Last cowboy Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

winchesterbilly

Bearcat
:lol: I have a Ruger Last Cowboy new vaquero. I have shot 5 rounds thru it. It is already starting the famous Ruger cylinder ring. My question is would you smith this gun and make the pawl longer,live with the ring :cry: or not shoot it at all? :twisted:

flatgate

Hawkeye
Lengthen the "leg" of the cylinder latch or make a longer hammer plunger.

I STRONGLY prefer the longer cylinder latch leg, HOWEVER many of my compatriots are just as convinced the lengthened hammer plunger is the way to go.

:D

EVERY NEW MODEL shooter I own doesn't "ring the cylinder". A few were ringed when I got them and I've yet to reblue the cylinders....

Just My Humble Opinion,
flatgate

DGW1949

Hunter
Yeah on all the above.

Just to address your questions as posed;
It's too late to "not shoot it at all".
You already don't want to live with it.
Only thing left is to "smith this gun" before it gets worse.

If it turns out that you can't do it yourself, have it done.
If you do have the urge to fix it yourself, then good on you. Ya might want to buy a few replacement parts before beginning though. Practice on those first.
If/when you sell it later, you'll be glad that you fixed it early-on. Ever notice the sale-ads that state "no cylinder ring"?...those are the guns that bring the most money. Especialy when it comes to collector or special models. And rightly so....Nothing on a used SA glares back at you quite like a scared up cylinder.

DGW

winchesterbilly

Bearcat
:? DGW 1949, Just so there is no cofussion. Although I have a hell of a gun collection,I am not a "Gun Collector". I own alot of neat guns but I buy all of them with the full intention of shooting them. That being said I am less of a gunsmith than a Gun collector. I bought the last cowboy because it gives me a woody, But I would hate to totally screw it up tinkering at home. However, after talking with the super people on here, yourself included, It is something I am sure I can acchomplish myself. And I would like nothing more than to become proficent in smithing these fine guns! Thanks to all who have posted responses to my queries and to you flatgate for your insight! Hope to meet many of you at the RCA show in Harrisburg,PA :lol:

winchesterbilly

Bearcat
Contender, I look forward to it. Must you be a member of RCA to come to the show? The banquet? Also is there stuff for sale at the show? I haven't been to any RCA events and I would like to attend to see if RCA is for me or not? Thanks!!

flatgate

Hawkeye
It's just a regular gun show that has one section "taken over" by the Ruger Collectors! Lots of normal gun show stuff throughout the building then there will be the fantastic displays and some of the displayers' "trade tables" where lots of GENUINE RUGER GOODIES will be "bought/sold/traded".

I wish I could be there!

flatgate

winchesterbilly

Bearcat
:D Ok, So today I made a new plunger and ripped apart my new vaquero. The new plunger made a 50% improvement. So I made another one longer and tried again. This one snapped off the first time I cocked the gun. Now I realize why the cylinder latch needs to be lengthened and rounded. It looks to me that the best solution is both. Lenghen the hammer plunger AND modify the cylinder latch. The first time taking the gun apart I was expecting parts to fly everywhere, But this is not the case. I can't believe how easy it was. Thanks again you guys for helping me thru this, You have truely been helpful and insightful. I look forward to meeting some of you at RCA in Harrisburg,Pa. :wink: :wink:

Pinecone

Blackhawk
winchesterbilly, I have around 6 or 7 "try" plungers made up of different lengths and that has worked out well for me over the years. You just need to have patience in trying the various lengths until you get the "optimum" length then make up "that" one for your gun! You can get a 3/32" piece of 18" drill rod from Brownell's for around $3.00. I get 36" lengths from a local Industrial Supply for about $1.40! Often times, I have found that as little as .004 makes a difference between working "great" or snapping off! Once you make a few of these it becomes a 5 minute job to make one up..........................Dick :wink: