Latest Mini 30 Mag Update

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
DonD,

Thanks for the update...

I will have to make sure I set aside enough money for 4 or 5 of them.

20rd mags is exactly what I have been looking for for my mini-30

Did you get a timeline?

Charlie

welder

Buckeye
blume357":tf6qa1dd said:
I wonder if they,Ruger's bosses, will ever sit around the conference table and discuss how they are about 20 years late on this. Great news, now we'll see if they actually work!

I was thinking that very thing when I read the first post. I HOPE they work, surely they can get a twenty rounder to feed right. But we'll see?

Enteresting comment in the latest American Rifleman magazine in the article on AR-15 style guns in different calibers....

they write under the 7.62x39 round: "This is the cartridge that made the AK-47 and SKS famous. It's been around in AR-15 type rifles for many years, but it has never caught on because of magazine and feeding problems."

I wonder if the cartridge itself is part of the problem.... then again the Russians and chinese didn't seem to have a problem getting their rifles to work with it.

welder

Buckeye
I don't know Blume. I've heard that before. A few years back I helped a friend add a twenty rounder to his SKS. I don't remember the brand of Mag. but we could never get it to feed more than 3 or 4 rds. before it failed. He took it back off and stayed with the ten. I don't think I've seen an AK have any mag trouble though? You're right about the Chinese and Russians too. I just hope Ruger gets theirs right, I looked at a new Thirty just yesterday and the only thing between me and it is the mag problem.

AkRay

Single-Sixer
I'd rather have a 10 round mag for the Mini 30, but a 20 round sounds like it might have possibilities too.

I agree... I can say for a fact that a 30 rounder on a mini-30 is just too much for me when fully loaded... the bullets get kind of heavy... I've got a few after market 20 rounders for my mini 30 and they seem about right loaded with 15....

I have not shot the rifle in a while and really don't remember having too much trouble with it feeding, even with the after market mags... except for one.. then again I bought a couple American Eagle 10 round clear plastic mags off a guy on the internet and they are pure crap. They might work after being broken in or something... but I just don't seem to have the time to experiment with them.

sargents1

Single-Sixer
I think the problem with the AR's in 7.62x39 is that the magazine well is straight (because ARs were designed around the 223 rem which is a straight wall cartridge and has mags that are straight as well, at least they are straight where they are inserted into the mag well). The straight mag well doesnt play nice with tapered cartridges like 7.62x39 because the tapered cartridges need a mag with some arc to it like you see on Ak style rifles. With an AR Lower you cant have any arc to the magazine where it inserts into the mag well.

blume357":1feie6f7 said:
Enteresting comment in the latest American Rifleman magazine in the article on AR-15 style guns in different calibers....

they write under the 7.62x39 round: "This is the cartridge that made the AK-47 and SKS famous. It's been around in AR-15 type rifles for many years, but it has never caught on because of magazine and feeding problems."

I wonder if the cartridge itself is part of the problem.... then again the Russians and chinese didn't seem to have a problem getting their rifles to work with it.

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
Here's hoping. I have a box full of Mini 30 mags that aren't worth a darn. The biggest problem I see is that the factory 5 rounder is tapered from rear to front (looking down into the mag), and the aftermarket mags have parallel sides.

Latest posts