LC9 Range Report

Help Support Ruger Forum:

meshugunner

Single-Sixer
Took out my new LC9 w/laser today and shot about 80 rounds.

I was expecting a snappy recoil so I loaded up some very soft rounds. 105 gr RN with 3.0gr of 231. It didn't do well with those. It was obvious the slide wasn't being driven back hard enough. Switched to my regular 125gr RN with 4.1gr of 231 which is on the hot side, and it ate 50 of those quite happily along with some mystery ammo left over from an old reload batch and some Tulammo Russian stuff which is fairly hot. Recoil was much milder than I expected. If I'd brought more ammo, I could have shot another 200 without feeling beaten up. Just a bit snappier than my S&W 922 on the same diet. I'll shoot the wimpy rounds through my Blackhawk.

Yes the trigger is a long pull and it breaks almost at the rear of the trigger guard where the finger feels like it's out of position. Nevertheless, it's a smooth pull (it does stack ) and by the end of the session I was getting the hang of it. But I am very fussy about grips and triggers so I will probably get the Galloway mod. At the end I was shooting 'stripes' - groups about 1" wide 3" tall @10yds. So trigger control needs work but it looks promising.

I don't like the grip. I have small hands and I didn't think I would ever find a semiauto where the grip wasnt thick (side to side) enough but this one is too skinny. It could be fatter without compromising concealment. I used the pinky extension plate (I rely on my pinky for recoil control) but there's nothing behind it and the rear bottom corner of the digs into my palm. Nevertheless, the gun was easy to hold and control.

Fits easily into the front pocket of my pants - though it's going to need a holster to draw it easily. Tucks into my waistband very neatly where it's almost invisible and very comfortable. I will get an IWB holster for it.

Sights can be adjusted for windage only. Elevation seemed to be dead on - though my trigger control may be masking a problem.

It comes with one 7 round single stack mag. A second costs about $26. They are very compact.

I like having a mag safety and a 'round in the chamber' indicator but I don't see the need for a safety lever on a DAO pistol. Revolvers don't need it, why should a semi auto? In this case it really adds no safety and creates the possibility of a failure to fire at a critical moment. I am considering removing it.

Take down is simple and easy but you need something to push a pin out. A ball point pen works. I could not release the slide using the slide release button. I had to rack it.

I haven't spent any time with the laser yet. This is my first laser gun. I plan to use it for dry fire practice and for point and shoot.

Despite its shortcomings, it's a great little gun for a very reasonable price. It's a Ruger which means it's likely to be tough and reliable and it's backed by their amazing customer service. I paid $335 for this one (with the laser) on GunsAmerica.

This and my Airweight will by my primary EDC guns. I plan to put several thousand rounds through it in the near future.

Iceaxe

Bearcat
"I could not release the slide using the slide release button. I had to rack it."

My LC9 had this quirk too until about 500 rounds passed through it.
Also, it is still difficult to release the slide on an empty magazine.. but a FULL magazine is a different story.
My LC9's slide release works easy with even one round in the magazine.
I think the last shot hold open mechanism on am empty mag is the culprit.
Maybe give that a try but of course realize you are playing with a loaded gun at that point so best to do at the range or pointed in a safe direction etc. (I know it's obvious.. sorry)

One other thing i had happen to my new LC9 was the rear sight allen screw came loose after a few hundered rounds.
I tightened it once and it has never come loose again after several thousand rounds now.

Your experience (with the LC9 at the range) seems similar to mine. I really like my LC9.
In fact I am thinking a full frame pistol like the Ruger SR9C might be in my future.
thought about 40 cal for a while but since i am a sport shooter mainly i think sharing one caliber of ammo works better for me.
Also have a friend with a full frame 9mm and it is a whole different ball game shooting that pistol compared to the compact guns and larger calibers.

Despite all the trouble i had with my Ruger Mini 30 rifle and FTF's.. Ruger has won me back as a happy customer with their pistols and their customer service stories here on this forum.
I think it is time to go gun shopping again!

edited: spelling

EVR

Single-Sixer
I have become quite a fan of the LC9.

I bought mine on a lark, an impulse buy intending to play with it and then dump it. I didn't expect it to be accurate OR reliable.

It has been both. A great pistol which I carry everywhere.

Some target pix;

LC9.jpg

EndOfDayZeroedtheLC9at10metersWithPMC115FMJ.jpg

Here's a group shot at 25 meters.

heiniehat.jpg

I made a holster for running, and will use it for backcountry skiing and might use it on the snareline this winter, too.

