LC380 FTL

Help Support Ruger Forum:

groberts

Single-Sixer
Finally took my wife's LC380 to the range to adjust the laser and put ther first rounds through it. While unloading the JHPs to put in FMJs for practice I had a round stick in the magazine. This would have been an FTL if I had not cought it now. It seems that when Ruger designed the insert in the 9MM magazine so it would handle the 380s they designed it a little tight. I have seen one other person talk about this but I don't think it was on this forum. So has anyone else run into this? What did you do about it? Also if others who have not run into it have sugestions I would appreciate it. For now I have loaded it with Remington Golden Sabers and am keeping the Fecerals for my Bersa Thunder 380 - it eats everything.

For info, the BT380 with the Crimson Trace laser is so much more accurate than the LC380 with the Laserlyte laser it was surprising. I feel it is the single action versus double action making the difference. However, a 3 inch grouping at 20 feet is good enough for home defense :)

DDubya

Single-Sixer
Had a similar problem with my wife's LC380. The magazine would not accept Fiocchi FMJ ammo. Remington was fine as was Hornady Critical Defense.

groberts

Single-Sixer
First, Ruger support is great - they are sending a replacement.
Second, standard Remington JHPs are longer than others, even the Remington Golden Sabres. Those are the ones hanging up. Federal JHPs are noticibly shorter.

George

Blackhawk
Are they hanging up in the gun ? How I read the OP's post he was unloading the JHP from the mag to use FMJ ammo for the range.. How I read it he was unloading his mag by hand and a round got kind a stuck or a few round got stuck this way.. If so they get stuck on the bullet casing itself.. If the gun was feeding them they would not get stuck on the edge of the mag with the case rim where the bullet is seated.. I think this is what sounds to be going on or at least it's how I read it.. Your gun will function with out this in actual use.. My wife's LC9 mag unload the same way.. Not a issue in use.. George

groberts

Single-Sixer
Actually the bullet was hanging up down inside the magazine. It looked like it was just too long - and that could indeed hang up while firing. This seems to be a standard problem discussed a lot on other forums. The insert they use to convert the LC9 magazine to an LC380 is just a tad too big. I compared the one I got with the gun to the replacement they sent and it's about 1mm different. Plus, like I said above changing the ammo to a slighter shorter round also works.