Large Pistol Magnum Primer in 41 Magnum?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I went to the gun store about 3 weeks ago now and bought some primers. I'm not going back. I bought a variety including I thought Large Pistol Primers. However, I bought large MAGNUM Pistol Primers. CCI 350, Not CCI 300. Yes, this was a mistake... oh well.

I do have some CCI 300's, so I don't have to use the Magnums, but I'm curious and I don't want to just throw them away.

From what I've read, if loading for 41 Magnum, I can use the CCI 350 (magnum primer) IF I use H110 powder, since it is a slower burning powder.

Would I also be able to just put in a reduced load of powder, say Unique? and then use a Magnum Primer?

Any thoughts?

You will not blow up just because you used magnum primers. If you were pushing maximum loads, then maybe you could see a pressure spike. At low or mid-range, there should be no problem.

I have used small pistol magnum in 9mm.

Heck, Winchester primers are either/or.

contender

Ruger Guru
What does your various reloading manuals say?

If there isn't any data in the one of many manuals you own,, (get the hint here,) then as noted above,, you can still use the primers. Just reduce your powder charge a bit.

pleadthe2nd

Single-Sixer
I usually use WLP, but can't find any right now, however a friend bought 2000 CCI #350 by accident a few months ago, so I bought those from him, I loaded 50 with the CCI #350 primers and 16gr. AA#9 , and 50 with the WLP primers , bullet was rainier 220 cp, I couldn't tell the difference, this is in my Ruger super blackhawk hunter 41 mag. I did not chronograph this.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
Look at the Hodgdon online reloading data for .41 Mag. I think they say all their listed data for the .41 mag uses Mag primers. Same for the .357 data. They anticipated the substitution.

I load mostly Win primers. They say for magnum and regular loads. You could get the kindle version of Patrick Sweenys Reloading for handguns and read what he has to say about primers.
I think you are lucky to have those primers and can use them just fine. That is the primer I would pick for .357 and .41 mag if I did not have the Winchester stuff.

Thanks for the replies.

I loaded 80 cases yesterday afternoon with regular large primers and I'm going to load 20 today with magnum large primers.

As for reloading manuals. Yes, I've got several :D ....Nosler, Speer, Hornady (#9 and #10) Lyman, Lee and an antique manual by Naramore, but that wouldn't have the 41 magnum... They are interesting to read and are good to cross reference.

The older Speer manual does list both CCI 300 and 350, but usually the manuals list one primer for the caliber, not a different primer for each powder.

I'll look at Hogdgon's site. I like it as well.

mikld

Blackhawk
It's common reloading practice to reduce a load when there is any component change and work up if necessary. If I only had magnum primers I'd do another load work up (but I like reloading and it would be more fun).

I have used mag Primers in place of standards with zero problems could not tell the difference. Not an expert I think mag primer just gives a bit extra ignition, seriously doubt it raises pressure. Powder does work primers just touches it off. ps

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Only squib load I've had in 40 years of reloading, was a CCI 300 and H110 in a .45 Blackhawk. I traded half a brick of them for WLP Winchesters. I'm not using 300's again. I did find several bricks of Federal Mag primers last week. And more 2400 powder!

rkrcpa

Single-Sixer
It is recommended that standard primers be used when loading 2400. Old data has been updated to reflect the modern thinking on this.

I was looking for an accurate load for a .44mag Marlin Cowboy Limited....never did fid one and sold the gun, but a range aquaintance at the next bench offered to let me run some of the loads through his chronograph while he was there. Some of my loads had Federal match magnum primers and some had Federal LP match primers. I had already shot for group and the magnum match primer groups were smaller generally than the standard match primer loads. We made a mistake according to the Caldwell Chronograph directions and shot at about five feet rather than ten, but one round of each showed velocities to be lower with the mag primers but the accuracy better. I ran another of each because the results were unexpected and got the same result.
The loads I was testing were a .432 GT Bullets 240 HP with these charges which I remember as 6.5 gr. 700x, 8.0 W 231, 8.0 Unique, and 14.5 gr AA9 with a Speer Deep Curl 270. All were acceptable at 25 yds. but groups were 3 plus inches at 85 yds which is due to the gun's slow twist and oversized bore.
I did not save the targets, but I think the load was 8.0 gr. Unique that was the best so was likely the one that I ran through the chronograph.
None are heavy loads, but through the rifle were going 1400fps with std primers and several hundred less with the more accurate (in this very limited test) Federal magnum match primers. I would be interested to know if anyone else has had similar results, or are my results just a fluke.

Snakeeyes4445: I don't have a chronograph, but I do like 8 grains of Unique in my 45 with 250 grain bullets. (Similar time your 44 load.)

I hope someone can answer your question.

From memory, in one of Taffins books, I recall that he said he used 8.0 of Unique in both the .44 magnum and the Colt .45. That would be convenient as the same case holder accepts both case heads.
I haven't found a more accurate load for the .45 Colt and a Lazercast RNFP than 7.1 gr of W-231. 5.9 gr.of Tite Group was pretty close. I found the load in an old freebie Winchester shotshell reloading pamphlet.
It was the only load listed for the .45 Colt in that document.
I found that unusual and convincingly conclusive on their part.
The powder manufacturers have much to gain I think by sharing their researched best loads.
It is moderately annoying to have a manufacturer list four different powders and a wide range of charges that they consider safe. Granted, all guns are different, but I would like to start the process from a presumed sweet spot. Range and reloading time are not unlimited.
That is why I scour the internet for information, including personal reloading experiences.
I crosscheck of course with both the powder manufacturers and the bullet makers which are even better references. That's also why I share. Elmer's loads are all good as well as Taffins. I haven't had much luck with Skeeters.

Rclark

Hunter
seriously doubt it raises pressure
It does just a little bit, sometimes more depending on the powder. You can tell over the chronograph. For example: Back to Back tests with .45 Colt 8.0g Unique under 255g SWC, the velocities were std 977fps mag 985fps . Not much change but a little. In this case not enough to matter. Now take Longshot in .44 Mag. 10.0g Longshot under 240g SWC the velocities were std 1099 mag 1148fps. More velocity, more pressure. That's why I like doing back to back tests with powders. I can assure myself when and when not I can substitute primers. Plus you can see which is 'better' (ie. which is more consistent and 'should' be used for best accuracy). Since I mentioned consistency, take Unique load mentioned above, I got std 56 ES mag 82 ES . Standard in this case was more consistent. The Longshot load, I got std 65 ES mag 49 ES. My sample groups are 15 shots BTW.