LC9 Pro vs. Bersa 9mm Ultra Carry

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jeffnles1

Blackhawk
Fired the Bersa Thunder. Owned by a friend. It goes bang and seems to be reliable. Have no experience with the 9mm UC.

nekvermont

Buckeye
I carry a Bersa 9 UC every day in a "Sticky Holster". I have never had a malfunction of any kind in the 3 or 4 years I've owned it. I work with wood so it gets a lot of sawdust and dirt on it and I just blow it off with a air hose when it gets bad, keeps on functioning. It points very naturally for me. I think it's quite a bit bigger than the LC9 Pro but holds 6 rounds more. One thing that seems to get a lot of complaints is that it shoots low. This is because it has what people refer to as a "combat sight picture", you have to cover your target with the front dot and people don't realize that. I dislike that "combat sight picture" so I milled down my front sight so I can line up the tops of the front and rear sight. I'm not a expert marksman or anything but I think it shoots accurately, all shots in a 9" circle at 15 yds. I keep thinking about Sigs or CZ but I know they can't be anymore reliable and I don't know if I could shoot it any better. I also like the DA/SA platform with the decocker/safety. I think it's a winner!

I used to own a Bersa Ultra Compact Pro. It was huge! Too large for my intended purpose.

I believe the the Ultra Carry is something else but can't find any info on it.

A Bersa ultra compact pro to a Ruger LC9S Pro is like a Sig P229 to a Sig P938 (in size) at least.

EDIT:

Unless he is referring to the Bersa Conceal Carry!
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=504598187

In which case "this" gun is going to be much more along the lines of the Ruger LC9S. /S PRO

It's going to be MUCH closer in size to the Kahr CW9 however.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
I used to own a Bersa Ultra Compact Pro. It was huge! Too large for my intended purpose.

I believe the the Ultra Carry is something else but can't find any info on it.

A Bersa ultra compact pro to a Ruger LC9S Pro is like a Sig P229 to a Sig P938 (in size) at least.

EDIT:

Unless he is referring to the Bersa Conceal Carry!
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=504598187

In which case "this" gun is going to be much more along the lines of the Ruger LC9S. /S PRO

It's going to be MUCH closer in size to the Kahr CW9 however.

I have shot a Bersa BP9CC and handled another, they don't have a safety and the trigger is extremely light for a concealed carry gun.

...and you are correct, it is almost exactly the same size as a Kahr CW9, I have the quite a bit smaller CM9 and prefer that size range for a smaller but still IWB holstered pistol.

nekvermont said:
I carry a Bersa 9 UC every day in a "Sticky Holster". I have never had a malfunction of any kind in the 3 or 4 years I've owned it. I work with wood so it gets a lot of sawdust and dirt on it and I just blow it off with a air hose when it gets bad, keeps on functioning. It points very naturally for me. I think it's quite a bit bigger than the LC9 Pro but holds 6 rounds more. One thing that seems to get a lot of complaints is that it shoots low. This is because it has what people refer to as a "combat sight picture", you have to cover your target with the front dot and people don't realize that. I dislike that "combat sight picture" so I milled down my front sight so I can line up the tops of the front and rear sight. I'm not a expert marksman or anything but I think it shoots accurately, all shots in a 9" circle at 15 yds. I keep thinking about Sigs or CZ but I know they can't be anymore reliable and I don't know if I could shoot it any better. I also like the DA/SA platform with the decocker/safety. I think it's a winner!
Nekvermont,
This is great info! And I have enjoyed reading all the other posts as well. Thank you all.

chuckbri

Bearcat
Pistolero said:
I am considering the purchase of a compact 9mm semi-auto and looking at the LC9 Pro and the Bersa 9mm UC.
Both appear to be pretty good little autos. Has anyone out there owned and fired a Bersa?

Thank you,

I'll chime in. I have a Bersa UC, in .45, which will be very close to what you're looking at.

The Bersa's a DA/SA autoloader, with ambidextrous controls (reversible mag release). Trigger is good (IMHO & YMMV -- trigger perception is very individual).

The grip is fat. Because of that, and the DA trigger reach, I'd recommend to handle one first.

Magazines are pricy, if you're used to cheap and abundant 1911 or Glock magazines.

Any part is available directly from the US distributor, unlike some other brands I could name.

There are 2 versions out there. The current is the "Pro" version. The older non-pro had some differences -- no rail, conventional rifling instead of polygonal, proprietary sights.

I've had a few problems with mine, and may end up selling it off to fund something else.

I have both the Bersa Thunder 380 and the Ruger LC380 (the LC9 size not the LCP). The Bersa is twice as accurate.

The .380 Thunder is a completely different gun from the Ultra Carrys. Blowback vs. locked breech.

Suburbbus

Bearcat
I have the LC9s as well as the Bersa UC9 Pro. The Bersa does hold 13rds in mag versus 7 in the Ruger, but is also considerably heavier than the LC9s. I will carry the Ruger in a pocket holster if I want to really conceal it. If I am not worried about hiding it, I will generally carry my SR1911 CMD. The Bersa is a real quality handgun in my opinion and I have owned it considerably longer than the Ruger. I don't anticipate selling either one anytime soon. I recently bought my daughter a LC9s. For conceal-ability, the Ruger LC9 Pro will definitely take the prize, but I personally think the Bersa is a better quality handgun.