LC9s mags

Help Support Ruger Forum:

NCman

Bearcat
Hello....new to the Forum. I just purchased a Ruger LC9s pistol. Since only 1 mg came with the pistol, I purchased another one on Ebay and the seller claimed the mag worked for both LC9 and LC9s pistols. I received the mag and it will not self eject from the gun....I have to pull the mag from the pistol as I press the mag release. I suspect the mags (LC9 and LC9s) are not interchangeable (even though seller claimed it worked fine in a LC9s). Can anyone help me with this issue? Thanks

rugerguy211

Single-Sixer
Welcome.
I have both an LC9 and an LC9s. The mags I have (all 7 round Ruger) work fine in both.
It sounds like the Ebay mag is not a Ruger?
Folks say the MecGar mags, made in Italy, are excellent.
Beyond that, I have no knowledge of other mag brands for the LC's.

roylt

Hunter
Welcome. I assume it is a promag. I have heard that they do not work for the "s". I got factory Ruger mags for 26 bucks so the 15 dollar units didn't seem like a deal on ebay. Ebay is not the best deal on a lot of things.

Wanted a ruger factory part to replace a part on a revolver. Ebay was 14.99. I called ruger directly and got the same part for 7.44.

Good luck but I would return if at all possible and go factory mag.

WildWes

Bearcat
I picked-up 2 promags for my LC9s. Both were very difficult to insert, seat and had to be pried out by hand. From now on, I'll stick with the Ruger magazines.

roylt

Hunter
I found factory mags for 26 bucks so for me the aftermarket was not a good option. 26 bucks for something that only holds 7 rounds sounds bad but they work and if not I know Ruger will help.

Looks like we had a one post wonder... but hopefully the OP at least came back and read the responses....

I was at a local outfitters the other day and saw 9 round mags for the LC9.... but I did not bite at something like $45 each... for what the LC9 and LC9s is designed for, I think 8 rounds is adequate..

roylt

Hunter
I actually like the flush fit factory mag. My pinky tucks under.

roylt

Hunter
I think (and I did too until I tried it) that people just get it in their head they need something for their pinky to grab/hold on to. I just wish glock was as good as Ruger with cust service. I need a second flush fit extention for my 43. Ruger gives you both in the box. Glocks answer is to give two mags instead with different mag bases.

kraigster414

Bearcat
The less expensive ProMags have since the dawn of creation been considered inferior in quality to the MecGar or other OEM pistol mags. This is another way of saying they are considered crap, for the range only. So trying to save a few bucks on something as critical as magazine functionality makes absolutely no sense at all.

Second point....I see no reason to hold out for Italian made LC9 magazines vs. American made LC9 magazines. They both work fine in your LC9. If you are having magazine problems with the US made mag, you may want to look at another part in your gun as the cause. I have done comparison firing in my LC9S Pro with both and neither the Italian or the American has caused one single problem. Yes, the spring tension is a hair less in the American magazine but again it works fine. I wouldn't hesitate to use an American mag in my LC9s Pro for carry.

dlidster

Single-Sixer
I have four of each. I have never had a single malfunction in several thousand rounds in either. (I use my LC9S-Pro as a CCP in IDPA matches. I use my LC9 for fun.) Yes, the Italian magazines are nicer, but I [personally] don't feel they're better.

I carefully measured the width of all eight right at the locking notch. The average thickness of the Italian-made magazines is .4726". The average thickness of the American-made magazines is .4664". That's a difference of .0062". According to my digital caliper, this is less than half the thickness of my thumbnail. I don't think it's anything to get upset about.

kraigster414

Bearcat
Somehow it's become an urban legend that the American made mag for the LC9 is inferior to the Italian MecGar. More gun forum BS (I have read this on multiple gun forums) spread by people who haven't the faintest and are prepared to blame problems on something or someone else. Both mags work fine in the LC9s and LC9s Pro and should be fine in the original LC9 as well, albeit I haven't tested. I don't even look to see what mag I am using at the range anymore because they both have been flawless in my LC9s Pro.

Slight tolerance variations do exist from one mag to the other. This is true for all mags if you want to get down into the weeds. These tolerances for the most part are very minimal and the shooter experiences no difference in terms of reliability. If your mags are not dropping the way you want, get into the mag well with a little 600 grit wet/dry paper and gently polish the surface areas. 600 grit paper will not take off any polymer. You can finish things off with 800 or 1000 grit paper and apply a light coating of oil. See if this makes a difference. It has worked for me. The more you learn how to do simple stuff on your own the better. And stay away from the ProMag brand. It has had a bad reputation for quality and reliability for as long as I can remember.