LC9 Stove Pipe

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dixienormas2

Bearcat
This might be considered a double post, if so I apologize, just looking for insight and others experience with the issue.

I have owned my LC9 since mid-December and only have around 250 rounds through it currently and have been in love with the gun up until my last range trip. I purchased 2 new clips for my little 9 before heading to the range. (Was excited because I had been waiting for a month for them, apparently they are very hard to procure currently.)

Upon arrival to the range I loaded up all 3 clips, and slowly put the first clip down range with a nice grouping @ 10 yards. I then proceeded to fire the second clip also at 10 yards with horrendous results! I had them sprayed everywhere. I got to looking at the gun and noticed my rear sight had come loose and was sliding 1/4" inch left or right. No biggie, I tightened it best I could with my pocket knife until I could get home to an allen wrench.

I then loaded up and shot the third clip (One of the two new clips) with much better results accuracy wise. The second to last round stove piped on me. I don't think I was limp wristing it, but I guess I very well could have. Also I wonder if it had anything to do with the new clip.

The stove pipe concerned me a bit, so I loaded up all three clips a dumped out all the ammo as quick as i could trying to replicate the stove pipe. Chewed up all the clips with no issue, but the rear sight was getting loose again.

I packed her up and brought it home, tightened the sight properly and gave her a good scrubbing. I have also swapped my XD45 as my carry gun as my confidence is a tad shaken in the ruger. (Could of been the new clip, or my limp noodle wrist) I just know my XD45 has never faultered in over 2,000 rounds.

I have also been reading up on the light strike issues people have been reporting, and I can honestly say that I have not inspected my spent casings, but I will on the next range trip with great detail. I plan on throwing 200-300 rounds down range with her this weekend and will update on how it goes, maybe I can get a little confidence back in her.

Has anyone else had any experience with stove piping? It seems everyone has either had ZERO problems or horrible light striking problems.

FYI - I clean ALL of my guns religiously after EVERY range trip if they fired 1,000 rounds or 10 rounds. I was also using winchester white box target ammo from wally world. I have also ran a box of 50 federal hallow points and a clip of speer gold dot. She stove piped with the white box wally world target round.

sailor

Bearcat
My wife has an LC9 & an SR9c. She stove pipes the SR9c every second or third round - always! (It is now mine :D . The LC9 has never stove piped for either her or me, never. Incidentally, the SR9c does not ever stove pipe when I fire it. Go figure. Three different magazines (not clips) used in the LC9 - all good!

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Stovepipes can very well be caused by light loads in ammo. If it was a short loaded round, that could and probably would be the cause. Much of the factory range ammo out there has reported issues like an occasional short load, most factory defense ammo is far better in quality of build.

BrittB

Single-Sixer
My LC9 always worked well but it always seem a little better when I used a better quaility round. It loves Hornaday!

PhoenixFan

Bearcat
Had my "Five Day New" LC9 at the range yesterday. Four mags worked w/o problem during 175 rds put through. Shot Winchester FMJ (white box); Federal FMJ bulk; Hornady Critical Defense and Federal Hydrashock. Not seeing any light strikes in the ejects I could retrieve. Getting used to the trigger pull and range's 25yd minimum target distance was my challenge. I definitely DO like the gun! /PhoenixFan