LC380

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Air-cooled

Single-Sixer
Is the LC380 Ruger's best 380? I ask because just going through the pics of ruger's compact semi-autos, the LC380 attracts my eye more than any of the others. Part of it, I'm sure is that it doesn't have that funky safety flipper in the trigger that I cannot stand. It just irks me that the one I like the looks of, is also the most expensive.

Last edited:

Cholo

Staff member
I don't think it is, but I'm not you. If any 380 is going to weigh 17.2 oz. it had better have a capacity of more than 7+1. I prefer the 12+1 LCP MAX weighing about 10.8 oz. with the 12 round magazine.

I admit the LC380 looks nice, but I'm not looking at my LCP MAX when it's in my pocket where it belongs.

dweis

Blackhawk
The LC380 is an old design — hammer fired with double action trigger. The trigger pull is similar to that of a revolver. It takes some skill to shoot it and maintain accuracy on repetitive shots. It was first introduced in 2013 and based upon the design of its big brother the LC9. The LC9 was replaced by the LC9s which was striker fired so it had a much easier trigger, Ruger never updated the LC380 in the same way.

I would not call it the best Ruger 380 because best is a personal opinion. Ruger has several 380 pistols now. If I were going to buy a Ruger 380 I would buy either the LCP Max or the Security 380. Both have excellent triggers and large capacity options. There is a substantial size difference between this 2 pistols. Each size has its own advantages.

HoosierBilly1

Bearcat
I have the LCP Max, the LC9(hammer fired like the LC380), and the Security 9 (which has the same trigger as the Security 380 and LCP Max). Knowing the trigger in the LC9 being the same as in the LC380, I can tell you from my experience that the Security 380, and the LCP Max both have a superior trigger than the LC380. Triggers are subjective to the liking of the shooter, but trying both is what will help you decide which is best for you. I had my LC9 for years. I also used to have a S&W Bodyguard. Once I pulled the trigger in the LCP MAX I knew I was also going to buy the Security 9. Now the Security 380 is in my radar. Not that I need it, but I want it.

Air-cooled

Single-Sixer
I guess the LC380 just has more metal...making it more expensive. I do own a Sig P238 that I like a lot, but if I come across an LC380 at a low price, I'll buy it. Guess I just like metal! Also, as well as it may perform, I don't like the safety flipper trigger in most of the Ruger semis.

hittman

Staff member
Guess I just like metal!
Then look into this …..

A981159B-63AD-460E-961D-20B2B2C19401.jpeg

As triggers are a personal thing, I'll chip in that i prefer the LC9 / LC 380 DAO trigger for a defensive firearm, especially if for a pocket carry piece. Trigger flippers and strikers aren't my thing, as I have been shooting revolvers for decades. Target or Hunting, then I do like a nice SA trigger pull.

Air-cooled

Single-Sixer
As triggers are a personal thing, I'll chip in that i prefer the LC9 / LC 380 DAO trigger for a defensive firearm, especially if for a pocket carry piece. Trigger flippers and strikers aren't my thing, as I have been shooting revolvers for decades. Target or Hunting, then I do like a nice SA trigger pull.
Agree 100%