Large Rifle Magnum primers in 45/70?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
I assume there is no issue with me using LRM primers with Unique or Trailboss in 45/70 (marlin). The load does not call for a magnum primer. I know I've done this with 44 mags and never had an issue.

drew76

Bearcat
I've done it and had no issues. They shot fine. Of course, like any change of component calls for, start low and work your way up. Your pressures will be higher with with the mag primers than the standard ones so be aware of that.

Old Judge Creek

Single-Sixer
I wouldn't put a cartridge with either of those powder combos over a magnum primer in one of my rifles and I've been reloading since the mid 1950s - but that's just me.

My life long rule has been: If I can''t find the load documented in a book, I don't need to press my luck.

There're plenty enough loads and components tried and tested as safe for me to be gambling that I know more than the guys that load and scientifically test load combinations for a living.

redsouthpaw

Bearcat
I've used them with 4895 with good results.
When loading with unique I use large pistol primers. The pistol powders burn too fast to need a magnum primer.

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
Bucks Owin":9u9ny814 said:
Why would you want to? Availability? It's certainly not needed...Just curious, Dennis

Because I sold my 300 Win mag and I want to use the primers. Actually, I already loaed some up. I ended up with 4198 instead of the powders I mentioned.