MikeyLikeCarbonFiber

Single-Sixer
I have an SR9c that I use for my CC and love it. I'm looking to get an LC9 to use in an ankle holster for times when I can't CC my SR9c. I've seen some great reviews on it which is swaying me even more to go and pick one up!

meshugunner

Single-Sixer
I shot a couple of mags with my buddy's SR9. I couldn't believe how nice it was and the trigger was sweet. I already have a 9mm in that category so I couldn't justify buying one. I bought the LC9 to stop myself buying an SR9. I doubt it will work. I may have to get an LCP also

exavid

Hunter
These things are like potato chips, it's hard to stop after one. I bought an LCP for summer carry right after they came out and after spending a lot of rounds learning how to shoot the thing liked it enough to buy it's larger brother the LC9. That one shot accurately for me right out of the box. It's my main carry since I got it. I also carry my SR40c just for it's firepower when I'm going out in the brush or somewhere with a coat on since it's a bit harder to conceal. Somehow though even though I really like shooting the SR I still like a hammer fired pistol over a striker system.

meshugunner

Single-Sixer
@evr - thanks for the target photos.

Well I have about 300 rounds through this little guy now. I haven't fed it any HP's yet but it eats ball ammo without a hiccup. I'm getting used to the trigger - dry firing with the laser really helped - and when the press is right, I get 1.5" groups @ 7yds. When it isn't I am off the paper. I could get used to it but I still feel it's an unnatural position for my finger. I am going to get the Galloway mod. I'm still not crazy about the grips but I dont notice them when actually shooting. I'm still amazed at how little recoil there is. I got one squib stuck in the barrel. I accidentaly hand loaded a round without powder. The primer drove the lead bullet into the barrel and wedged it in hard. This can cause a bulge in the barrel. Particularly in semi autos with their thin barrels but after tapping it out, the LC9 was just fine. Tough little guy.

There are sub compact 9mm's out there with better triggers, with nicer grips and even with a smaller profile. But this gun is tough, reliable, accurate, inexpensive and last but not least, the low recoil means I can really practice with it.

EVR

Single-Sixer
The more I carry and shoot the LC9 the more I like it.

Tho I'd prefer that all pistols had ambi controls, some "right hand" pistols actually seem better suited for lefties like me, such as my SIG's.

At first the right hand safety really annoyed me as I like the idea of a positive safety on such a gun as this. But now after time, I've gotten smooth in snicking the safety off with the base of my trigger finger as I initially grab the gun, so that is no longer a problem for me.

Triggers are very personal things and some like this, some that. I like the trigger on the LC9.

As others have mentioned, this is a VERY shootable pistol. I actually worry a bit that I might wear it out, as I doubt the gun is designed for heavy usage. I'd love to know what extreme round counts these guns have endured.

If I had to make one change in theory at least, I'd swap the aluminum rails for steel. Weight difference on such a small part should be inconsequential, but the life expectancy of steel raisl should be much higher than the alum alloy ones, I'd think. Probably matters not.

Anyway, I'd highly recommend the LC9 based on my excellent experience.

meshugunner

Single-Sixer
Well my LC9 went back to Ruger. At the range this Sunday, fired one shotand the firing pin came out of the back of the gun and hit me in the face! Fortunately it had to push the hammer back on the way out which robbed most of the momentum. The hammer face showed two or three divots as if the pin had been trying to do this several times previously.

Ruger CS wanted to know if I had done a lot of dry firing with snap caps. I have dry fired it a great deal but never with caps. And why would caps cause a problem? They emailed me a prepaid shipping label. I am sure they will do right by me. They always have.

I was shooting handloads, but these were soft charges. With the powder I use, it's impossible to double charge a 9mm - the case overflows. I would have noticed a hot round from the recoil. It was mild. I know the primers were in the right way - I check every round when I load them into storage boxes. So I dunno.

I am loyal to Ruger partly because of their support but also because their products have a rep for ruggedness and reliability. This is a bit unsettling.

ozark777

Bearcat
MikeyLikeCarbonFiber said:
I have an SR9c that I use for my CC and love it. I'm looking to get an LC9 to use in an ankle holster for times when I can't CC my SR9c. I've seen some great reviews on it which is swaying me even more to go and pick one up!

I've been trying to decide on an SR9c or LC9 as my CC in an ankle holster.... Is the SR9c not doable in an ankle holster?

