Laminated Stocks

Help Support Ruger Forum:

diffy40

Single-Sixer
I recently acquired a Model 77 Serial # 770-669XX. According to Ruger, 1986 vintage. It has the tang safety, blued with a green laminated stock. I didn't think laminated stocks started that early. Can someone tell me when Ruger started using laminated stocks? I suspect it isn't original.

Last edited:

diffy40

Single-Sixer
M77R-Z (with rings, laminated stock in colors of green, red and blue-gray)

Is the stock checkered with a grip cap? A rare model.

Check the Ruger SN look up. https://ruger.com/dataProcess/serialHistory/

The Ruger SN look up is where I got the date. 1986
It has a grip cap but isn't checkered.
With what arcticruger says the stock is probably not original to the gun.
Oh well, it's still a nice piece for the price.
1664385666798.jpeg

308longdistance

Blackhawk
"The Ruger SN look up is where I got the date. 1986
It has a grip cap but isn't checkered.
With what arcticruger says the stock is probably not original to the gun.
Oh well, it's still a nice piece for the price."

Maybe, maybe not! Did the SN lookup have a model number? If it did maybe Ruger can tell you the exact configuration of your M77.

wKR4VlT.jpg
omupCiU.jpg

ZuZyNf2.jpg

Both of the M77R-Z listed above, *with pistol grip cap and no checkering*, were shipped in 1986........So maybe. Check your model number against the two know "extremely rare" M77R-Z above. One is a 30-06, M# 07704, the other is 7MM Rem Mag, M# 07703.

You would undoubtedly need a factory letter from Ruger, or the original box to be sure of configuration.

Last edited:

chet15

Hawkeye
I recently acquired a Model 77 Serial # 770-669XX. According to Ruger, 1986 vintage. It has the tang safety, blued with a green laminated stock. I didn't think laminated stocks started that early. Can someone tell me when Ruger started using laminated stocks? I suspect it isn't original.
For the green laminate, the earliest serial number I have noted is 770-68002, so do not doubt you have a factory green laminate. Just plug your serial number into Ruger's serial number lookup page and let us know what the model number is.
These did come out in 1986.
Next, the earliest guns have a grip cap and checkered stock... the RZ is pretty tough to come by anyway, but with grip cap and checkered stock is extremely rare!
The RZ in .270 is model number 7702, the 7mm is model number 7703 and the 30-06 is model 7704.
I also have some notes on the VZ that they made a very few of in .22-250 but I'm getting conflicting model numbers of 7711 and 7720.
Post some pics if you have a chance and let everybody see what a really rare laminate that is.
Chet15

Last edited:

hittman

Staff member
Chet15 is right. Put in the serial number and get the Model. It tells almost everything.

A $10 letter from Ruger would be in order if it were mine.

diffy40

Single-Sixer
Ruger SN lookup says Model #00711. There's a picture a couple posts up. I didn't get the box with this one. Would the letters, RZ or VZ be stamped on the gun? It only has Model 77 stamped on it.

hittman

Staff member
Well dang it. My mistake. I was thinking of the Ruger description being there, not the model number 00711. Sorry.

No, the RZ or VZ and stuff like that not stamped on the gun. Be worth a $10 letter from Ruger to me.