in the foot in front of a class with a striker fired pistol! I once owned a striker fired pistol with no manual safety ... for a very short time. I simply refuse to take the chance of carrying a loaded pistol with no manual safety.

Practice presenting the weapon by automatically sweeping the safety off with the thumb .. but be sure you're practicing with an unloaded weapon! It's so easy and doesn't add any time to the presentation. The result is you can have the best of both worlds ... a concealed carry weapon ready for action but still as safe as it gets.

loaded round

Hunter
Two points to consider my friend and I'm not disputing any points you've made.
1. Consider who that law enforcement instructor is (slower case intentional) and his level of intelligence.
2. As an NRA Certified Police Instructor, I always tell my classes that a firearm is only as safe as the person holding it. I am not fond at all of the Glock and it's ignition system, yet over 50% of the municipal police departments use the Glock. Why? Because Glock's are the cheapest firearm on the market today for police procurement plus Glock offers a generous trade in for their used firearms and in turn resells them through selected wholesalers. Interesting study for you, research what many state police departments are switching to these days. Frankly I won't own a Glock nor let my sons buy them. JMHO!

loaded round

Hunter
After having a Glock 21 blow apart in my hand with factory ammo, I have a very strong opinion about Glock Inc. and it's not good!

DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
Your right about safety, but thoughts on the Glock are simply opinions, not fact.

WMB30

Single-Sixer
Interesting, was there a determination as to what caused the Glock to fail?

BILL

loaded round

Hunter
Glock never gave me a definite reason for the failure but they did replace the entire pistol. This turned out to be a PIA because they had to ship it to a FFL dealer since it was a new pistol with a new serial number. It cost me 25.00 to receive it and Glock refused to reimburse me. I actually came out ahead when I sold it for 50.00 more than I paid for it. Never again will I own a Glock!

WMB30 said:
Interesting, was there a determination as to what caused the Glock to fail?

BILL

SpicyMcHaggis

Bearcat
If you don't carry your weapon charged and ready, you are basically carrying a hammer. If you aren't comfortable with that, you need more time with fire arms; more range time, training, experience. First off you should learn trigger discipline. Never, ever hold a gun with your finger inside the trigger guard until you intend to fire. Start practicing that and it will become 2nd nature.

Mike J

Hunter
With a striker fired pistol that does not have a manual safety one should never get in a hurry when reholstering. It is actually a good idea to look & make sure nothing is getting hung up in the trigger guard when holstering the pistol. If you get the LC9s that has a safety it is your choice about whether to use the safety or not but if you do not use it just take your time about putting the pistol into the holster. Some may disagree with this but as far as a carry gun unless I am shooting it or cleaning it I tend to leave it in the holster fully loaded. I put it on & off with the pistol still holstered. Also use a good quality holster that covers the trigger guard & make sure you follow Jeff Coopers 4 rules. Here is a link if you are not familiar with them http://donath.org/Rants/TheFourRules/