VA Dave

Bearcat
ozark777 said:
MikeyLikeCarbonFiber said:

I've been trying to decide on an SR9c or LC9 as my CC in an ankle holster.... Is the SR9c not doable in an ankle holster?
Go for the LC9. I've got both guns and the LC9 is perfect for pocket or ankle carry. The Sr9c is a sweet pistol for nightstand or truck but the LC9 is better for CC. That's why I bought it.

ozark777

Bearcat
VA Dave said:
Go for the LC9. I've got both guns and the LC9 is perfect for pocket or ankle carry. The Sr9c is a sweet pistol for nightstand or truck but the LC9 is better for CC. That's why I bought it.

That's where I was leaning. I already have a P95 for the nightstand (thinking about switching with the 1911 though).

EVR

Single-Sixer
meshugunner said:
Well my LC9 went back to Ruger. At the range this Sunday, fired one shotand the firing pin came out of the back of the gun and hit me in the face! Fortunately it had to push the hammer back on the way out which robbed most of the momentum. The hammer face showed two or three divots as if the pin had been trying to do this several times previously.

Ruger CS wanted to know if I had done a lot of dry firing with snap caps. I have dry fired it a great deal but never with caps. And why would caps cause a problem? They emailed me a prepaid shipping label. I am sure they will do right by me. They always have.

I was shooting handloads, but these were soft charges. With the powder I use, it's impossible to double charge a 9mm - the case overflows. I would have noticed a hot round from the recoil. It was mild. I know the primers were in the right way - I check every round when I load them into storage boxes. So I dunno.

I am loyal to Ruger partly because of their support but also because their products have a rep for ruggedness and reliability. This is a bit unsettling.

Wow.

Ain't that the damndest thing.

Keep us informed!!

meshugunner

Single-Sixer
The LC9 came back yesterday. Ruger sure turns things around fast. Went out last Tues, came back the following Mon. I didn't pay a dime for shipping or repairs. With S&W it takes weeks till they even put the gun in the work queue. The letter said the firing pin had been replaced with no more explanation. However the hammer, which showed peening had not been replaced.

I called CS and asked why the hammer had not been replaced, and more importantly what the @#$! happened that the pin flew out the back and why should I trust this gun in the future. I got through to a tech (the one who actually worked on the gun) who said that the retaining pin, a cross pin that fits through a slot in the firing pin, had not been properly installed. He added that the guys who do the production assembly (which is done somewhere else, not in Prescott AZ) are rather rushed and sometimes this pin gets bent slightly which makes it prone to shearing or buckling. I know Ruger is swamped with orders these days and I have heard there are QC concerns.

As for the hammer: The hammer is a block of soft steel striking a hard firing pin. It is designed to seat itself against the pin in the first few firings and the peening I had complained about was just as it should be and should progress no further.

I am still uncomfortable with the whole thing but I am taking the attitude that Ruger has an outstanding rep for ruggedness and reliability and even the best companies turn out the occasional lemon. So I will give them a pass on this one. You don't give up on a trusted friend just because he screws up once.

I'm off to buy an LCP :)

meshugunner

Single-Sixer
Took her out to the range today and fired 100 rounds through her. Runs just fine. I'm getting control of the trigger now. The trick for me is to use the very bottom of the trigger. If you look at the geometry of the trigger you will see that when it breaks, it's the bottom of the blade that it vertical. I sweep my finger along the trigger guard and as I approach the break, I roll the contact point down to the very tip. Works for me.

At the present time, Galloway does not have any drop in parts to sell for their trigger mod. You have to send in the hammer and trigger bar from your gun and they mod it. I am reluctant to do this since it would make it awkward to send it into Ruger if need be. Right now no one is selling OEM Ruger hammers for the LCP. I will wait till Galloway has their own parts or I can buy a separate hammer. By that time I may not feel the need.

After shooting the LCP, I shot 100 rounds through my Airweight. What a difference! Even though these were very soft charges, I still felt beat up by the end.

wildwillyLC9

Bearcat
meshugunner said:
.Ruger CS wanted to know if I had done a lot of dry firing with snap caps. I have dry fired it a great deal but never with caps. And why would caps cause a problem? They emailed me a prepaid shipping label. I am sure they will do right by me. They always have..

Anyone get an answer to this? I bought some snap caps for mine and do not want to mess it up....the LC9 has enough issues as it is.

Latest posts