Late shipped Hawkeyes?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bigbore45colt

Hunter
Question for the more Hawkeye-experienced collectors out there...

I know that most Hawkeyes were manufactured roughly between Jan 1963 and late 1964 (my s/n 5 shipped in January 1963). I recently came across s/n 14XX that shipped, according to Ruger, in October, 1965.

Is this considered a significantly later ship date for a Hawkeye or, since they really didn't sell well, is it common to find them shipping almost a year after production ceased?

This gun is in like new condition, with a VERY plum Micro rear sight and trigger, some lightning streaks on the side of the frame, aluminum ERH, and pressed breech block.

Just curious.

Thanks,

BB45C

chet15

Hawkeye
It isn't serial number 1474 is it? That gun appears in JD's list of 10 factory seconds, with 1474 being inspected 5/24/63...but its anybody's guess when it was finally shipped.
I do know that not all of the "second" Hawkeye's were stamped with an "S" as I have handled #3154 also off that list that was once in the possession of Will Sprunger, an RCA field rep from long ago. 3154 also had a Super Blackhawk grip frame on it, but no "S" marking.
Chet15

bigbore45colt

Hunter
No, it isn't. I asked Ruger to pull the invoice and they said that there was no mention of it being a second or of being double shipped...

BB45C

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Here in the Near North Woods, Hawkeye SN 1839 has factory letters as an "S"; it has neither an "S" on the top rear of the barrel(proof mark) or on the front lower of frame. Assumes removal of the "S's" at time of high polish buffing; it also has a SBH grip frame. 8)
Further, writings indicate that Hawkeye(s) shipped as late as 1974 and there are reports of Hawkeyes still in current Ruger "Indiana Jones' type warehouse" inventories. We also recall the report of a Hawkeye incompletely factory modified to potentially chamber the 357 Maximum............ :wink:

flatgate

Hawkeye
HAWKEYE#28":1gf3tnxe said:
We also recall the report of a Hawkeye incompletely factory modified to potentially chamber the 357 Maximum............ :wink:

313350011.jpg

Looks like it's being tested by Bradshaw..

flatgate

chet15

Hawkeye
HAWKEYE#28":1pret4ee said:
Here in the Near North Woods, Hawkeye SN 1839 has factory letters as an "S"; it has neither an "S" on the top rear of the barrel(proof mark) or on the front lower of frame. Assumes removal of the "S's" at time of high polish buffing; it also has a SBH grip frame.

Possible. But I know of several guns that were shipped as "used" or "second" that never had an "S" stamped on them. These include N818 Bearcat, a 153xxx range Single-Six that I just heard about, the #3154 Hawkeye and don't forget the two 7-1/2" flattops that were returned to ruger, refurbished with their longer barrel, returned to stock and then reshipped (you have one of those).
Also the two .44 flattops that were in an employee's auction not too long ago that had the stainless steel welds on the recoil shield. Those two should have also been stamped with an "S" but weren't.
Chad